System Board not recognizing certain HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a PC for a friend. The HDD has never had any virus protection on it. I removed the HDD from the unit and placed it into another case where I have another HDD connected. I then scanned the problem HDD for viruses and disenfected them. I then proceeded made the problem HDD the only one connected. I changed the jumber settings to be the master. I booted the pc and I made it the start up option screen (XP OS). When I tried to start in safe mode I was rebooted. I tried all options in the start up screen and was rebooted every time. This is not my current problem though. I was trying to start in command prompt from a diskette so I could load some new resources and utilities and ended up with a hardware issue.

I can't even get the system board to recognize this HDD. It will recognize my other HDD when it is the only one connected. I have tried replacing the IDE data cable and reconfiguring the jumbers but I still can't get the HDD to be recognized. I have been in CMOS several times and played with the IDE settings but I can't get anything.

Does anyone have any ideas? I think that I could have messed up the HDD or the system board but I was not even inside the case when this problem occurred. I have not yet actually placed the problem HDD in another case to see what is going on but that is my next step. Just thought someone might save me some time with some good advice.

It is a 1.3 celeron with 160 mbs of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back