Star Wars Battlefront II's Celebration Edition is free on the Epic Games Store

Polycount

Staff
Freebie: If you've been steering clear of Battlefront 2 due to the microtransaction controversy that surrounded it on launch, now might be your chance to give it a try. The game is pretty entertaining these days, by all accounts, and you can snag its Celebration Edition for the low, low price of $0 on the Epic Games Store now.

We don't know what sort of deal Epic had to strike with EA to convince the publisher to give away one of its more popular Star Wars games for free, but we certainly won't be complaining. The Celebration Edition would normally run you a whopping $40, so this is one of Epic's better freebies.

The Celebration Edition includes the base Battlefront 2 experience, as well as all of the cosmetic content released up to December 20, 2019, right from the get-go.

You won't have to unlock any skins whatsoever, through in-game currency or otherwise. Content that affects progression, such as Battlefront 2's once-notorious "Star Cards" (these give heroes access to new or buffed abilities), will still need to be earned in-game, however.

Battlefront 2, for the unaware, is a team-based shooter that lets players duke it out across a variety of Star Wars-themed battlefields. You'll need to pick a class and work together with your allies to capture control points, extract payloads, or simply eliminate the opposing team.

The longer you last in a match, the more points you'll earn, eventually allowing you to take control of a powerful and iconic Star Wars hero for one life -- examples include Boba Fett, the Emperor, and Anakin Skywalker. If all of that sounds like your cup of tea, be sure to grab Epic's latest freebie sometime before January 21, which is when the deal ends.

Permalink to story.

EGS and EA is like a patch of stinking toxic algae floating on top of an open pit of sewage, a perfectly feculent match for people with no sense of smell or taste to dive right into

Added it. EA may have gone along since it‘s an older game (still a goodie) and in return they get new users to sign up as you need an EA / Origin account.

Epic is the best launcher around right now, best prices and best free games, best deal for developers too.

Epic is the best launcher around right now, best prices and best free games, best deal for developers too.
Yet I wouldn't buy anything from it purely based on their terrible business practice of paying off developers for exclusivity rights.

If you wanted the best prices, places like CDKeys was and still is some of the best places for prices.

And best Launcher?! What are you on about? I can't even be bothered to list the amount of features it's missing compared to the competition.

Yet I wouldn't buy anything from it purely based on their terrible business practice of paying off developers for exclusivity rights.

If you wanted the best prices, places like CDKeys was and still is some of the best places for prices.

And best Launcher?! What are you on about? I can't even be bothered to list the amount of features it's missing compared to the competition.
Don’t buy anything off it then. But it has the best prices. Sure you can get good prices on allkeyshop or whatever but they are just marketplaces and actually it’s not always the case.

Your claim of “terrible business practises” is such bullshit. The games are exclusive to the launchers, not you. Playing a game is the same no matter which launcher you use. It’s an excuse you and other steam fanboys use to attempt to justify your fanboyism (or hide your inability to use more than one launcher). Which is iromic as steam is a festering heap of garbage these days. Slow, buggy and out of date. They rip off developes and customers and they even get *****s on the internet cheerleading for them to do it and encouraging people to spend more money and boycott the competition.

There is nothing rational about boycotting epic games store. It works and it isn’t going to go away. At somepoint you might just wrap your head around being able to have more than one launcher in your pc and you can benefit from it to.

Your claim of “terrible business practises” is such bullshit. The games are exclusive to the launchers, not you. Playing a game is the same no matter which launcher you use. It’s an excuse you and other steam fanboys use to attempt to justify your fanboyism (or hide your inability to use more than one launcher). Which is iromic as steam is a festering heap of garbage these days. Slow, buggy and out of date. They rip off developes and customers and they even get *****s on the internet cheerleading for them to do it and encouraging people to spend more money and boycott the competition.
Interesting, you might have taken a leap of faith there thinking I was standing up for Steam here. I rarely use Steam these days, I mainly use Battle.Net just to play WoW.

Either way, several games have been on Steam in at least a pre-order state, then suddenly taken down to be moved to Epic and they didn't do it for free. Epic paid off the developers. That to me, set's a bad trend, just pay everyone off and force the use of our store rather than give any meaningful reason to use our Launcher (If they actually had lower prices over Steam and had the same games, why wouldn't I just buy it on EGS?).

