Superb PC Gaming with Next-Gen 4K QD-OLED Monitors

"One of the main questions we had going in was whether these 32-inch 4K OLEDs would require active cooling like some other QD-OLED monitors"
0_0
Exactly how hot are these. Everything needs to be hot these days, SSDs, now monitors.
Also, the price difference
between 2k and 4k is worth going
with 4k.

Just love QD-OLED... nothing is faster to burnin....

Not quite.

I was an early adopter of a QD-OLED monitor and own the first one on the market- the AW3423DW - since May of 2022. I average 6 hours of use daily with zero burn-in issues. Screen Saver and Taskbar auto-hide are my two weapons. Oh, and a full-screen toggle programmed on a mouse key for quick switching.

A few tweaks like mine and burn-in is not even a blip on my radar.

Perhaps the AW3423DW'S cooling fans are audible for some but I guess I got either a golden sample, or a defective one. Still haven't heard 'em after 21 months of long daily use. Normal, healthy hearing in an average environment.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I want to take the risk with OLED for a desktop monitor with so many static objects and in my case many hours reading and writing papers. I want a mini-led for now. It will take years before we know about burn-in issues definitively.

One question are these true 10 bit panels, because the Dell 40" 5K just announced is 8 bit + FRC. Noway I spending that sort of money for 8 bit panel especially for productivity.

I'm not sure I want to take the risk with OLED for a desktop monitor with so many static objects and in my case many hours reading and writing papers. I want a mini-led for now. It will take years before we know about burn-in issues definitively.

One question are these true 10 bit panels, because the Dell 40" 5K just announced is 8 bit + FRC. Noway I spending that sort of money for 8 bit panel especially for productivity.
I can't speak for them all, but mine is 10 bit up to 144Hz, then 8 bit + FRC at 175Hz (max refresh rate). 12 bit with dithering at 120Hz or less.

sRGB 149%
DCI P3 99.3%

Last edited:
The inevitable burn in is not remotely worth it; better to go with VA or IPS. I will never again waste money on a dying image technology.

VA will progress to new heights. OLED is a money grab and can't compete on cost vs. normal ambient lighting condition performance. VA will approach OLED performance quicker than OLED can rival VA cost.

Gigabyte just announced their 4k 240hz oled display with UHBR 20 (4 x 20 = 80Gbps) dp 2.1 standard.
@ $1199

FYI.

That's accelerated testing. Show me a user who keep their monitor turned on 24/7 displaying the same content for 700+ hours straight (that 29+ days).
Also like Rtings admitted they made a mistake running the first tests at 16:9 on a widescreen monitor.

That means the sides were essentially spared while the center was driven harder. In fullscreen mode no such damage occurred at 700 hours. Also OLED's need some idle/downtime to run their care features.

Running them 24/7 means that those care features meant to mitigate burn-in cant run.
Also this was 1st gen QD-OLED panel. We are now at 3rd gen QD-OLED panel. And WOLED was less susceptible to burn-in from the get-go.

The inevitable burn in is not remotely worth it; better to go with VA or IPS. I will never again waste money on a dying image technology.
News flash - all monitor die eventually. Even LCD's. Either the backlight dies or capacitors start leaking or more likely the PSU gives up.

VA will progress to new heights. OLED is a money grab and can't compete on cost vs. normal ambient lighting condition performance. VA will approach OLED performance quicker than OLED can rival VA cost.
VA has been stagnant for years. Not sure what new heights you are hoping for there.
OLED will compete on cost once the volume goes up. Same happened with smartphones that are now mostly OLED. VA will never approach OLED performance. Not even with Mini-LED dimming zones.

A little bit confused here now... is this the new Samsung gen3 QD-OLED panel that all the other CES2024 QD-OLEDs are or previous gen2 like it does say in this article??

I can't speak for them all, but mine is 10 bit up to 144Hz, then 8 bit + FRC at 175Hz (max refresh rate). 12 bit with dithering at 120Hz or less.

sRGB 149%
DCI P3 99.3%

Do you mean this monitor being reviewed when you say mine. Any way good info. I would never run the monitor past 120Hz so that would be fine.

Do you mean this monitor being reviewed when you say mine. Any way good info. I would never run the monitor past 120Hz so that would be fine.
Sorry - by "mine" I meant my AW3423DW, which is 1st gen. I'd imagine most if not all of the newer OLED offerings have similar specs. However, as it's a curved ultrawide, it's probably not well suited for some types of productivity work. I use mine strictly for gaming, media and surfing. It is a native 10 bit panel if that helps.

Back