Study shows Google's tracking practices go way beyond Location History

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
A hot potato: Ever since the Associated Press exposed that Google is still tracking users who have turned off Location History on their accounts, the company has come under intense scrutiny. A new study finds that Location History and Web & App Activity are only the tip of the iceberg.

A new study titled “Google Data Collection” published on Tuesday catalogs how much data Google is collecting from users and how it is cobbled together to make a salable product. The analysis was conducted by Vanderbilt University Computer Science Professor Douglas C. Schmidt. While many of his findings are not surprising, they are nonetheless remarkable.

Schmidt’s study reveals that stationary idle Android devices send information to Google servers nearly ten times more often than iPhones communicate with Apple servers. Digital Content Next reports that in a 24-hour period, the Android device sent data to Google 340 times. Location information comprised about 35 percent of the data samples. This finding was conducted with Chrome and Safari running in the background of the respective devices.

Furthermore, much of the supposedly anonymous data is stitched together with personally identifiable information by Google.

“Google has the ability to associate anonymous data collected through passive means with the personal information of the user. Google makes this association largely through advertising technologies, many of which Google controls. Advertising identifiers—which are purportedly “user anonymous” and collect activity data on apps and third-party webpage visits—can get associated with a user’s real Google identity through passing of device-level identification information to Google servers by an Android device.”

All of this data collection can and does happen while the user is not even actively engaged in using the phone. During active periods the data collection increases significantly.

For example, Schmidt reports that the search behemoth can and does associate the “DoubleClick cookie” with users’ Google accounts. This cookie tracks activity on third party websites. If a user were to pull up a Google application, say Gmail, in the same browser that contains the DoubleClick cookie, it could associate that tracking information with the user’s Google account.

Android also frequently uploads location information obtained via WiFi.

“The ubiquity of Wi-Fi hubs has made location tracking quite frequent,” said Schmidt. “For example, during a short 15- minute walk around a residential neighborhood, an Android device sent nine location requests to Google. The request collectively contained ~100 unique BSSIDs of public and private Wi-Fi access points.”

More astonishing is the fact that even if you have WiFi turned off, Android is still tracking you. This is because it continues to scan for available signals. There is an entirely separate setting for WiFi scanning that needs to be disabled before WiFi tracking is entirely turned off.

This less than intuitive method for preventing Google from tracking your location using WiFi is similar to the multi-step process for disabling Location History and Web & App Activity that brought about all this scrutiny in the first place. Lack of transparency and difficulty in opting out is the main complaint, and it seems that it is happening on multiple levels.

Furthermore, Google is capable of determining your activity from the location data that it uploads with a high degree of accuracy. Combining location coordinates at frequent intervals with sensor data from the phone’s accelerometer, the company can conclude whether you are walking, running, riding a bike, driving in a car, or even taking a train. This is evidenced by the snapshot from a Google user location upload below.

A Google spokesperson responding to concerns about the DoubleClick cookie’s utilization in Incognito Mode pointed out that a DC lobbyist group commissioned Schmidt's study and that Schmidt is also a witness for Oracle in their suit against Google.

“So, it's no surprise that it contains wildly misleading information,” the spokesperson said.

Of course, any amount of salt that you should be advised to take with this study can equally be applied to any denials from Google. After all, this is its business model — this is the price that is exacted for offering “free” services.

Nothing is ever truly free. How does Google pay for those virtually unlimited Gmail accounts? Or Google Docs? Or any other “free” service the company provides? The consumer is the product. User’s who don’t want to be tracked and targeted for advertising by Google should simply stop using its services, that includes the Android operating system. For two billion Android users, this is easier said than done.

It is not limited to just Google though. If you are getting something for nothing from anybody, dig deeper — something is being gained by the person or business offering you the free stuff.

Images via Douglas C. Schmidt

Permalink to story.

At over $500 CAD my phone is certainly not 'free'. Only reason to have google email is it is required to get the phone working (unless I am a chump), I've dumped Chrome, dumped the Google search page on my home PC and don't use wi-fi on the phone because my data cap is high enough I don't need it. Don't use any Cloud services, have tracking and location turned off...……….and now this, WTF, thanks Google
this makes me so upset it looks like it's time to learn how to root this thing and strip out all the Samsung and Android stuff I can. I require a phone, texting and photo's. All else can go!

At over $500 CAD my phone is certainly not 'free'. Only reason to have google email is it is required to get the phone working (unless I am a chump), I've dumped Chrome, dumped the Google search page on my home PC and don't use wi-fi on the phone because my data cap is high enough I don't need it. Don't use any Cloud services, have tracking and location turned off...……….and now this, WTF, thanks Google
this makes me so upset it looks like it's time to learn how to root this thing and strip out all the Samsung and Android stuff I can. I require a phone, texting and photo's. All else can go!

Get a Windows phone or Blackberry phone with BB OS on ti. They are not foolproof but lot safer then android phones.....

Get a Windows phone or Blackberry phone with BB OS on ti. They are not foolproof but lot safer then android phones.....

I wouldn't take this advice. Blackberry has been struggling for several years now and everyone knows about this. While they have reasonably secure phones, how long are they going to be around to support their products going into the future and how good is their support even now with next to no users compared to Google or Apple.

Microsoft has killed off their Windows phone, so I'm not really sure why you even suggested this. I could be wrong, but I thought I remember an article a few months back talking about how Microsoft basically through the towel in on their phones and their fitness band that they were coming out with. Realistically, anyone would be hard pressed to find a phone that has good support and frequent security updates when venturing into anything other than Google, Samsung, Apple, or I guess HTC since they are still reasonably popular. Not only that, Google provides the OS to 3 of the companies I mentioned, though Samsung has been toying around with their Tizen OS.

