TechSpot Gallery coming soon

Julio Franco

Staff member
Inspired in many of your posts and the popularity these have had, I wanted to announce in advance that soon I will be implementing a Photo Gallery to TechSpot..... ok, so I have to admit that the idea of a "pic gallery" does sound kind of gay :eek: but in the actual implemention and how I have thought we can put it to use should make a lot of sense to further expand the community.

I will start off by saying it won't be a "post anything" gallery but a tech-dedicated one where you could post your wallpapers/desktop screenshots, workstation pics, cooling stuff, case mods, game shots, and even expo pics if any of you happen to be attending such events, etc.

Similar to certain threads we have participated at The Meeting Spot but using specialized software that will integrate from scratch with your vB user information plus it will let us organize information better, it will feature such things as auto-thumbnailing, comments for each pic, sort pics by popularity, pic ratings, vB-like moderation and more. If you are left wondering what other things we could do, here's where the software comes from:
http://www.photopost.com/featuresphp.html

I still have to receive the software to install on the server but wanted to hear you opinions & to prepare any content you plan to upload.

Oh, and before someone suggests this, I was already planning to limit image uploading to registered users with at least a few posts in the boards so we can end up with quality photo content in the gallery. It should function as an extension to the actual forums & a way to attract more people here.

At last users can post screen captures to help diagnose problems, and they don't need their own server to host their pics. Sounds like a good idea.

Sounds like a good idea. Something like that would require fairly active moderation as well. Even though most of the members would not abuse such a feature, there are bound to be frequent instances of inappropriate material posted. That said, this should still be a very usefull addition to the furums.

I wonder what The Planet will say about the extra bandwidth.... maybe they'll ask you guys to put their logo a bit bigger hehehe.

Sounds interesting...

Could be a great addition, or an ok one (imo), but I'm sure it'll be appreciated by everyone attending the "What does your desktop look like" and similar threads....

Originally posted by StormBringer
Sounds like a good idea. Something like that would require fairly active moderation as well. Even though most of the members would not abuse such a feature, there are bound to be frequent instances of inappropriate material posted. That said, this should still be a very usefull addition to the furums.

Well I can say that lately things have been going quite well as far as text moderation goes, but this does not mean it needs to be picking up. So I guess looking at some pictures daily wouldn't bother me.
I think this will be a neat feature to help get people involved, being able to see something makes it a lot easier. :)

I'm glad to hear most of you are attracted by the idea of the gallery... I'm hoping both bandwidth and moderation won't become much of an issue and I will try to have posting guidelines ready before the gallery launches.

Also thanks for the suggestion chocobogo, I have also heard good comments about Gallery (from SourceForge) however I believe it doesn't integrate with vBulletin like Photopost does.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
my 1337 40++n355 posts will be the most popular :)

LOL

But you have my vote as well - it sounds like something cool and different, and may attract more people for a case mod gallery.

Back