Taskbar won't return to normal size

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippo430

On Windows XP always keep taskbar on bottom of screen. Somehow it doubled in width (about 1 inch). I cannot get it back to its normal width. Any ideas?
Thanks,

Right-click an empty area on the taskbar. If Lock the Taskbar has a check mark next to it, the taskbar is locked. Unlock it by clicking Lock the Taskbar, which removes the check mark.

Point to the edge of the taskbar until the pointer changes into a double-headed arrow** , and then drag the border to make the taskbar the size you want.

Having been a MS user for years I was aware of that. The taskbar remains at the doubl width size. The "double bar" mode either drags it below the desktop out of sight, or brings it back to the double width size (new in the last few weeks). It's not a big problem, but an annoyance and curiosity. Nothing in the "Taskbar and Start Menu" selection in the Control Panel addresses it. Any more ideas.
Thanks

Bobbye,
Thanks for the help, however...... Another, more inconvenient problem has arisen. I am not able to log on to my computer and have my profile loaded (msg says either profile was corrupted or security level is not high enough). I am the adminisrator on my pc so security isn't an issue. Just the day before this happened I downloaded and installed Explorer 11. Don't know if this caused the problem. The taskbar is normal in the temporary profile I have, but cannot access any of my documents, Outlook, etc. Any ideas? Thanks,

Process Explorer v11
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
:confused:

Please start you computer in Safe Mode, by pressing F8 key before Windows begins to load, whilst starting your computer up.

Log on to the Administrator account. You may need to log off and then back on to the Administrator account, to do this.

Once in the Administrator account.
Click on Start->Run-> Control UserPasswords2
Place a tick in: "Users must enter a Username and Password..."
Select your Username (single click)
Select Apply
Untick: "Users must enter a Username and Password..."
Select Apply
Either enter your password, or if you have none, just press OK
Select OK again
Restart

Are you now able to logon to your normal account?

Not able to log on with user profile

I tried your suggestion but it did not work. What did work, however, was going to system restore and selecting a restore point prior to the time the trouble began. To my amazement, it worked! However. . . . now, for some reason, internet explorer does not work. It acts like it is coming up and even tries to load the home page but then closes down. Fortunately, I had Mozilla Firefox to use. Any ideas on how to get IE to work?
Thanks,

Since I had not heard of "Explorer 11", I had to go looking. It is very important when using the word "Explorer" that it be used correctly and completely:

These are the computer related "Explorers" I found:
There is a
Windows Explorer
Internet Explorer (currently v6,7,8)
These are part of the OS.

Downloadable "Explorer" programs are
Process Explorer
MSN Explorer

Under "Explorer 11", I found these:
Internet Explorer 11 with several versions of EaseSoft Barcode ActiveX Control
http://www.topshareware.com/internet-explorer-11/downloads/1.htm

Process Explorer 11:04
Intentia Movex Explorer 11.x

Since the Taskbar is a part of the OS and not IE-as far as I know- reinstalling IE won't help.
My best guess is that the problem has something to do with either the download or configuration of whatever "Explorer" you downloaded and I would suggest you uninstall it and assess the Taskbar after.

I want to make sure that you realize you can not only move the Taskbar around but also reduce the height of it by placing the cursor on the top line of the Taskbar and while holding the left mouse button down, 'pull' the Taskbar downward so as to make it the height you want. (no offense intended here, but some people actually don't realize this can be done!)

One other thought. I have seen some systems with so many added Toolbars on the Taskbar, that the Taskbar HAS to re-size itself in order to accomadate them.

IE problems

Reinstall IE

Thanks,
A few questions. I am assuming I can download the latest IE from Microsoft's website. Also, should IE appear in the Programs (Start, select Programs)? It is not there. If it does show up, would you recommend de-installing it first?
Thanks

IE version

Since I had not heard of "Explorer 11", I had to go looking. It is very important when using the word "Explorer" that it be used correctly and completely:

These are the computer related "Explorers" I found:
There is a
Windows Explorer
Internet Explorer (currently v6,7,8)
These are part of the OS.

Downloadable "Explorer" programs are
Process Explorer
MSN Explorer

Under "Explorer 11", I found these:
Internet Explorer 11 with several versions of EaseSoft Barcode ActiveX Control
http://www.topshareware.com/internet-explorer-11/downloads/1.htm

Process Explorer 11:04
Intentia Movex Explorer 11.x

Since the Taskbar is a part of the OS and not IE-as far as I know- reinstalling IE won't help.
My best guess is that the problem has something to do with either the download or configuration of whatever "Explorer" you downloaded and I would suggest you uninstall it and assess the Taskbar after.

I want to make sure that you realize you can not only move the Taskbar around but also reduce the height of it by placing the cursor on the top line of the Taskbar and while holding the left mouse button down, 'pull' the Taskbar downward so as to make it the height you want. (no offense intended here, but some people actually don't realize this can be done!)

One other thought. I have seen some systems with so many added Toolbars on the Taskbar, that the Taskbar HAS to re-size itself in order to accomadate them.

Bobbye
I think it was IE vs. 8 (don't know where I came up with vs. 11). I will try re-installing vs. 8..
Also, I will check the Toolbar issue.
thanks,

Let us know if that solves the problem. By the way, Internet Explorer is a Windows Component. IE 6 can be found there> to the left of the Add/Remove Programs screen. I think IE7 was sent as a Windows Update so it should be on the main screen-same for IE8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back