Temperature Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neji49

I'm new to computer gaming and I have some questions. I'm getting an 8800 GTS(340mb). My question is a three fan air circulation system suitable for keepign my computer cool enough? I read the thread at the top and it said my computer should be aroudn 60 degrees celsius. I'm not exactly sure how hot the 8800 GTs gets nor am I sure how hot my processor gets. Is there a way I could figure out? Or could somebody tell me how hot the 8800 GTS gets? Or if a three fan circulation is enough?(I'm not sure if it involves any special fans or anything.

EDIT: It lists in techspots reviews that a 640 version of the card I'm getting hits about 73 under stress, but it doesn't mention if that's celsius or farenheit. Can somebody clarify?Also I'm using the fan that came with the card.

"a 640 version of the card I'm getting hits about 73 under stress, but it doesn't mention if that's celsius or farenheit"...

It's Celsius for sure. It depends where your 3 fans are located inside the case. The 8800GTS shoud have its own cooler too

73F under load? That seems very remarkable, especially if its on a stock cooler.

I think C is more likely.

Those kinds of load temps I believe is normal for the 8800GT. Some people claim that the stock fan speeds up only after hitting temps over 70C, so this card should run fine at 73C load temps.

Neji49 said:
I read the thread at the top and it said my computer should be aroudn 60 degrees celsius. I'm not exactly sure how hot the 8800 GTs gets nor am I sure how hot my processor gets. Is there a way I could figure out? Or could somebody tell me how hot the 8800 GTS gets?
The sticky thread is about processor temperatures, not graphics card temperatures. GPUs can handle higher temperatures just fine. My 8800 GTS 640M is passively cooled, it goes to around 90C when playing games.

You can see the GPU temperature with utilities like RivaTuner, nTune and HWMonitor (which can also display CPU temperatures).

Well I've got the card and it idles at about 60 degrees celsius. I've increased the fan speed to 100% and it's loud now. Unfortuantely, the temperature has only dropped to 55 degrees at idle. Is there any cooler I can buy for my card?

EDIT: One more thing I' mtrying is adjusting fan speed based on GPU temps. I'm using Rivatuner and I even found and FAQ on how do just that. The problem is I'm looking for a threshold setting under GPU temp settings. I can't find it? Do I have to enable it somewhere?

Here's the FAQ:http://www.vaguesoft.com/users/dwood/blog/tutorials/rivatuner/
Another problem is when I Try to activate these setting it says the fan profile is corrupt. What does that mean?

"Another problem is when I Try to activate these settings, it says the fan profile is corrupt. What does that mean?"...

This means that the fan profile that exists or the one you created is not useable or it is not correct for the fan controller you have. Try reinstalling the fan controller software

Okay I have some final questions. I'm gettign different reports for how hot should a GPU be. Somebody said it was 90 but others say it should be around 45-50 or 60. Which is right? Oh yeah and how hot shoudl a motherboard get? Same as the processor?

90C would be about the max a video card should run... The motherboard should be much less, like less than 30C. The CPU should run 40 to 60C

The motherboard shoudl be less than 30 C? Mine has two temps each running at 34C and 42C, though I don't knwo what they mean.My otherboard gets to even higher temps when playing games. Could that cause problems? How could I cool it down? Also, one time I was on my computer, the display stopped coming while I was on the internet, is this because the GPU overheated? Or would that have shut down the entire computer?

This depends on what size and type of case you have... The size, location and number of case fans make a difference in temps too. I like quiet, so I use 2 120mm fans. One in front and one in the back of the case. My GPU fan is quiet. I have a full server tower case, soon to be downsized to a much lighter mid-tower

I'm more concerned about temps than sound. Just out of curiosity, I know yo ucan change GPU fan speed with Rivatuner,but how do you change case fan speed and processor fan speed? I have DG965WH, if that matters.

So you are one of those that likes the sound of jet engines in your bedroom or office? The case fans have to be of the 3-wire type and the motherboards bios have to be able to control the speeds, unless you purchase a separate fan controller for this purpose

or you could try speedfan to control case fans. check for compatibility. i use it all the time for case and cpu fans

30C is very low of a NB as well I'd say.

If it isn't giving you any trouble, leave it alone. It should be fine at 42C.

Okay I'm using Intel Desktop Utilities and all of my temps are green,except for my GPU which it wont read. I believe my fan connectors are 3-pin so I'll see i I can do something in the BIOS. Thanks!

If you can't seem to be able to change the fan speeds in BIOS, you can always buy a power converter to change it from 3-pin to molex.

That way, you can run your fans at 100% speed all the time. Be sure to get the correct voltage (12V is fine, but there are converters which convert to 7V to reduce noise).

You need molex connectors to change fan speed? It seems I can change my processor fan speed in the BIOS,but it doesn't even pick up my case fan speed. I heard about a program called speedfan. Will that help?

Edit: In the BIOS it says two types of fan speed. One is damping? What do they mean?

If BIOS doesn't pick it up, Speedfan would have a problem as well.

Molex connectors CAN be used to change fan speeds, but you don't need them, if they plug into the motherboard. I'm just mentioning it because you can just bypass the motherboard and just use a molex instead, and get the full speed all the time, since it wouldn't be reduced/controlled by anything else.

As far as 2 types of fan speeds are concerned, I've got no idea.

Okay I checked the BIOS and for fan settings it gave me the options of fan zone damping, and automatic fan detection. What do they mean? I enabeld automatic fan detectio nand my computer's fan soudns different, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on. Also if my BIOS wont detect it how can I change the settings?

I imagine "fan zone damping" means to vary the speed of fans in different areas of the case, and "automatic detection" means that any 3-wire fan connected to the motherboard fan headers will be detected by speed and if they are turning at all...

Please remember that for the motherboards bios to control and detect or vary fan speed, the fans must have 3 or 4 wires and they must be connected to the fan headers on the motherboard

I watched my dad build my comptuer. He connected all of the fans with three pin connectors, directly to the motherboard. I'm assuming I need to enable the automatic fan detection in order to let my computer detect the other fans though? then adjust the settings?

If the fans are connected to the motherboard headers, they should be automatically sensed by the bios

Well I'm not sure what I did but now Intel Desktop Utilities are detecting the fans(they're called inlet and outlet fans,right?) I'm assuming the BIOS will detect them and I should be able to adjust them. Thanks everybody!

EDIT: My processor fan is running at 877 rpm, my inlet fan is 1652, and my outlet is 1532. Are these speeds alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back