Stuck in Automatic Repair

James00007

My drive letters have been mixed up and I'm Stuck in Automatic Repair.

in command prompt diskpart list disk and list

From what I remember C was SSD with OS, D was Raptor, E was Medion, F and G was Backup or Medion Temp (not sure which way around on this one). I think the failed drive is a drive that failed a while ago so I'm hoping thats nothing to worry about.

A little confused on what to do next to get these in the right order to get me back into windows using diskpart options:

select disk 0 ; selects the first disk
list volume ;shows all of the volumes on the selected disk and their drive letter and size
select volume 0 ; used to select the volume on the first disk
assign letter=e ; changes the drive letter assignment to a new drive letter e in this case.
list volume ; use this to show your changes are what you want them to be.
select volume 2 ; this is the volume that has windows on my machine and needs to be set to drive c
assign letter=c ; this assigns the drive letter to that volume
list volume ; use this to confirm your changes=
exit ; use this to exit the diskparm.exe program

Would it be better to organise these as is or maybe try removing some drives first?
I want to be sure how to proceed before making matters worse.

Could be your MBR got corrupted. Hit C: (enter) then "dir" , then try D: (enter) then "dir" ((go throught alphabet until you find your windows drive then I would try these steps. : (I am guessing you have Windows 10 since no info is there)
Enter troubleshooting with a windows disk and select Command Prompt
type:
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /ScanOs
bootrec /RebuildBcd
exit
Reboot
then run diskpart again and "list disk"
Please provide you operating system info. If you have another operating system other than Windows 10, here is a link to tell you how to repair the mbr for them... https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/

Last edited:
Hi @Paul Haywood. May I make a suggestion? Please look at the date of the thread you're replying on. This thread
is Dec 13 2016. It's very old.;)
PS Welcome to techspot.

Ha! yep. youre right. My bad.
N/P Just trying to help you when you're helping here on TS. Take your time and reply on threads where you think you have a good suggestion for the problem.;) We have a great bunch of helpers here on TS and always welcome new members willing to help solve windows issues.;) Welcome aboard.

Back