On top of this, Since when was Steam hot garbage? Have you used Battle.Net or Origin in the last... ever? Battle.Net can't cope with a single CoD update, bringing the whole service to it's knees and Origin hasn't ever really worked 100%, randomly crashing, settings being greyed out, overlay not working or breaking games outright etc... Steam ain't perfect, but at least it can update games and doesn't bug out to the point of breaking games.

There is nothing rational about boycotting epic games store. It works and it isn’t going to go away. At somepoint you might just wrap your head around being able to have more than one launcher in your pc and you can benefit from it to.
Literally have all launchers on my PC, well I think I do, Steam, Origin, Battle.Net, uPlay, GoG Galaxy, RSI Launcher, Minecraft Launcher and Valorant. I used to have EGS Launcher to play Unreal Tournament but they've completely stop development and put everything into Fortnite.

I never said it was going away, I'd rather it didn't and kept competition alive, but I'm not giving this company, that will pay developers to make their products exclusive for a time period, any business. I doubt it even helps developers at all considering the size of the audiences on Steam and GoG.

The only real benefit has been the games released on EGS first have mostly had quite bad launch day bugs or performance issues, I don't consider the games launched until they've launched outside of EGS of which, by then, they've been patched up and play properly. So I get the benefit of either a cheaper game that's also been patched up or it comes out with extra DLC added in.

Until they stop the practice of paying off developers for exclusivity deals, I can't take EGS seriously. Developers would make more money by releasing their games across multiple stores, period.

Interesting, you might have taken a leap of faith there thinking I was standing up for Steam here. I rarely use Steam these days, I mainly use Battle.Net just to play WoW.

Either way, several games have been on Steam in at least a pre-order state, then suddenly taken down to be moved to Epic and they didn't do it for free. Epic paid off the developers. That to me, set's a bad trend, just pay everyone off and force the use of our store rather than give any meaningful reason to use our Launcher (If they actually had lower prices over Steam and had the same games, why wouldn't I just buy it on EGS?).

On top of this, Since when was Steam hot garbage? Have you used Battle.Net or Origin in the last... ever? Battle.Net can't cope with a single CoD update, bringing the whole service to it's knees and Origin hasn't ever really worked 100%, randomly crashing, settings being greyed out, overlay not working or breaking games outright etc... Steam ain't perfect, but at least it can update games and doesn't bug out to the point of breaking games.

Literally have all launchers on my PC, well I think I do, Steam, Origin, Battle.Net, uPlay, GoG Galaxy, RSI Launcher, Minecraft Launcher and Valorant. I used to have EGS Launcher to play Unreal Tournament but they've completely stop development and put everything into Fortnite.

I never said it was going away, I'd rather it didn't and kept competition alive, but I'm not giving this company, that will pay developers to make their products exclusive for a time period, any business. I doubt it even helps developers at all considering the size of the audiences on Steam and GoG.

The only real benefit has been the games released on EGS first have mostly had quite bad launch day bugs or performance issues, I don't consider the games launched until they've launched outside of EGS of which, by then, they've been patched up and play properly. So I get the benefit of either a cheaper game that's also been patched up or it comes out with extra DLC added in.

Until they stop the practice of paying off developers for exclusivity deals, I can't take EGS seriously. Developers would make more money by releasing their games across multiple stores, period.
Why do you single out epic? Microsoft pay developers for exclusivity on its Xbox platform. In fact Microsoft goes even further and buys entire devs out for it. And Ubisoft pay devs to have games exclusively on uplay. EA do the same on origin. In fact the only launcher you would use if you don’t like launcher companies paying developers for exclusivity is steam and steam rips the devs off by taking 1/3 of all the money that is spent in there.

There is no rational reason to boycott epic games store. It’s nothing but childish tribalism over the name of the piece of software that launches games.

Why do you single out epic? Microsoft pay developers for exclusivity on its Xbox platform. In fact Microsoft goes even further and buys entire devs out for it. And Ubisoft pay devs to have games exclusively on uplay. EA do the same on origin.
Those Publishers are publishing games from developers they already have agreements with. The devs never claimed their game was coming to Steam, they've always been upfront about them only being on Origin and they certainly never put the games up on Steam for pre-order.

