1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Take a trip down memory lane with the Windows 95 desktop app

By Polycount ยท 16 replies
Aug 23, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. If you aren't happy with the way Microsoft's Windows operating systems have progressed in recent years, you probably wish you could go back to the good old days.

Perhaps you want to return to the polished experience Windows 7 offered - or maybe you're feeling particularly nostalgic and would prefer Windows XP.

If you want to experience a true blast to the past, you might even have Windows 95 on the brain. Though the OS is a bit clunky by today's standards, it had a few features that were certainly ahead of its time, such as the "Start" button we've all come to love (or hate, if you have Cortana enabled).

Should you find yourself missing the classic OS, there's some good news for you now. An electron version of Windows 95 has hit the web today, allowing the aging operating system to run on modern machines - sort of.

Courtesy of software developer Felix Rieseberg (best known for his work on Slack), you can download an app version of Windows 95 on macOS, Windows, and even Linux machines through Github.

The process of getting the app up and running will be different depending on which OS you're using, but for Windows 10 users, it's as easy as running the provided setup file.

Once you've installed the app, the Windows 95 software will boot up in a window - it doesn't seem to be able to access any of the files on your actual machine (as you'd expect), nor can you use Internet Explorer, but you can toy around with Paint, Minesweeper, and Notepad as much as you'd like.

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2018
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 3,129   +1,635

Goofy. Now I know we're going too far with the technology nostalgia craze. ;)

3. orondf

orondf TS Booster Posts: 101

Just a heads up, this thing runs in Electron

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,525   +3,905

Actually there were a lot of issues with win95. Win98 was a lot more stable and put the fun back into the PC ...

Theinsanegamer, p51d007 and JamesSWD like this.
  5. lazer

lazer TS Addict Posts: 252   +59

I really miss my computer crashing and losing my work with Win95.

BTW, I think win7 was the best, win8 was so bad even M$ recognized that, and win10 is just horrible for those who purchased small programs.

But on the bright side, Linux is coming up in popularity and is free as in air we breath....

Reehahs and p51d007 like this.
  6. I actually still have a Win95 install disc with code. I wonder if it could be loaded onto a VM?

7. regiq

regiq TS Addict Posts: 237   +113

Of course it could. Get virtualbox and have some fun installing Win95 :)

8. regiq

regiq TS Addict Posts: 237   +113

Even better: it's free as in freedom!

9. Polycount

Polycount TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,835   +403

No, I loved it so it was objectively good and you are wrong. :mad:

Reehahs likes this.
  10. pencea

pencea TS Maniac Posts: 172   +127

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Ring any bells anyone? :)

Julio Franco likes this.
  11. Danny101

Danny101 TS Guru Posts: 820   +324

OSR 2.1

12. Jeff Schmidt

Jeff Schmidt TS Addict Posts: 101   +87

Sweet. Time to dust off my old Commander Keen floppy disks. Oh wait, never mind.

13. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,842   +193

Windows 95 was a huge upgrade from Windows 3.11.. Until Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000 soon after Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7. Windows 8.1, drum role Windows 10....

I kinda skip over Vista from XP to Windows 7 for me. .. LOL

14. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Evangelist Posts: 1,580   +1,790

98SE. Gotta get that native USB support.

Also the last OS that worked with GLIDE dual GPUs properly, and older dual ATI cards from the 90s. The NT kernel didnt work quite right with them...ever.

(and yes I know ME was 9x based, but I said the last OS that worked. To insinuate that ME ever worked would be a blatant lie).

15. kissx

kissx TS Enthusiast Posts: 87   +7

On my pc in 1997.

16. TechLove

TechLove TS Rookie

Do people really still use Windows?

17. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,510   +5,075

Unfortunately yes, I am still locked in Window's ecosystem. I can't speak for everyone though.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...