Steam knocks 50% off Dead Space, preps Mass Effect and Dragon Age weekend sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you happen to have a thing for EA games, then there's still time to take advantage of Steam's week-long EA extravaganza. The online game store launched "EA Week" this Monday and they're slashing prices on different titles every day until Sunday, June 21.

Those late to the party have already missed major savings on games like Crysis, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight, but you're just in time to score 75% off Mirror's Edge ($4.99), $50% off Dead Space ($9.99), and 33% off Spore and its expansions ($60.27 for the complete pack). Also, based on leaked images circulating online, Valve has a stellar lineup planned for this weekend.

The company was a bit reckless in designing the promotion, reportedly naming each day's promo image identically except for the day itself. Gamers were quick to figure that out and collected all of the sale images prematurely. The pictures show that "Mass Effect Day" is set for Saturday and Sunday is "Dragon Age Day" so you can expect massive discounts on both Mass Effect titles, as well as Dragon Age: Origins and its downloadable content.

And of course, if you're up for some multiplayer action with TechSpot regulars and staff members, you can find many of us through TechSpot's Steam group.

Permalink to story.

Steam is my favorite place to purchase PC games. Best Buy and Game Stop PC Gaming sections have become smaller and smaller over the last few years. A sign of where DVD's and CD's are headed. Steam has some of the best PC game sales anywhere and It's cool that you can catch some of the older games that may have been missed a few years back. Finally got Crysis and I'm enjoying it.

Yeah they are a great service, I've bought more PC games from them in the last year than I have any retail store in the last three.

"massive discounts" i beg to differ.. I bet mass effect (1) will go for around 5 US dollars but not sure about the sequal. surely not 50% off or even 40&, I say this because looking at the pass days sales.. weak!

Guest said:
"massive discounts" i beg to differ.. I bet mass effect (1) will go for around 5 US dollars but not sure about the sequal. surely not 50% off or even 40&, I say this because looking at the pass days sales.. weak!
you would complain about a 20% or even a 10% sale, maybe a 10% or 20% increase in price will make you feel better

If it wasn't for the fact that I much rather have a physical copy of anything I purchase, I would jump into purchasing game downloads head first.

However, the downside of buying a DVD/CD, is that if scratched or lost, you're screwed.

It's just brilliant! This is the best way to fight pirate copies. I'm happy to pay $10 for a game rather than download. Thats the way Steam.

For the record, Mass Effect 2 is discounted by 40% today, bringing the total price to $23.99 ;).

I actually happen to not have a thing for EA games, I'll be sure to avoid the sale at all costs ^_^.

Yep they(EA) sure did along with some natsy DRM.. Spore comes to mind..

But, yes Steam is a great place to buy games at fair prices..

hey i'm the guest that complained about the "massive discounts" Heres my point, this was a sale but what i noticed that after the price was dropped on each game i found my self amazed at how the price just went down to retail value... Yea sure Mass effect 2 went down to $23.99 but i just checked Amazon and > "29 new from $24.99 17 used from $14.99" The same example can be done for alot of the games that were for sale this week. My beef was with the word "massive" really. Happy Gaming :)

hey i'm the guest that complained about the "massive discounts" Heres my point, this was a sale but what i noticed that after the price was dropped on each game i found my self amazed at how the price just went down to retail value... Yea sure Mass effect 2 went down to $23.99 but i just checked Amazon and > "29 new from $24.99 17 used from $14.99" The same example can be done for alot of the games that were for sale this week. My beef was with the word "massive" really. Happy Gaming :)

No it wasn't your point.
@ Amazon Price: $28.97 + $9.99 shipping = $38.96 for 1 day, or wait 7-14 days

or..$24.99 + 3.99 shipping = $28.98 & wait a week

and this is if you get one of the 'massive' 14 copies.

Steam= $23.99 & play now

nice try;)

red1776:

Funny, when I looked at it, it told me it was eligible for free shipping...

red1776:

Funny, when I looked at it, it told me it was eligible for free shipping...

read the free shipping qualifications and limitations, The $24.99 Mass Effect 2 you think makes steam look so bad is actually sold @ Amazon Marketplace and has a 3.99 shipping fee and takes up to (are you sitting down?) 21 business days! you can get it here faster, but it will cost you.

this is the OG guest from the long post idk who the guest above me is. But his rebuttal is flawless, purchases from Amazon that are above 20 something(not sure) qualify for free shipping. and calm on red1776, did u search mass effect 2, then copy and past the highest prices you saw to make your argument? surely thats what you did because i copy and pasted the lowest prices. but really who goes to Amazon to buy the same item for the most $.

this is the OG guest from the long post idk who the guest above me is. But his rebuttal is flawless, purchases from Amazon that are above 20 something(not sure) qualify for free shipping. and calm on red1776, did u search mass effect 2, then copy and past the highest prices you saw to make your argument? surely thats what you did because i copy and pasted the lowest prices. but really who goes to Amazon to buy the same item for the most $.

that's BS, they start at $25 and go up from there.(that's why it says 29 newFROM $24.99. unless you want used
Here's the whole page see Mass effect 2 for (among others)
$55.56
+ $7.05shipping
$48.53
+ $7.05shipping
$40.98
+ $9.76shipping etc....etc and
again,read the free shipping qualifications and limitations, The $24.99 Mass Effect 2 you think makes steam look so bad is actually sold @ Amazon Marketplace and has a 3.99 shipping fee and takes up to (are you sitting down?) 21 business days! you can get it here faster, but it will cost you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001VJ4DHK/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back