SSD issues are preventing some from receiving the Windows 10 20H2 update

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Microsoft started rolling out the latest Windows 10 feature update—Windows 10 version 20H2—at the end of last month, but an SSD compatibility problem means not everyone is able to install it.

In a support notice, Microsoft writes that some users could encounter an error message during the installation of Windows 10 version 20H2 that reads: "Your PC has hardware that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10. Windows Update will automatically offer you this version of Windows 10 once the issue has been resolved."

The problem occurs with Windows 10 devices using at least one Thunderbolt NVMe SSD and any currently available version of the stornvme.sys driver file. Microsoft writes that affected Windows 10 devices won't be offered version 20H2 until it has addressed the problem, thereby safeguarding the update experience.

"On affected devices, when plugging in a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD you might receive a stop error with a blue screen and 'DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION (e6) An illegal DMA operation was attempted by a driver being verified'," Microsoft explains.

The Redmond firm says it is working on a solution to the problem and expects it to be resolved by late November, so Windows 10 users with Thunderbolt NVMe SSDs desperate to update their OS don't have too long to wait. It also recommends not using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool to update manually.

Windows 10 version 20H2 doesn't bring a massive number of changes, though it does introduce a refreshed Start Menu, Settings, Alt+Tab interface, and more. You can check out everything new right here.

Permalink to story.

I'm done with Windows, after my current PC dies, Windows no more.
So because they are avoiding potential problems and only offering the update to users where it is safe to use -you have a problem?
Sir you forgot to use critical thinking and just went in a caveman voice "Microsoft bad, updates bad, change bad!!!"

All OS, ALL OF THEM, linux, Mac Os and everything else has issues with updates, stop hating.

It didn't happen to me, so a few people must be getting unlucky...

;P
Yes, it sounds like it is limited to very specific hardware. If you do not own that hardware, you're OK. However, it seems that they can detect that and not deliver WinDohs updates to machines that meet those specifications. Microsoft must finally be realizing that there WinDohs 10 updates do cause problems. I have one machine on 1809 that will not update further after that update as after trying to update it further, it rebooted to BSOD, and said it was rolling back the update. I contacted Microsoft tech support about it and all I got was "try to reinstall". Uh, no. Unacceptable solution, IMO. I'll stay at 1809 on that machine if I have to. I have no ideal whether this update will install or not, and I am not sure I will take the time to find out.
So because they are avoiding potential problems and only offering the update to users where it is safe to use -you have a problem?
Sir you forgot to use critical thinking and just went in a caveman voice "Microsoft bad, updates bad, change bad!!!"

All OS, ALL OF THEM, linux, Mac Os and everything else has issues with updates, stop hating.
I've been using openSuSE for a while. Some of their previous updates did cause problems for me, however, I reported these problems on the support forums and they were fixed. It has been at least a couple of years for me where any further openSuSE updates have caused problems for me. Perhaps for others, though.

So I am not buying the argument that Microsoft does not really have control over the issues that WinDohs updates cause - especially problems where the system boots to a completely unusable black screen with only a mouse cursor that happened to me one time.

I'm still on 1909.

Any attempt to upgrade to 2004 or 2H20 reboots to a boot inaccessible with it rolling back to 1909. And since my system is very stable I can't be bother with that crap right now.

Some wonderful quality assurance testing here! NOT! Where in the Microsoft test plan for 20H2 was a line item to test Thunderbolt NVMe SSD with a stornvme.sys driver? Answer: Not there. Microsoft consistly shoots itself in the foot with new releases by not making complete lists of hardware to test, and checking off either yes or no when tested. And why do drivers break from release to release? Is this also an absence of testing? Who is changing driver APIs? And, please, nobody should respond by saying that there are too many hardware items and too many hardware combinations and permutations to test as thoroughly as needed. If Satya wants to hire me to help develop software release test plans, I am available at an appropriate hourly rate.

I had a slightly different experience. After update, the computer wouldn't boot and had the blue didn't that no boot disk was recognized. This is on my Lenovo Yoga 920. After checking around, and panicking that my SSD had gone bad, I discovered that after deleting the SSD in Device Manager and forcing a new driver install, it worked fine. No more error messages. After subsequent windows update, same thing. Same solution. I am sure this is related to the announcement.

Mainstream linux distros don't have update issues with anywhere near the frequency and magnitude Windows 10 appears to have. Neither did earlier versions of Windows, for that matter.

Mainstream linux distros don't have update issues with anywhere near the frequency and magnitude Windows 10 appears to have. Neither did earlier versions of Windows, for that matter.

If you want to quote frequency of occurrences then you also need to take into account amount of users/installs.
I'm willing to bet that all the people using any mainstream distro of Linux combined, is less than the people that have problems with widows updates.

You are already admitting that it does happen. So the point still stands

I have 3 computers in my office that every day say they need to update. In the evening I select update and shutdown. The next morning when I turn them on the first message I see on the screen is "restart to apply update". This is the same every day for the last month or so............

Those guys are somewhat lucky.
2004 and 2009 versions are basically still in beta version quality.
I defer feature updates for a year in Settings app, so I'm still using the more stable 1909.

Yes, it sounds like it is limited to very specific hardware. If you do not own that hardware, you're OK. However, it seems that they can detect that and not deliver WinDohs updates to machines that meet those specifications. Microsoft must finally be realizing that there WinDohs 10 updates do cause problems. I have one machine on 1809 that will not update further after that update as after trying to update it further, it rebooted to BSOD, and said it was rolling back the update. I contacted Microsoft tech support about it and all I got was "try to reinstall". Uh, no. Unacceptable solution, IMO. I'll stay at 1809 on that machine if I have to. I have no ideal whether this update will install or not, and I am not sure I will take the time to find out.

I've been using openSuSE for a while. Some of their previous updates did cause problems for me, however, I reported these problems on the support forums and they were fixed. It has been at least a couple of years for me where any further openSuSE updates have caused problems for me. Perhaps for others, though.

So I am not buying the argument that Microsoft does not really have control over the issues that WinDohs updates cause - especially problems where the system boots to a completely unusable black screen with only a mouse cursor that happened to me one time.
I like suse. Its yast is very powerful control panel since 1990s.
But my apps are only windows based, so I sticks with windows for now.

I have 3 computers in my office that every day say they need to update. In the evening I select update and shutdown. The next morning when I turn them on the first message I see on the screen is "restart to apply update". This is the same every day for the last month or so............
Because the default shutdown is fast shutdown, I.e. hibernate.
You need to either restart them or disable fast shutdown.

I'm still on 1909.

Any attempt to upgrade to 2004 or 2H20 reboots to a boot inaccessible with it rolling back to 1909. And since my system is very stable I can't be bother with that crap right now.
I had an issue with my old x99 mobo where it wouldn't update to new windows version, but turns out it was because MSI didn't send out microcode update via bios like all the other brand.

I had an issue with my old x99 mobo where it wouldn't update to new windows version, but turns out it was because MSI didn't send out microcode update via bios like all the other brand.

Well I'm on a Asus X570 build with a bios that was released 10/23/2020 so I don't think the age of my system is the issue.

I've seen this before on another older build I had where you could upgrade with maybe two newer builds then the 3rd build an issue like this. Which required a full install of the new build on a clean drive to get it booting. However I'm not going that way on my newer build. I will just wait to see what the next build does after 20H2.

Back