Starfield Optimization Guide: Tweak your GPU Settings for Best Performance

The DLSS mod is as easy as they come and improved my performance and visual quality over FSR.

Makes you question why it's not included in the game if it was this easy to mod in to be honest...

Given how easy it is, would be nice to see it added here in the future.

Am I the only one that do not see any difference from low to ultra in the first picture?

I'm happy to report the performance of Starfield in my Xbox Series X is smooth and wonderful, without any of these "optimization" headaches. I'm a Gamepass Subscriber and got this free on my XBSX.

P.S. This is coming from an owner of 4090 too. I don't think I will purchase it yet for my PC. Will wait for the sale after 1 or 2 years with all add-ons and bugs ironed out, with official inevitable DLSS.

I just installed the game and reached the first city. The game looks the same no matter what quality presets are used and no matter the resolution used. No upscaler was used.
50-100 fps at 2560x1440 or 800x600.
Good thing I didn't pay for this game because it feels like a Fallout game.
Uninstalling...

Bethesda support claiming arc770 is below 1070ti 🤡
When will those people run out of ridiculous excuses for being lazy.

08_intel_arc_a770_jest_ponizej_minimalnych_wymagan_gry_starfield_tak_twierdzi_dzial_wsparcia_bethesdy_1_b.png

Last edited:
Alex Battaglia @ Digital foundry just post their PC breakdown and optimization guide a few minutes ago highlighting shadow quality as the primary bugbear to Nvidia GPU performance. Just going from Ultra to High makes a decent improvement to FPS as well as noticeably reducing frame times.

I'm happy to report the performance of Starfield in my Xbox Series X is smooth and wonderful, without any of these "optimization" headaches. I'm a Gamepass Subscriber and got this free on my XBSX.

P.S. This is coming from an owner of 4090 too. I don't think I will purchase it yet for my PC. Will wait for the sale after 1 or 2 years with all add-ons and bugs ironed out, with official inevitable DLSS.
At 30fps? Pretty sure the 4090 can do 30 fps without breaking a sweat.

I just installed the game and reached the first city. The game looks the same no matter what quality presets are used and no matter the resolution used. No upscaler was used.
50-100 fps at 2560x1440 or 800x600.
Good thing I didn't pay for this game because it feels like a Fallout game.
Uninstalling...
anything fun to do in the game ?

At 30fps? Pretty sure the 4090 can do 30 fps without breaking a sweat.
You have to play it in Xbox SX to see the smoothness. I was afraid it was going to be jerky like Call of Juarez (XB360 game) in the XBSX, but Starfield is surprisingly playing well. (This is coming from someone who strives to get the minimum 1% @ 60fps at 4K at maximum settings in prior games using the 4090.)

[But then, I also still enjoy DOS games with VGA and EGA graphics, so my perception may be different.]

This is an evolution/continuation of gamebryo engine right? The most unstable and crashtastic game engine in the entire history of video games.

That's one of the first things I did, which was tweak those settings I could. I also disabled FSR since I tend to play at a fixed 1080.

So far, I've been quite happy but haven't yet gotten into the game much due to RL impacts on my free time currently.

Back