Stuck at Windows starting screen, but after multiple reboots eventually works?

xtimmmyx

Ok my set up is:

ASUS CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner
Thermaltake toughpower 750W ATX12V
2X XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 in Crossfire
4x Seagate Barracuda 250GB gard drives in RAID 5 for data storage
3X OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB DDR3 1600
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
OCZ Agility 2 40GB for OS
HTOmega Claro Halo XT Sound Card

My problem is is that on a cold boot i get the stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen approximately 15 times before the computer finally boots all the way through. Then, usually, but i dont want to test it, the computer will reboot successfully until i cut it completely off and come back the next day. It boots into safe mode just fine everytime.

Ive tried reseating all hardware, disabling all non microsoft services, installing all new drivers for everything and I found one problem were the molex connecter for power was disconnected from one of the video cards, but this did not actually fix the issue. Ive also tried disconnecting different peripherals and such but that didnt work either, once i gave up on trying some things and put everything back to normal, 3 reboots later it worked again so i decided to post here and ask for help.

Thanks a lot guys. (I hope its not the Power Supply, saving that for last)

UPDATE: I removed one of the graphics cards and everything works fine now, is this a power problem?

hi xtimymx,

Its unlikely to be a powersupply fault but it may be a power problem on the Graphics Card itself. how long you had the card? would try an RMA on it just incase there is a fualt there.

James

The card is only about 2 months old, and I was using a Molex adapter to give it power. The computer was in storage for a month and before i was in storage everything worked fine, just set it up the other day and it just started having this problem. Could it be the way im giving the card its power? Or are you sure its probably just a power issue on the card itself?

Back