Tag Heuer announces $2,150 Super Mario-themed Android smartwatch

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Swiss luxury watchmaker Tag Heuer is famous for its expensive timepieces, so you wouldn't expect to see it make a Super Mario-themed smartwatch—yet here we are. The company has announced a partnership with Nintendo to create a version of its Connected wearable featuring the iconic plumber.

Tag Heuer's Connected smartwatch has proved popular since its arrival in 2015; the company reportedly had to increase production of the device to meet demand when it launched. According to a countdown on the firm's website, it will unveil the Mario-themed version on July 15.

Engadget writes that the limited-edition $2,150 wearable will be pretty similar to the standard $1,800 Connected smartwatch, with its 430mAh battery, GPS, water-resistance up to 5ATM, and heart rate monitor.

There are some visual changes to the design and 45mm case: you get an M on the strap buckles and crown, and the push buttons, crown logo, and bezel graduation are Super Mario red. It also comes with a perforated red rubber strap and one with red rubber and black leather.

Tag Heuer is pushing the watch's exercise features, writing that Mario's "upbeat and active personality will encourage wearers of this smartwatch to enjoy moving too," which seems like a slightly tenuous connection. The dial becomes "livelier and more animated the more the wearer is active." There's also a "gamification rewards system" that shows different animations when users reach 25, 50, 75, and 100 percent of their daily step target. Wearers are rewarded for hitting goals with animated items such as the Super Mushroom, Pipe, Super Star, and Goal Pole.

Buyers receive four new watch faces, including a "Timekeeping" one that features "retro elements from the 1985 version of Super Mario Bros. with Mario, all in pixels." There's also a design with Mario's cap and one featuring elements from the game in a rotating animation.

Tag Heuer says it is "considering making [these Mario features] available on other editions of TAG Heuer Connected at a later stage."

Only 2,000 Mario-themed Connected smartwatches, which come with their own carry case, are being made. They go on sale this July 15 in selected boutiques and on its website in some regions.

Permalink to story.

Somehow, this reminds me of the special edition watch from Iron Man 3. It must cost a fortune also.

40d4738dceddf30894f6deb8a1518cb8--limited-edition-watches-dora-the-explorer.jpg

Somehow, this reminds me of the special edition watch from Iron Man 3. It must cost a fortune also.

40d4738dceddf30894f6deb8a1518cb8--limited-edition-watches-dora-the-explorer.jpg

Comments are these just makes me wonder how other people think. There is a story about a Luxury Mario watch and you've posted a picture of a $2 Dora the Explorer watch as if one themed watch is just as good as any other themed watch. No one buys a luxury watch simply to tell the time.

This looks like a new version of everyone's old favourite Seiko:
20191018_163935_121bceeb-1850-429e-a7b7-3cdb2d974724_grande.jpg
For THAT money however, I'd rather get something classy like this gold Movado with a white sapphire crystal (and save $300CAD to boot!):
885997242943_main

When the face is made of white sapphire, good luck scratching it. I personally love freaking people by deliberately TRYING to scratch my Movado SE or (especially) my Rolex Submariner (I almost NEVER wear that one) with the most jagged key that I own. Corundum is the second-hardest substance known to our science after diamond and it's the material from which sapphires, rubies and emery are made. You can only scratch it with another sapphire or a diamond so it basically lasts forever. This watch will hold its value over time.

However, a SmartWatch is like any other computer. Once it's five years old or so, it's considered too slow to be of use. Just look at how often people change their phones (it's insane) and those are bound to be far more powerful than this Mario watch. This is just another way to separate fools from their money.

I can think of 1,001 better ways to spend ~$2,700CAD than to buy something as stupid a TAG-Heuer SmarWatch that I know TAG didn't even make. TAG-Heuer isn't a computer company, they're horologists. This is about as authentic as a Guess or Fossil watch. You're just paying an insane amount of money for the patch that says "TAG-Heuer" and a picture of Mario on the face. I can't think of anything more pathetic and consumerist than this.

Last edited:
Comments are these just makes me wonder how other people think. There is a story about a Luxury Mario watch and you've posted a picture of a $2 Dora the Explorer watch as if one themed watch is just as good as any other themed watch. No one buys a luxury watch simply to tell the time.
Comments like these make me wonder how you think. This isn't a luxury watch, this is a computer on your wrist with the brand name of a luxury-grade horologist on it. Three of the most important aspects of luxury-grade watches are the quality of build materials, the impeccable craftsmanship involved in their manufacture and a service life that can be measured in centuries. They are often considered investments because of this. This piece of consumerist techo-junk is NOT going to have a service life that can be measured in centuries because the tech in it will be obsolete in less than five years.

