Startup freezing and small lag spikes after adding new hardware

Hey guys My name is Joey. This is the first computer i some what built myself.

Lemme start with the specs

ASUS Essentio CG5270-BP003

750 GB Serial ATA hard drive

NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express x16 graphics card

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 / 2.5 GHz

8.0 GB DDR2

The above specs are stock.

Ok so here is my story about 3 weeks ago i installed a Asus GTX460 top video card... and every thing ran fine but when i played a game called batman arkham asylum I would some times get a blue screen saying some thing about my hardware...

So i talked to a few friends and they suggested that it may be my power supply. stock my pc comes with a 400w and my video card calls for 450w so hey it might be possible.

Sooo i ordered a corsair 750w power supply and i also ordered a arctic cooling heat sink and fan i figured there may have been a slight chance it was over heating.

Ok so great i installed both the power supply and the heatsink i added new arctic silver compound to my processor every thing went great.

First start up went great played batman for about a hour no blue screen... I was very happy but at times i noticed i would lag when ever i opened a door ( odd i know ) but i could swear it never happened before.

and so about 4 days ago out of the blue my computer is giving me problems starting up freezing at random point in the start up and even occasionally just idol at my desktop. So i figured some how i got a virus downloading some thing so i just reformatted to windows vista ultimate x64 ( same OS i have all ways used ) and i am still getting the same problem.

I am just learning how to build computers and diagnose problems etc. Some ones mentioned in previous threads to check your bios who was having a freezing problem. I don't exactly know how to do that.

I did double check and my hard drive is plugged in properly and every thing. please any input is great appreciated.

Back