Stock overflow message

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkouns001

OS, Windows XP, I have IE7 and in trying to open comments in the Washington Post paper, I received an IE message that says: Stack overflow at line#96

Can anyone tell me what this means and if there is anything that I can do to correct it? Thanks.

FYI: What is a stack overflow?
In software, a stack overflow occurs when too much memory is used on the call stack. In many programming languages the call stack contains a limited amount of memory, usually determined at the start of the program. The size of the call stack depends on many factors, including the programming language, machine architecture, multi-threading, and amount of available memory. When too much memory is used on the call stack the stack is said to overflow; typically resulting in a program crash. This class of software bug is usually caused by one of two types of programming errors.

It appears you have posted this question on multiple sites. You were asked this question on one site:
Do you get the same error when navigating to other web sites?

This reply followed:
If t
If this happens ONLY on a specific site, it is cause by a WEB coding error on the site NOT on your system.
To which you replied:
thank you, that is the only site where I encounter that message.

Does this resolve the problem for you?

Thank you for explaining stock overflow. I now know what it is but I am not sure how to respond to it. I hope you are indicating that this is an issue with WaPo website and not me.

Your comment that I had posted this on another site sets me back a bit....is this not allowed?

Stack overflow is created by BAD SOFTWARE. When it occurs not only does the
program crash, but depending upon other situations, special code may get called in
such a way as to literally 'take over the system'.

Stack overflow is an exploit that is used by many virus'. As most of these are
intentionally induced by buffer overflow, software updates are the typical fix to
avoid the condition.

1) make sure you have the latest fixes for your browser
2) stay current with MS Update
3) install Spywareblaster to avoid bad ActiveX *.ocx files

I hope you are indicating that this is an issue with WaPo website and not me.
Yes, if it's only this one site.

I was able to open this URL: Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/

Firefox had notice 'prevented automatic redirect'. I get this same thing on USA Today. News sites are continually updating and a browser security feature is to prevent it being done automatically. However you should have the option to 'allow' and get the most current page.

Your comment that I had posted this on another site sets me back a bit....is this not allowed?
It's no a question of being 'allowed'- you may post on numerous sites. But I find that sometimes a user has not gone back to read the replies. So I saved you the trip and quoted them for you. It was not meant to 'put you off' but rather to bring you to the current reply status.

And it's always a good idea to return to those site and leave message that question has been resolved when it is.

I'll be glad to check the site for you if you give me the URL. I will use Firefox v3.0.7 and IE6.

Thanks very much for your respond. I am relatively new, and thought maybe that I made a faux pas, your explanation helps explain. I check the site when I recieve an email stating that I have a response, I do not generally check it unless I recieve notification of a response.

Thanks for confirming that it is not a problem with my system. As your suggestion, I returned to the site, and was able to open and read the comments on the article. I could read the article, just unable to open the comment section and read the comments. Thank you for offering to check it out for me though, you have ben extremely helpful.

You're welcome- glad to help. I went back to the site and looked for a 'Comment' section. didn't find one, but instead found "Opinions" here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/opinions/?nid%3Dtop_opinions

I actually 'backed' into this section. When I clicked on 'Opinions', I was takes to a registration page. It had a very long URL. But the last section of the URL is the one I posted above. Will that work for you? I don't know whether you want to read or make comments.

Thanks for the update. Can we consider the problem resolved? Site work might have been done to resolve the programming error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back