Just having the brand name of a respected horology company like TAG-Heuer on it does NOT automatically make this a luxury watch. It makes it a cynical cash grab from ignorant fools who have more money than brains. In the world of horology, a stunt like this actually devalues the TAG brand because it's an embarrassment to the name.

You're not going to see other respected horology brands like Breitling, Longines, Movado, Omega, Rolex, Cartier, Tissot, Mont Blanc, A. Lange & Sohne or Patek Phillipe pulling crap like this. They would consider it below them. As far as they're concerned, the whole point of their business model is that you pay a crap-tonne of money for one of their watches because it will be the last watch that you'll ever need to buy.

Real luxury watches are expected to be heirlooms in the long-term, not another piece of worthless e-waste like these will be. This is not a luxury watch and never will be. This is just the cynical concept of the Alienware brand turned up to eleven. I wonder how happy people will be when their expensive "luxury" SmartWatch is obsolete in five years like everything else in tech.

I'm sure there is somebody out there stupid enough to pay this for a watch but until Timex makes one for $29.95 I won't be wearing one ...... LOL
It's a luxury watch, it is a piece of jewelry, it is not just a device to tell the time. Who are you to judge how people spend their money?

Comments like these make me wonder how you think. This isn't a luxury watch, this is a computer on your wrist with the brand name of a luxury-grade horologist on it. Three of the most important aspects of luxury-grade watches are the quality of build materials, the impeccable craftsmanship involved in their manufacture and a service life that can be measured in centuries. They are often considered investments because of this. This piece of consumerist techo-junk is NOT going to have a service life that can be measured in centuries because the tech in it will be obsolete in less than five years.

Just having the brand name of a respected horology company like TAG-Heuer on it does NOT automatically make this a luxury watch. It makes it a cynical cash grab from ignorant fools who have more money than brains. In the world of horology, a stunt like this actually devalues the TAG brand because it's an embarrassment to the name.

You're not going to see other respected horology brands like Breitling, Longines, Movado, Omega, Rolex, Cartier, Tissot, Mont Blanc, A. Lange & Sohne or Patek Phillipe pulling crap like this. They would consider it below them. As far as they're concerned, the whole point of their business model is that you pay a crap-tonne of money for one of their watches because it will be the last watch that you'll ever need to buy.

Real luxury watches are expected to be heirlooms in the long-term, not another piece of worthless e-waste like these will be. This is not a luxury watch and never will be. This is just the cynical concept of the Alienware brand turned up to eleven. I wonder how happy people will be when their expensive "luxury" SmartWatch is obsolete in five years like everything else in tech.
Clearly you didn't look at the post I was commenting on, but I'll restate what I had said in a different way. There is little similar between a <$10 Cartoon Themed watch and the Tag. If Tag offers replacement batteries forever it will still function just as it does today in 100 years. How will the functions of the watch be obsolete in 5 years?

Also " ignorant fools who have more money than brains. " Should I be running all my purchases through someone else to make sure I have their approval? I'm a single professional with no debt I make around $4k more a month than I need. If I want to buy a Calibre 5 for $2k or a smartwatch with a titanium case and Sapphire crystal for the same price, how does it affect you and why would you care?

This looks like a new version of everyone's old favourite Seiko:
20191018_163935_121bceeb-1850-429e-a7b7-3cdb2d974724_grande.jpg
For THAT money however, I'd rather get something classy like this gold Movado with a white sapphire crystal (and save $300CAD to boot!):
885997242943_main

When the face is made of white sapphire, good luck scratching it. I personally love freaking people by deliberately TRYING to scratch my Movado SE or (especially) my Rolex Submariner (I almost NEVER wear that one) with the most jagged key that I own. Corundum is the second-hardest substance known to our science after diamond and it's the material from which sapphires, rubies and emery are made. You can only scratch it with another sapphire or a diamond so it basically lasts forever. This watch will hold its value over time.

However, a SmartWatch is like any other computer. Once it's five years old or so, it's considered too slow to be of use. Just look at how often people change their phones (it's insane) and those are bound to be far more powerful than this Mario watch. This is just another way to separate fools from their money.

