static IP resets to default router IP on reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

Ok this is a seriously messed up problem. I know how to fix it though, just annoying.

This just started happening recently, as in today. I found that I restarted my computer and I couldn't log onto ANYTHING. So I did ipconfig and found that my IP had changed to some default one. I can't remember exactly what it was, but something like 192.160.0.1

So after my last network problem I did (this is for XP) "ipconfig /release", then "ipconfig /renew" This took care of the problem and reassigned me to the campus, but it is just a pain in the to get it working properly. There are probably 50 comptuers in the house and every single one has to do this. It gets annoying.

I am curious if anyone can shed some light on this. Is it a campus problem? A problem with our hub in the house (we have 1 downstairs in basement-8port, 2 on 1st floor-both 8ports, and one upstairs-24 ports)? Each room most likely has a hub of their own to share connection between the 2 roommates computers.

I hope this is enough detail. I have been asked to fix about 10 computers so they can get on the internet and it is pissing me off, easy but annoying.

Ok I just restarted my laptop and I see that the IP is 192.168.0.3

The default gateway is 192.168.0.1

Maybe this info will help.....

HOLY @#$^%@ I think I just figured out the problem.

Man I am an *****, never even crossed my mind. The problem was with my router I just installed. It was acting as a new DHCP server, not the campus one.

Oh well, I'll just leave this problem up here if someone else might have it.

If nothing else it shows how a complete ***** I am :blush:

Why not 'assign' an ip address to each computer instead of have it look for one automatically. Go into the the network properties and into the TCP/IP properties and specify the information to make it assign an ip address. What is the ipaddress of your computer supposed to be? 192.168.0.***? Or does it start with 10? Or is it a real ip address assigned by the ISP. The whole campus internet throws me off but if i understand it i can help you.

That is all wasted time and effort. I know what you are saying, but to go through all 50 computers in my house would be ridiculous. And I turned off DHCP support on the router itself and all is well now. Still makes me mad that I didn't think of it. I'll probably go to bed now and not think about it anymore.....>Yeah that sounds good, but maybe after a beer first.......or 2......who knows.......

hehe, if that didn't work, you could always just put a .bat file in the startup folder that has ipconfig /renew in it.

yes its unnecessary but it'd work.

I know I currently have one of these to take care of my netshare's to help protect from hackers. It would get old if I had to send one to everyone in my house.

I'm just glad that I figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back