Also, pretty certain EA own Dice, Bioware etc... Same with Ubisoft and their developers. It's common sense why those games are exclusive to their own launchers. (Worth adding here, in recent times Ubi and EA put their games on Steam as well).

Epic doesn't own 4A Games, they don't own Obsidian Entertainment, or Gearbox Software. They paid them to specifically remove the game from pre-order on Steam to use their Launcher. Rather than going "Hey, fancy putting your game on our store to? We'll give you a bigger cut than Steam." And advertising the fact they do that, you know, actually trying to compete, they just paid for exclusivity.

Xbox and PlayStation Exclusives are completely different as they're mainly first party games (Microsoft and/or Sony own the developers outright).

In fact the only launcher you would use if you don’t like launcher companies paying developers for exclusivity is steam
And GoG and again, see above comment, EA own their devs, Ubi as well, that all makes sense.
Steam rips the devs off by taking 1/3 of all the money that is spent in there.
Ah, the usual rubbish, that's only true for low volume sales, the big games that actually signed this exclusive deal would have sold far past the 1/3 money. It takes 30% only from the first $10 million in sales. For all sales between $10 million and $50 million, the split goes to 25%. For every sale after the initial $50 million, Steam takes just a 20% cut.

I'm sorry but for the audience size, infrastructure (All the features that require server space (cloud saves, mod support, streaming, achievements, screenshots, Patches, this list is actually pretty long) ongoing development costs and maintenance, 20% is fair. I'm pretty certain that's part of the reason EA's gone back to Steam, they've just learnt that actually, it does cost to run a half decent Store...

There is no rational reason to boycott epic games store. It’s nothing but childish tribalism over the name of the piece of software that launches games.
Not at all, I won't give my money to a company that openly thinks paying off and forcing the use of it's launcher is a good thing. PC has always been about choice, GoG is a good example of how to start actually competing with Steam.

All Epic had to do was be better than Steam, instead, they just tried to force the choice, I don't like that, they don't get my money, pretty simple.

Those Publishers are publishing games from developers they already have agreements with. The devs never claimed their game was coming to Steam, they've always been upfront about them only being on Origin and they certainly never put the games up on Steam for pre-order.

Also, pretty certain EA own Dice, Bioware etc... Same with Ubisoft and their developers. It's common sense why those games are exclusive to their own launchers. (Worth adding here, in recent times Ubi and EA put their games on Steam as well).

Epic doesn't own 4A Games, they don't own Obsidian Entertainment, or Gearbox Software. They paid them to specifically remove the game from pre-order on Steam to use their Launcher. Rather than going "Hey, fancy putting your game on our store to? We'll give you a bigger cut than Steam." And advertising the fact they do that, you know, actually trying to compete, they just paid for exclusivity.

Xbox and PlayStation Exclusives are completely different as they're mainly first party games (Microsoft and/or Sony own the developers outright).

And GoG and again, see above comment, EA own their devs, Ubi as well, that all makes sense.

Ah, the usual rubbish, that's only true for low volume sales, the big games that actually signed this exclusive deal would have sold far past the 1/3 money. It takes 30% only from the first $10 million in sales. For all sales between $10 million and $50 million, the split goes to 25%. For every sale after the initial $50 million, Steam takes just a 20% cut.

I'm sorry but for the audience size, infrastructure (All the features that require server space (cloud saves, mod support, streaming, achievements, screenshots, Patches, this list is actually pretty long) ongoing development costs and maintenance, 20% is fair. I'm pretty certain that's part of the reason EA's gone back to Steam, they've just learnt that actually, it does cost to run a half decent Store...

Not at all, I won't give my money to a company that openly thinks paying off and forcing the use of it's launcher is a good thing. PC has always been about choice, GoG is a good example of how to start actually competing with Steam.

All Epic had to do was be better than Steam, instead, they just tried to force the choice, I don't like that, they don't get my money, pretty simple.
Your comment is a load of garbage. I mean it all falls down when you learn that all the games on Xbox, Uplay and Origin are not first party. You make the laughable claim that all other exclusives not on epic are first party. Xbox is a launcher on the PC with several third party games available on it that MS paid to have exclusivity for. But you won’t turn on them, it doesn’t fit your fantasy.

