Suggest a laptop please and thank you :)

I haven't been finding luck in other forums as no one gives me a reply, but I'm a noob when it comes to shopping for laptops.

• Budget is $300
• I'm looking for a laptop that's small, light weight, & long battery life (maybe 8 hrs or more if such a laptop exists)
• Can do basic stuff like browsing, emails, and office. Heavy stuff like editing and gaming will be handled by my desktop.
• The OS I will use is Linux Mint, so I don't think it has to be that powerful.
• I'm open to used or refurbished options as well, so long as they're not TOO old (like from 2005 or something).
• Storage won't matter because I have a spare SSD I can slap in there.

Would love to hear some options from professionals. Thank you so much.

Since I am in Canada I don't think I will be able to link products to you (Google and all websites redirect me to Canadian sites). However I do have a way you can figure out what to buy. Let's start with the CPU ....the brains of the operation. If you can figure out what kind of a CPU is in the laptop you are looking at just Google that CPU. Example>> Ryzen 3500u ...Google will show you cpubenchmark DOT net ..click that...you will see a big number for that CPU like 7127. This is the multi core performance rating based on real world tests that Passmark offers. This will be your best way to figure out what type of CPU you should be looking for. By the way that 3500U or better is where you should be. There is better than that it's just going to be out of your price range. Try to find a model with 8GB of RAM and since you have a SSD and you are using Linux. Used would be great. Check with the local computer shops we usually have things like that laying around that we would part with. Laptops that have been abandoned that need drive replacement and rebuilding. Battery life is going to be rough in your price range. The best battery life is one with lots of cells and low end laptops are generally 3 cell. The runtime they advertise is with the screens set to the most dim they can be and you have to be a teenager to see them. More cells the better but that adds weight and you wanted thin and light. Thin and light is how the get to be pricey.

Back