Start-up problem with graph card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have a new dell inspiron 530 (3 weeks old). I have also bought a new ati x1950pro graphic card and a new PSU, Earthwatts 500W. I installed both units and it worked good. I could see a big performance boost in games so the card did its job. Then two days later I get a start-up problem.
When I turn the computer on it starts to power up for about 5 seconds then just dies. After another 5 sec it turns on itself but lose power/turns itself off again. Then it goes on again and this time works fine, but now it is using the integrated card instead of the new, (have to move monitor cable.)

This is happening every time I turn on the computer. Fail two times then works whitout the new graphics card. I have looked at the fan on the card when turning on. It spins the few seconds it got power in the two failed tries, then don't on the third. BIOS settings is PCI first, so I guess the card is detected but something doesnt work out as it should.
If I remove the 6-pin cable from PSU to card the computer starts-ups on first try, (doesn't try the PCIE-card.)

I started the computer about 5-7 times when card was working. All i did those times was playing LOTRO and surfing. I didn't notice anything strange when it worked. No strange sounds from computer or anything on screen. Everything worked perfect when I turned off the computer last time before the problems.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back