You have created some fantasy where Epic is evil. You can live in it all you like but the reality is epic is just another launcher and actually they are more ethical than steam as they charge developers less than steam. You even attempt to justify their high prices like a very loyal corporate stooge. Steam do NOT need your cash more than the people who actually made the game do.

All you do when you announce that you don’t support Epic paying devs for exclusivity is tell the community that you don’t have a clue what you are talking about and that you have an irrational emotional connection to the name of the programme that launches games...

Xbox is a launcher on the PC with several third party games available on it that MS paid to have exclusivity for. But you won’t turn on them, it doesn’t fit your fantasy.
I've never used it, I'll happily turn on it as well then! Xbox App, also on my list of "never getting my money ever".

You have created some fantasy where Epic is evil.
Not really, there are plenty of companies I don't give the time of day because I disagree with their practices. You're creating the fantasy here, I'm simply not giving them any business because I disagree with the way they go about things.
You can live in it all you like but the reality is epic is just another launcher and actually they are more ethical than steam as they charge developers less than steam. You even attempt to justify their high prices like a very loyal corporate stooge. Steam do NOT need your cash more than the people who actually made the game do.
Completely disagree, Developers aren't starving, they're paid decently and game publishers have billions in the bank, They also don't have the running costs of hosting the games and all that comes with running an online store. Remember, Steam hosts these games, Lets take a random look into my Steam library one sec...

Lol, this is a good one as it was developed by Epic Games, Unreal Tournament 2004. Right now I can download on Steam, browse some Mods to add to it, find a server and play the game, do you reckon Epic are paying Valve something to host the game still? Just think about that for a second, Valve took 20% of a game that cost me £10 when I purchased it 8 years ago, so for £2 they continue to host the game and keep it going, seemingly, so far, unlimitedly. That's a decent length of time. I know it's not anywhere near the scale of Steam's infrastructure but I've had to move a fair few clients into the cloud over the last year, be it Azure, AWS or utilizing the Microsoft 365 platform, £2 to last 8 years doesn't get you anything, nothing at all.

20% is justified and Developers aren't poor. I really couldn't care less if EA / Dice got more or less money from one Launcher or another, the difference in Launchers and prices are what I base my purchases on, if a launcher has the same game but cheaper, I'll buy it there, if it's the same price, I'll go with whichever launcher is better, If I'm forced to use a launcher because the publisher owns the developer, I don't like it but I can live with it as it makes logical sense. Putting games up for pre-order on Steam, then essentially bribing the developers / publishers to take it down and put it on your own store to force it's use? That's not something I'm willing to encourage at all.

All you do when you announce that you don’t support Epic paying devs for exclusivity is tell the community that you don’t have a clue what you are talking about and that you have an irrational emotional connection to the name of the programme that launches games...
Is that so? Interesting, I'll let the misses know, I'm sure she'd like to see this "emotional" side of me.

Interestingly, if you read our comments back, you're the one being emotional! I use logic and reason to convey my argument, you get shouty and have absolutely no points other than "they pay devs more!". Cool story, I'm sure those billion dollar publishers/developers need it and not the companies actually hosting the games at all...

Edit: You can't even buy Epics back catalogue on their own store! Haha! Proves my points even more. Incredible. "You want to buy one of our older games? Oh, we don't host that, that would cost money, so we sell it on our competitors platform instead, then complain about them charging us for hosting it..."

Last edited:
I've never used it, I'll happily turn on it as well then! Xbox App, also on my list of "never getting my money ever".

Not really, there are plenty of companies I don't give the time of day because I disagree with their practices. You're creating the fantasy here, I'm simply not giving them any business because I disagree with the way they go about things.

Completely disagree, Developers aren't starving, they're paid decently and game publishers have billions in the bank, They also don't have the running costs of hosting the games and all that comes with running an online store. Remember, Steam hosts these games, Lets take a random look into my Steam library one sec...

