Teenager dies 48 hours after arriving at one of China's internet addiction bootcamps

midian182

Staff member

Another teenager has died in one of China’s military-style internet addiction treatment centers. The 18-year-old boy allegedly suffered multiple injuries and died just days after he arrived at one of the controversial “bootcamps.”

The latest incident took place in the eastern Anhui province. The teenager’s parents said they were unable to help their son’s serious internet addiction and decided to send him to one of the increasingly popular centers in Fuyang city. The Anhui Shangbao newspaper reported that the facility used "psychological counseling and physical training” to treat those staying there.

Two days after dropping him off on August 3, the parents received a phone call informing them that their son had been taken to hospital, where he later died. Doctors told them he had sustained more than 20 external injuries and several internal injuries.

"My son's body was completely covered with scars, from top to toe [...] When I sent my son to the center he was still fine, how could he have died within 48 hours?" said Ms Liu, the victim’s mother.

The center has been closed down while investigations continue. Its director and four teaching staff are now in custody.

Back in 2014, a 19-year-old girl died at one of the boot camps in Henan province. She was forced to undergo “training” that involved instructors lifting her a short distance above the ground before dropped her on her head. Another 14-year-old girl, who suffered neck and head injuries after undergoing the same training, said the victim endured the practice for two hours, at which point she started vomiting blood and fell unconscious.

In 2009, a 15-year-old boy died two days after his arrival at one of the centers after trainers severely beat him. The incident came shortly after the country’s health ministry banned the use of electro-shock therapy as a means of treating internet addiction.

Permalink to story.

No doubt there are those that need intervention BUT such intervention should never consist of physical or physiological violence of any kind. It's good that the center is closed pending investigation, but it sounds like they need a new staff, a new treatment philosophy, and a much more gentle approach to helping these kids.

And most of us are told from the time we're able to understand that we live in a civilised society. I guess we do if you can consider barbarism civilised. I'm surprised they just don't put those poor kids up against the wall and shoot them out of hand, it would be more humane than torturing them to death the way they do. Those SS type camp guards are no better than rabid animals and their rehabilitation methods would make acknowledged forced labour camps look like a story from Alice in Wonderland.

....[ ]....Those SS type camp guards are no better than rabid animals and their rehabilitation methods would make acknowledged forced labour camps look like a story from Alice in Wonderland.
You do realize the Red Queen wanted to lop off Alice's head, don't you?

Here's live footage from a Chinese internet rehabilitation camp to prove it!

Oh sure, it say's the scene is from "Sucker Punch", but that's just because the footage had to be smuggled out of China, halfway across the galaxy to Princess Leia....;)

Last edited:
"Doctors told them he had sustained more than 20 external injuries and several internal injuries."

Should this read: "Chinese Teen beaten to death in Chinese Prison Camp"?
That sounds about right. I also have to wonder just what his parents were thinking when they sent him there. If teens had already died in these places, there's no way in hell my child would go there. I'd sooner imprison them at home if I had to. At least I would know that their needs were being properly addressed.

"Doctors told them he had sustained more than 20 external injuries and several internal injuries."

Should this read: "Chinese Teen beaten to death in Chinese Prison Camp"?

Yes lol. It seems like there is a problem, and it also seems like this isn't a typical treatment. The guards got bored beat someone's head to death. It happens all the time in other situations.

It's not that hard to get your kid un-addicted to the internet, most parents won't even try since it requires them to give up the internet too.

You would think one death like this would be enough to shut down all these torture camps. Maybe their government controlled media is keeping silent on what is happening at these camps.

I'm also thinking there is a media blackout, unless some are insane to bring there kids there. Probably they are praised in the media.

Back