System wont Turn on at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty

Im attempting to repair 3 gateway computers at a school I work at. 2001 ME
edition, 63mb ram, 9.5gb hd, celleron processer. The computers have been
totally messed up from kids loading crap for years! 3 of the computers wont
turn on, I checked power outlets etc and the monitors turn on. 2 other
computers all the same work fine. Where do I start? Can I open them up and check anything obvious? Its kind of odd that they have the same problem. There is no start up so a bottable disc wont work. I think maybe a power surge, no surge protectors! HELP
Marty

Do any of the fans spin up?

Open the cases, and start by checking the psu`s. Maybe even opening them up to see if anything has been pushed into the fan blades.

Then check all cables and connections, and make sure that everything is seated properly. Remove all dust and debris.

Disconnect anything not required to boot the machines. Just leave the cpu/hdd/ram. If the machines then boot, add one component at a time untill they fail to boot.

Regards Howard :)

no fan

Thanks Howard, no fan, nothing! I was going to open the case up and check for the HD cable and connections then one at a time re connect. Its strange that all 3 have the same problem though, thats why I think its a power supply issue but I'll check it out...

Yes it does sound a little strange that three have got the same problem.

Maybe espionage is at work here lol

That`s why I said to check that nothing has been pushed into the psu fan blades etc.

Regards Howard :)

Sabotage was the first thing that sprung to my mind.
Do they look as though they may have ben opened recently?
Check inside for disconnected cables.

As a legitimate cause check fuses, these could have been blown by a surge.

Im going in now to look. I dont know about sabatage, the kids are all under 12 yrs old and the cases look sealed and the screws are in good shape. Im going in to the case. Fuses? I didn't know there was any inside....I'll check tonight for more advicea I will advise. Thanks a lot
Marty

All looks good

I think it might be a power supply issue. Nothing would power up at all, I unhooked the drives and no sign of any trauma inside. Oh well

After acertaining that there is power at the outlet it would be worth opening the psu (disconnected, of course) and looking for an internal fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back