Lol, this is a good one as it was developed by Epic Games, Unreal Tournament 2004. Right now I can download on Steam, browse some Mods to add to it, find a server and play the game, do you reckon Epic are paying Valve something to host the game still? Just think about that for a second, Valve took 20% of a game that cost me £10 when I purchased it 8 years ago, so for £2 they continue to host the game and keep it going, seemingly, so far, unlimitedly. That's a decent length of time. I know it's not anywhere near the scale of Steam's infrastructure but I've had to move a fair few clients into the cloud over the last year, be it Azure, AWS or utilizing the Microsoft 365 platform, £2 to last 8 years doesn't get you anything, nothing at all.

20% is justified and Developers aren't poor. I really couldn't care less if EA / Dice got more or less money from one Launcher or another, the difference in Launchers and prices are what I base my purchases on, if a launcher has the same game but cheaper, I'll buy it there, if it's the same price, I'll go with whichever launcher is better, If I'm forced to use a launcher because the publisher owns the developer, I don't like it but I can live with it as it makes logical sense. Putting games up for pre-order on Steam, then essentially bribing the developers / publishers to take it down and put it on your own store to force it's use? That's not something I'm willing to encourage at all.

Is that so? Interesting, I'll let the misses know, I'm sure she'd like to see this "emotional" side of me.

Interestingly, if you read our comments back, you're the one being emotional! I use logic and reason to convey my argument, you get shouty and have absolutely no points other than "they pay devs more!". Cool story, I'm sure those billion dollar publishers/developers need it and not the companies actually hosting the games at all...

Edit: You can't even buy Epics back catalogue on their own store! Haha! Proves my points even more. Incredible. "You want to buy one of our older games? Oh, we don't host that, that would cost money, so we sell it on our competitors platform instead, then complain about them charging us for hosting it..."
I get it. You have an irrational dislike of epic. Your explanation as to why is factually incorrect and doesn’t make any sense. But I understand that deep down, you just hate epic.

There are several marketplaces that allow developers to sell games to consumers. Epic chargers developers less to sell and consumers less to buy than all the others. And somehow you got to the conclusion that this is anti-competive.

you are flat out wrong of course. But you won’t admit it and I can’t be bothered to listen anymore. I will continue to buy games from epic despite your incoherent ramblings.

Your explanation as to why is factually incorrect and doesn’t make any sense.
I cannot believe I'm having to link the articles, like come on, if you're going to argue, at least do a quick Google...
Example of a game that was up for pre-order on Steam and suddenly moved to Epic:
Example of basic features missing on their launcher:
Examples of basic features missing and clearly their business practices aren't that healthy:

But I understand that deep down, you just hate epic.
You couldn't be more wrong, Unreal Tournament is what got me into PC Gaming, Gears of War is what sold me on getting an Xbox 360, I've had nothing but love for Epic, I was following the Unreal Tournament reboot (and played the Alpha a fair amount) until they shifted everything to Fortnite.
There are several marketplaces that allow developers to sell games to consumers. Epic chargers developers less to sell and consumers less to buy than all the others. And somehow you got to the conclusion that this is anti-competive.
That's what Exclusivity deals are yeah, anti-competitive, EA forcing you to use Origin to play Battlefield is Anti-Consumer. Epic bribing developers to use it's Launcher Exclusively when they already put their game up on another launcher for pre-order, That's Anti-Competitive.
you are flat out wrong of course. But you won’t admit it and I can’t be bothered to listen anymore. I will continue to buy games from epic despite your incoherent ramblings.
Agreed, I can't be bothered with this anymore either, I never said you should stop, you go right ahead buddy, not my money, I don't care what you do with it, I was just correcting your comment about Epic's Launcher being better than, well anything else out there really.

If you do respond again though, the only thing I'd like an answer on really, Why can't I buy Epic's back catalogue on their store? I'd gladly buy UT2004 again on their launcher, Why do they sell it on Steam and not their own Launcher?

I cannot believe I'm having to link the articles, like come on, if you're going to argue, at least do a quick Google...
Example of a game that was up for pre-order on Steam and suddenly moved to Epic:
Example of basic features missing on their launcher:
Examples of basic features missing and clearly their business practices aren't that healthy:

You couldn't be more wrong, Unreal Tournament is what got me into PC Gaming, Gears of War is what sold me on getting an Xbox 360, I've had nothing but love for Epic, I was following the Unreal Tournament reboot (and played the Alpha a fair amount) until they shifted everything to Fortnite.