I can think of 1,001 better ways to spend ~$2,700CAD than to buy something as stupid a TAG-Heuer SmarWatch that I know TAG didn't even make. TAG-Heuer isn't a computer company, they're horologists. This is about as authentic as a Guess or Fossil watch. You're just paying an insane amount of money for the patch that says "TAG-Heuer" and a picture of Mario on the face. I can't think of anything more pathetic and consumerist than this.
People change their phones all the time, because they want to buy the newest phone not because they need to. A smart watch doesn't need to be powerful. No the price isn't for the name it's for the materials they used and the name.

It's a luxury watch, it is a piece of jewelry, it is not just a device to tell the time. Who are you to judge how people spend their money?

I'm a buyer so my opinion is good as gold to the seller .... maybe you should shell out the money then tell me how "smart" you arn't. Jewelry? It's no more jewelry than a lawn mower engine and let's face it YOU are not going to buy one so why attack me for my opinion?

Clearly you didn't look at the post I was commenting on, but I'll restate what I had said in a different way. There is little similar between a <$10 Cartoon Themed watch and the Tag. If Tag offers replacement batteries forever it will still function just as it does today in 100 years. How will the functions of the watch be obsolete in 5 years?
Well for one thing, the batteries of mobile devices tend to be what kills them. This isn't some little quartz job that can run on an LR44 button cell, it's going to have some outrageously-priced proprietary-design lithium-ion battery that will eventually be unavailable because it won't be profitable for anyone to keep making it.
Also " ignorant fools who have more money than brains. " Should I be running all my purchases through someone else to make sure I have their approval?
You're the one who said "I don't understand how people think" and defended this piece of garbage.
I'm a single professional with no debt I make around $4k more a month than I need. If I want to buy a Calibre 5 for $2k or a smartwatch with a titanium case and Sapphire crystal for the same price, how does it affect you and why would you care?
I don't care it you do that on a personal level and it doesn't affect me but that doesn't change the fact that I think it's a cynical cash grab and buying it is a bad idea. You're not the only single professional here who isn't in debt but that doesn't mean that I'd want to waste my money like this. A professional is supposed to be smarter than that.

Years ago, I did something remarkably stupid and bought a BMW, expecting that it would be something special. It wasn't special and but it was great at draining my wallet every time something went wrong. It made me create my own meaning for BMW which is "Bankrupt Myself Willingly". That experience taught me not to just throw money at shiny things because a lot of the time, they're just not worth it. Not only did I feel regret, I felt embarrassed at how easily I was drawn in by something that was supposed to be "cool" when all it turned out to be was a way for BMW to milk me like a cow. I'm not the kind of man who enjoys being milked.

So sure, you have the right to buy it, nobody says otherwise but I also have the right to say that it's a galactically stupid thing to do. Welcome to the free world. Remember, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you MUST do something. Wasting money just because you can is a hallmark of consumerism and, while perfectly legal to do, is remarkably ignorant, selfish and short-sighted.

That's exactly how I felt after I got rid of that piece of...German engineering. I realised that I'd wasted a huge amount of money just because I liked how it looked and I liked the idea of driving a Bimmer. It had that "cool" factor which, as we know, lasts all of about two months. After I got rid of it, I realised that I would have been better off getting something far less expensive and making a large donation to charity.

So, I bought a Veloster, something far less expensive (still not incredibly practical because I like sporty cars) and I made a large donation to the Canadian Cancer Society. I love that car even more than the BMW because it's fun as hell to drive, it's not a constant headache and most importantly, the amazing feeling I got from donating thousands of dollars to cancer research is still with me to this day.

I'm a buyer so my opinion is good as gold to the seller .... maybe you should shell out the money then tell me how "smart" you arn't. Jewelry? It's no more jewelry than a lawn mower engine and let's face it YOU are not going to buy one so why attack me for my opinion?
I know, eh? You'd think that a "single professional" would have more smarts than that.

People change their phones all the time, because they want to buy the newest phone not because they need to. A smart watch doesn't need to be powerful. No the price isn't for the name it's for the materials they used and the name.
When the main purpose of a SmartWatch (which is the "Smart" part) is no longer fulfilled, it will get replaced. No computer is "futureproof", especially not one that is small enough to fit on someone's wrist. In five years, the capabilities of the cheapest Smart Watches will make this thing look like a dinosaur. It's like expecting an FX-series CPU to be worth something one day because it was the first consumer-grade octocore CPU. It won't.

Back