Strange printing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

serviceme

I have a PC i'm currently working on that has been having issues with it's printing. When a document or anything is told to print, it appears in the printer's queue, and nothing else happens.

Until the PC is restarted or shutdown, occasionally it'll start printing as XP is shutting down, other times it'll start the print as the PC is starting back up.

This leads me to believe that it's something that's running with XP, eg a service, that's stopping the print from happening, yet i've checked the startup programs, in regedit and in msconfig, and there's nothing out of the ordinary starting up (that shows up there anyway). I've tried killing off every process in task manager that isn't essential, and it doesn't cause the job to go through.

Also, when left to itself, the job will eventually print, after giving it around 15 mins to sit there.

I've tried a different USB cable, a different usb port, a different PCI usb card, a different PC alltogether - which the printer worked fine on - and updated drivers for the printer. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, this seems weird to me.

Fixed the problem, turns out there's a separate program installed alongside the drivers (when it was first installed using the CD). Program was corrupt, so when i uninstalled this and reinstalled the drivers (again) without this software, it's all good. String around finger now to check all programs listed in Add/Remove programs next time. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back