Static electricity and mouse

D

Dalton

Having some weird problem with my computer I just put together last night. In my main computer my mouse works fine and there are no issues but with the computer I put together, every time I get up off my chair and I am charged with static electricity, my mouse light blinks and even goes right out especially when I touch the metal on the chair and the mouse loses power and I am not even touching the computer or mouse or anything near the mouse but the chair. I tried a different PSU cause I thought maybe that might be causing it and unplugged hardware and it still did it. Also want to mention that I did a stupid thing and I forgot my HDD wasn't plugged in and plugged it in while the computer was on then it shut off and I turned it back on and there was display but then it went blank or it was already blank (can't remember) so I did a hard shutdown and unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked ok. Could there possibly be some sort of grounding problem?

Is the a/c power cord properly grounded to the case of the PC? On domestic (U.S.A) house wiring, a green wire from the power cord should go directly to the PC case (somewhere, likely inside the PSU).

Using brass and plastic standoffs and it seems to be sitting ok. For the PSU, the wall I have it plugged into has ground. I found a bad cap right next to the CPU, I wonder if that would be causing any problems?

No green wire, never had to do that before. From Canada so is that just for the US?

OUCH. U.S.A. a/c wall plates are three wires; Hot(black), Neutral(white), Ground(green).
Hot and Neutral are vertical and side-by-side with the Ground below and centered between.

The green wire is bonded (as they say) to any screw/bolt {on the PC CASE} using a spade connector.

You might like to see this description for three pronged wall sockets

another for two pronged

a polarized 2-plug

Canada & USA shared the NEMA 1-15 for many years
NEMA 1-15 (15 A/125 V ungrounded)

Unpolarized NEMA 1-15 plug
Main article: NEMA 1
This plug and socket, with two flat parallel non-coplanar blades and slots, is used in most of North America and on the east coast of South America on lamps and double insulated small appliances that don't require a ground. It is standardized in the US by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA)[35] Ungrounded NEMA 1-15 sockets have been prohibited in new construction in the United States and Canada since 1962, but remain in many older homes and are still sold for replacement. NEMA 1-15 plugs are still common because they are compatible with NEMA 5-15 (grounding) sockets.​
Initially, both blades were the same width, so the plug could be inserted into the socket either way around. Plugs manufactured since the 1950s are polarized; the neutral blade is wider than the live blade, so the plug can be inserted only one way. Polarized NEMA 1-15 plugs will not fit into unpolarized sockets, which possess only narrow slots. NEMA 1-15 plugs will fit NEMA 5-15 grounded sockets, which have a wider slot for the neutral blade. Some devices that do not distinguish between neutral and live, such as internally isolated electronic power supplies, are still produced with unpolarized narrow blades.

that last statement would appear to be true in your situation.

Likely you are aware that static discharge can ruin memory chips and other components.
If you intend to return to Canada, then you need to seek a temporary solution. Otherwise, I would recommend you
replace the two wire cord with a USA three wire grounded version.

Most modern PCs have a connector like
or
images

Yea my cord is the one with the 3 prong, with the ground. Don't think I have seen any other besides that one. Just wondering if a bad cap would cause issues like this. It's right next to the CPU and says LGA 775 beside it. Seeing lots of bad ones lately.

Hmm; fix any bad caps, but that's not going to solve the static discharge issue. If you're getting discharge when touching the case, then the case is not grounded and you will have this problem until you fix that too.

Well I'll probably just throw the motherboard out and try a different one soon as I can, Thanks.

Suggest you get one of these and ensure the wall socket is correct - - it's a nice to have tool anyway
Outlet_Polarity_Tester.jpg

Back