Static shock case power button... mobo fried?

Late night I was in bed, then I remembered that I needed to pay a bill that was due the next day. So I jump out of bed, and right to my PC. I reach for the power button with my static charged finger, unawares, and get a shocking surprise. I didnt actually press the button, but the PC fired up anyway...only to power down 3 seconds later. So I ground myself (too late), and press the power button. Nothing..no response.
Next I open the case and press the power button on the mobo...no response. The power and reset button on the mobo are lit up btw. So then I unplug my power cord from the psu, wait for the pc to drain completely, then plug the cord back in. Right when I plug the power cord back in the pc fires up, then dies 3 seconds later.
I've tried:
-shorting out the battery
-resetting cmos
-screwdriver to the case power pin
-bench test
All with the same result.
Heres my hardware:
CASE: Thermaltake MK-I Chaser
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB
MOBO: Asus P8Z68V PRO/GEN3
MEM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 (4x4)
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Windows 7 Home
Dont know what to do next. I bought everything in February of 2012, so everything should be under warranty if qualified.
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you've fried something important. You could probably try getting an RMA on the board, but they might realize what has happened.

I feel for you bro. I did a similar thing with a motherboard not too long ago. :(

The PSU I have is a SilverStone SST-ST 1000p

I'll test it later to be sure. I also should try 1 mem stick at a time to eliminate any mem problems.

If it is the mobo, hope the shock didnt hit the CPU. Won't know that until I get a new board. If I gave Asus vague info like it won't post, would they accept an RMA?

I'd do the PSU test right away, it'll help narrow your problems down.

They may or ma not accept the RMA, depends how honest you are with them.

Yea, I'll do it first thing when I get home from work. Hope it's just the PSU. We'll see then take it from there. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the responses

It sounds like the motherboard to me and shows what can happen when you zap the motherboard with static electricity. This is why there are all the warnings about avoiding static discharges. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really blaming you because this could have happened to anyone.

I think you did the right thing by testing the other parts to rule them out. Now when you attempt the RMA you can tell them you tested them already. As for what Asus will do, we'll see I guess.

Yeah...fresh pjs out of the dryer and sliding out of bed. First thing I touch is my PC power button. Not very smart. Never really knew that could happen like that. Now I know.
Filled out an RMA form and repackaged the board. Now I play the waiting game on if I have to buy a new board or not. I'll update when I get more info. Thanks to anyone what replied.

I thought most modern boards have static protection circuitry that absorbs the shock. At least, that's what they say in their ads. I'll have to be more careful in the future, even though I live in Florida, where it's so humid you only get static shocks on a few cold days each year. I never even bother with wrist straps, I just ground one hand to the chassis before touching anything.

Last update: Got the board back from ASUS. Don't know what they did with it, but my beast is back up and running. Yep, it was the mobo. Thanks to those that helped

Thank you for getting back to us with the update. We appreciate it. Glad it got fixed and all is well.

Back