System Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cHaotix8

About two weeks ago I started to get random system freezing/crashing. Checked inside the case to find that the fan on the Power Supply wasn't spinning. Even with the fan not spinning I still got some decent on time without crashing (sometimes over 3 hours because of the cool area). Replaced the Power supply and got about 45 minutes of on time before I started rebooting again. Checked all my plugs and the temperature on my BIOs and everything seemed fine. Tryed to get it going again today once I got home from school, (left the computer on this morning, came back and the XP professional screen saver was on, leading me to believe it had rebooted after I left and froze at the login screen). Checked the plugs again and after a few pitiful rebooting attempts, managed to get into my account for a few minutes. System rebooted again... This is when things started getting wierd. I tried searching for a better virus scanning software than one of my old McAfee I am currently using while in Safe Mode with Networking and after trying to install Windows Live One Care, my system rebooted again. Booted up into Safe Mode with Networking again and it rebooted right when I opened Internet Explorer (Can't instal WLOC in FireFox). Went into safe mode and deleted some suspicious files--Rebooted again right after I emptied the recylce bin. Logged back into safe mode and disabled the system failure restart, then started a Virus scan with McAfee. Left the room for abit and came back 5 minutes later with my computer frozen at the loading screen (apaprently it rebooted again while I was away).

From what I can tell, if this is a virus, then it dosn't require internet access, because sometimes I crash at the screen where it loads all my motherboard and hardware stats. And then there's the times where it seems to coincedently crash at times where I'm searching for viruses or removing suspicious files.

Another note: The power supply I replaced with my malfunctioning one was from another computer. When that didn't work I removed the fan from the working PS, and put it in my previously working PS. Same problem.

From what I've been able to find, i've come to the conclusion that this is either a very aggresive virus or a Motherboard/Power supply error. I have already ordered a new tower with a new power supply but some more help would be nice. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Personally, I think your problem is more likely caused by faulty hardware, rather than a virus.

However, it wouldn`t hurt to take a look.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of cHaotix8 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Followed the link and once I was about to start the scan It rebooted again. Funny how I can probably let it sit for a while in safe mode and it wont crash but once I try to scan it goes down on me. Any other ideas?

Like I said, it does sound more like a hardwear problem to me.

See if you can post a HJt log as per these instructions HERE.

Check your system temps for any overheating.

Go HERE and follow the instructions for diagnosing system crashes etc.

In that doesn`t help, I suggest you open a new thread in our Windows OS forum.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of cHaotix8 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Swapped out the hard drive and put it in this computer yesterday. Booted fine, so now I know it IS a hardware problem. My new powersupply/tower should be arriving soon, so if it still isn't maintaining it's status I'll report back.

Edit: Yay. FedEx Apparently lost my shipment.

Bumping this.

Finally got my Tower (Delivered to the wrong address) and got everything set up. Turned on the computer and couldnt get the monitor to load. Checked cables about 4 times, swapped out the video card, and still nothing. Just to make sure, I took the memory and video card and put it into another board and it booted just fine.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the source of all my computer problems thus far have all been motherboard related. I hear the Hardrive and everything else turning on when I power the computer up, but the HD LED light dosn't flash at the startup and I still get no video signal. Any suggestions before I buy a new board?

By the way, it's a ECS Elitegroup 848P-A P4 FSB.

Seeing as we now know you do have a hardware problem, I have moved this thread to our Cpu`s, Chipsets and Mobo`s forum.

I agree with your assessment that it`s probably your mobo.

Regards Howard :)

Gonna go ahead and bump this for an update.

I bought a new motherboard, some DDR2 memory and processor/fans. Had some trouble getting my board to even load my hard drive ending with me taking it back to fry's and swapping it to a new one after having it tested.

So, I got everything up and running and re-installed windows xp on my Hard Drive on Sunday. (My dad suggested not doing a repair; I don't know why not) So by now all my software is gone, well, the location targets are off. I re-installed what I could and went through program files to try and run any software that still worked. That's when I started getting blue error screens and crashing/freezing symptoms. Recently I've been getting these two in a pair from event viewer:

WMPNetworkSvc

A media delivery engine with ID '0' was not initialized due to error '0x80070001' when adding the URL 'http://+:10243/WMPNSSv3/1136358871/'. Restart your computer, and then restart the WMPNetworkSvc service. If the problem persists, reinstall Windows Media Player if possible.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Http
Unable to bind to the underlying transport for 0.0.0.0:10243. The IP Listen-Only list may contain a reference to an interface which may not exist on this machine. The data field contains the error number.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'm not really sure why it keeps crashing. I received an error message earlier that referred to drivers but I have since then, replaced and updated them. Could it be because I haven't turned on automated updates?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

post any minidumps located in the c:\windows\minidumps folder. 5 of the most recent ones if available.

update your network card drivers.

Reinstalled my sound card drivers. I believed that fixed the problem since I haven't had a crash in over 24 hours. Now I have a new problem.

About a month ago, I bought a Geforce 7800 512MB GTX card. Went and got a new motherboard/processor/memory from Fry's and got everything booted up. I then went to PC Pit stop and ran a systems check. Apparently I'm having unusually low performance problems. These are the exact results:

Description Your Results
Brand/Model NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
Resolution 1280x960 pixels
Colors 16 million
DirectX version 5.03.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
OpenGL version 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Acceleration options Enabled
Performance 85.51 MP/s (30% of 34 similar)

PC Pitstop's video performance performs a basic test of your system's graphics capabilities and reports the result in millions of pixels displayed per second (MP/s). The percentage indicates the performance of this system compared to systems in our database with a similar CPU, clock speed, and video board. For example, a score of 50% would indicate this system had half the performance of comparable systems; 200% would indicate twice the performance. Determining "normal" performance can be difficult, there can be wide differences due to video drivers even on the same video board.

So in a nutshell, I'm not getting the performance I should be. I even went and tested my settings in City of Heroes. Lots of lag and a choppy frame rate. I'm beginning to wonder if I was getting a better frame rate on my old 6200 FX 256MB card. Any suggestions?

I've checked it out and it's probably the power supply. I have yet to replace the one that came with the new case I bought so surely that has to be it.

Now onto the new problem. Ever since yesterday evening I've been having low bandwidth problems. First I thought it was my driver, so I went ahead and updated it. I got no change. Did a rollover and went back to me old driver and still got nothing. I called Time Warner and they told me it wasn't on my end. Swapped out the Ethernet cords, switched to wireless, switched PC's and everything. Apparently, the bandwidth problem only occurs on my new computer. I ran a ping test and only 2 out of 4 packets where sent and then returned.

It really seems like luck just isn't with me. There's always some problem I have to face. (my DSL Modem connection went out as I was typing this) :/

Edit: Problem fixed for the most part. It appears to be a network error on their side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back