Task manager & Active X disbled by virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have XP home edition and task manager and active x have been disabled. I can re-enable both in safe mode but when re-enabled in full mode they are instantly disabled again.

I have run scans with AVG, Stinger and Spybot (all with system restore disabled) both in full windows mode and safe mode. All did find various problems and cleared them but problem persists. (I think one of the other users got a bit frustrated with zonealarm asking them to allow what they wanted to do and started just saying yes to everything!)

I have also used doxdesk.com to look for parasites, witch I had to do in safe mode with networking as it wouldn't check without active x, but this found nothing.

I've checked Task manager in safe mode and there are not any processes running that look suspect but I'm guessing this is because whatever is causing the problem is not able to run in safe mode hence me being able to look at task manager.

Also In full mode if you log in and then go to switch user without opening any programs you are shown as 5 programmes running on screen listing users.

Other than sticking the recovery disk in and starting over I'm out of ideas.

Anyone got any other ideas? Help would me much appreciated.

Hello and welcome to TechSpot.

Your system is infected with malware.

Very Important: Malware infections can lead to identity theft, loss of funds from bank accounts, misuse of credit card information, etc since they can send sensitive information from your computer to their creators. Please read this thread before deciding what course of action to take regarding your infection.

If, after reading the above thread, you decide to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/spyware/malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, ComboFix, and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above. Also post here the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards :)

This thread is for the use of DCW only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our Security and the Web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back