I almost bought a Blackberry, I wish I did now. Perhaps time to sell the Samsung and go back to a 'dumb' phone. thanks for the comments though.

Class action lawsuit? I would really like to root my phone, but I just don't have the time to do it. I guess these companies are hoping I (we) don't.

Right now there's no good way with a cellphone for privacy-minded.
Virtually every corporation follows google's bussiness model because it's succesful (once again: just read the ToSes ;P)

Microsoft came up with windows as a service and does everything like google according to their policies.
Blackberry is no exception and now it uses Android OS.
Apple tries to differentiate itself as a privacy protector but it's really hard for me to trust their pseudonimization babble (just let me decide what parts of the system and apps can connect with the internet if you care about my privacy and security).

Dumbphones are no better - I had some hopes with the new Nokia 8110 4G and its KaiOS but their policy also mentions data gathering and there's even less control in the software.

Once in a while something like the Blackphone comes up but usually is very expensive, hard to get and disappears fast. The market wasn't big enough yet but I hope it will change...

For now the best solution I see is getting an android smartphone with unlockable bootloader, installing an established custom rom without gapps and setting up iptables firewall. Initially in this post I recommended rooting the stock rom but it seems the risk of getting malware with all the needed tools is too high so I take that back (though I've been doing it for years and haven't been hacked).

I just wonder why the GDPR doesn't seem to have a reflection in smartphone OSes yet...

Last edited:
Gee, and everyone thought "free" didn't come with strings attached?
You get Google, Siri, Echo, and the like, together with Boston Dynamics robots and we'll have
Terminator Judgement day before you know it ;)

So Google wants to know when I go to the bathroom, movies or on a walk, so what? Fair "price" to pay for the technology in my hand! Remember when we didn't have cell phones? Cell phones are the 3rd iteration of technology... computers, internet, cell phones. What's next?

What really whizzes me off is it's illegal even for the government to do what googoo does without a warrant, so just how is, what they are doing, actually legal?! I get my minutes by the month, and googoo does not pay for them, but, even with all settings for privacy set right- allegedly, and the store etc deleted, and the only things I allow to turn on are phone, and camera, my minutes evaporate -RAPIDLY- without me ever having made a call. I am pretty sure that's a felony called Theft of Service, as I am paying for their data collection! I suspected that it was more googoo spy crap immediately after I got this dumb (nothing "smart" about them!) phone two months ago, when I couldn't find an ordinary, no internet/ map/ tv/ music player /whatever phone. You just can't buy one anymore. Which does suck. I don't even text, and only make 2-3 calls a month for as short a time as possible (I hate phone calls), but somehow all 350 minutes for August are almost already gone! Time to start billing googoo, or see them in court for stealing from me!

So Google wants to know when I go to the bathroom, movies or on a walk, so what? Fair "price" to pay for the technology in my hand! Remember when we didn't have cell phones? Cell phones are the 3rd iteration of technology... computers, internet, cell phones. What's next?
Watch the 1968 film "The President's Analyst". It was farcical bs back then, but today it's prophetic!

What really whizzes me off is it's illegal even for the government to do what googoo does without a warrant, so just how is, what they are doing, actually legal?!
The government can do anything they want when you consent to the terms. Google makes sure you consent through a EULA every time their service (aka: spyware) is used. No one has to consent, life can be lived without the service. We will have to convince government officials, Google services are a necessity of life for anything to change.

The government can do anything they want when you consent to the terms. Google makes sure you consent through a EULA every time their service (aka: spyware) is used. No one has to consent, life can be lived without the service. We will have to convince government officials, Google services are a necessity of life for anything to change.
BUT! There is zero consent written in the alleged "agreement" that they can use my airtime without compensation! Not anywhere!

What really whizzes me off is it's illegal even for the government to do what googoo does without a warrant, so just how is, what they are doing, actually legal?! I get my minutes by the month, and googoo does not pay for them, but, even with all settings for privacy set right- allegedly, and the store etc deleted, and the only things I allow to turn on are phone, and camera, my minutes evaporate -RAPIDLY- without me ever having made a call. I am pretty sure that's a felony called Theft of Service, as I am paying for their data collection! I suspected that it was more googoo spy crap immediately after I got this dumb (nothing "smart" about them!) phone two months ago, when I couldn't find an ordinary, no internet/ map/ tv/ music player /whatever phone. You just can't buy one anymore. Which does suck. I don't even text, and only make 2-3 calls a month for as short a time as possible (I hate phone calls), but somehow all 350 minutes for August are almost already gone! Time to start billing googoo, or see them in court for stealing from me!
The case is gaining momentum:
https://www.techspot.com/news/74627...n-regulator-over-android-data-harvesting.html

yeah I'm going back to BB once my contract is up. I'm tired of all this garbage from Google. They think they are gods.

Not only is this a violation of privacy, but imagine if someone thinks they turned off their Wi-Fi while in an airplane that’s about to take off only to find out their phone is still sending disruptive signals! There is a reason I avoid Google as much as possible.

It also wants you photos, voice recordings, can hack your wifi and access your computer, any smart devices you have, your banking account, your shopping habits, your medications. Maybe it doesn't sound dangerous to you, but it actually depends to whom they sell this info. Maybe that gang a few blocks away from your home have some geek in Google who can deliver them any info about you. You better have no money or other value.

It also wants you photos, voice recordings, can hack your wifi and access your computer, any smart devices you have, your banking account, your shopping habits, your medications. Maybe it doesn't sound dangerous to you, but it actually depends to whom they sell this info. Maybe that gang a few blocks away from your home have some geek in Google who can deliver them any info about you. You better have no money or other value.

Do you wear a tinfoil hat too?

Back