That's what Exclusivity deals are yeah, anti-competitive, EA forcing you to use Origin to play Battlefield is Anti-Consumer. Epic bribing developers to use it's Launcher Exclusively when they already put their game up on another launcher for pre-order, That's Anti-Competitive.

Agreed, I can't be bothered with this anymore either, I never said you should stop, you go right ahead buddy, not my money, I don't care what you do with it, I was just correcting your comment about Epic's Launcher being better than, well anything else out there really.

If you do respond again though, the only thing I'd like an answer on really, Why can't I buy Epic's back catalogue on their store? I'd gladly buy UT2004 again on their launcher, Why do they sell it on Steam and not their own Launcher?
Epic games is not anti competitive no matter how much you type mate. Your examples are not relevant and have proven nothing at all.

Ah cool, we'll just ignore all the evidence then ;)

Still though, what's your theory on why they don't sell their back catalogue on EGS?
What evidence? Nothing you quoted shows epic being “anti-competitive”. You just showed evidence which shows how the epic games store might hurt steam, competitively.
And I have no idea why epic don’t sell their back-catalogue, youl have to ask them mate.

EGS itself is a competitor, if you’re against its existence that makes you are anti-competitive.

You even attempt to justify their high prices like a very loyal corporate stooge. Steam do NOT need your cash more than the people who actually made the game do.
And you're falling for epic's virtue signaling. They went down with their cut cause they get their money elsewhere from the industry, the unreal engine. And this not only in gaming.
I'm only bringing this up cause you want to paint epic as some saint and valve as some internet baddie, when the one causing all the ruckus is epic and 30% is internet/digital standard.

> All you do when you announce that you don’t support Epic paying devs for exclusivity is tell the community that you don’t have a clue what you are talking about and that you have an irrational emotional connection to the name of the programme that launches games...

cause you do.
so what's your position in the gaming industry?

don't worry, epic will probably pick up once the 80's born kids will stop playing so you can stop flapping your wings. ur daddy (and the CCP) will be your overlord then and instead of charging $25 for fortnite skins, it will be $30 or $50 lol. (not that there's anything inherently bad with raising prices.)
where is epic's contribution to Linux/Proton.

but yea, ppl see contracts as something holy. they're nothing but contingencies in case one party starts to act up. all it involves is (usually) some fee once tthey act up.

And you're falling for epic's virtue signaling. They went down with their cut cause they get their money elsewhere from the industry, the unreal engine. And this not only in gaming.
I'm only bringing this up cause you want to paint epic as some saint and valve as some internet baddie, when the one causing all the ruckus is epic and 30% is internet/digital standard.

> All you do when you announce that you don’t support Epic paying devs for exclusivity is tell the community that you don’t have a clue what you are talking about and that you have an irrational emotional connection to the name of the programme that launches games...

cause you do.
so what's your position in the gaming industry?

don't worry, epic will probably pick up once the 80's born kids will stop playing so you can stop flapping your wings. ur daddy (and the CCP) will be your overlord then and instead of charging $25 for fortnite skins, it will be $30 or $50 lol. (not that there's anything inherently bad with raising prices.)
where is epic's contribution to Linux/Proton.

but yea, ppl see contracts as something holy. they're nothing but contingencies in case one party starts to act up. all it involves is (usually) some fee once tthey act up.
I absolutely do not have an emotional attachment to any games launcher.

I usually buy games on epic because they are cheaper. Take control, I bought that last month on epic for £12 whilst I was £20 on steam. Why on earth would I pay more for it on steam?

haven’t fallen for anything. It’s a fact that epic charge devs less to sell on their marketplace than Steam does. And personally I don’t see why steam should keep 30% of every sale. They definitely do not need it, they are literally making billions in profits every year. But yeah, it’s not a “virtue signal” to state this! Especially as I’m quite happy to admit that I don’t actually care so much about that.

But yeah, answer my question. Why should I or anyone pay substantially more for the same game on steam than on epic?

Back