Tesla Cybertruck arrives with $60,990 starting price and 250-mile range

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Four years after it was first revealed and several delays and controversies later, Tesla's Cybertruck has finally made it into the hands of around a dozen customers. Its original base-model price of $39,900 announced four years ago has increased more than 50% to $60,990. Elon Musk also said in 2019 that the truck would have a 500-mile range. The base variant manages 250 miles, while the AWD Cybertruck manages 340 miles without the extra battery pack option that can push it to 470 miles.

There will be three versions of the Cybertruck, including the rear-wheel drive base model mentioned above that won't arrive until 2025.

Assuming there are no more delays, which is always a possibility, next year will see the launch of the dual-motor version. Priced at $79,990, it can hit 112 miles per hour, do 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, and travel 340 miles on a single charge.

Also set to arrive in 2024 is the "Cyberbeast" tri-motor trim that packs 845 horsepower with 10,296 lb-ft of torque. It costs $99,990, has a top speed of 130 mph, can do 320 miles, and has a claimed 0-60 time of 2.6 seconds. Note that the prices are before federal tax credits are applied, and companies often exaggerate their EVs' ranges.

While the prices and range might have disappointed some, the Cybertruck's towing capacity of 11,000 pounds for the two more expensive trims (7,500 pounds for the base model) has been welcomed.

Part of the unveiling event for the bulletproof Cybertruck saw Tesla chief designer Franz Von Holzhausen try to redeem himself for the infamous windows strength test of 2019, in which he threw a metal ball bearing at what is supposed to be armor plated glass only for him to break both the front and rear windows. This time he used a baseball and threw it pretty weakly.

The Cybertruck is also Tesla's first vehicle to offer bi-directional charging, or vehicle-to-load capabilities. It means the battery can be used to charge or power an electrical appliance, including another Cybertruck, via the 240-volt outlet in the rear bed, outputting as much as 11.5kW.

The pandemic caused Tesla a slew of problems – as it did for all automakers. It led to the company missing the Cybertruck's initial preproduction target in 2021. Tesla had said it would deliver the first Cybertrucks to customers in the summer of 2023. That was later changed to the third quarter, but both those deadlines passed.

Tesla is targeting production numbers of 250,000 Cybertrucks per year, though that won't become a reality until after 2024.

Permalink to story.

The fact that Musk thinks that permanently filling your bed with a battery if viable is....ridiculous. That thing wont be hot swappable, its gonna weigh a ton. Literally.

$100k for a truck that can barely leave your state, assuming you are going 55 MPH with a tailwind, is ridiculous. I cant wait for the ram REV to obliterate this thing.
Ok, muricans, tell me when it became the norm to casualy pay 100K$ for a mediocre car?
BeCaUsE gLoBaL cLiMaTe BoIlInG.

The fact that Musk thinks that permanently filling your bed with a battery if viable is....ridiculous. That thing wont be hot swappable, its gonna weigh a ton. Literally.

$100k for a truck that can barely leave your state, assuming you are going 55 MPH with a tailwind, is ridiculous. I cant wait for the ram REV to obliterate this thing.

BeCaUsE gLoBaL cLiMaTe BoIlInG.

Yes my glaciers are melting at an unprecedented pace, cheers from Greenland 🫣

And EVs will help jack **** with GHG emissions, try taking the train or biking… oh I forgot, Muricans decided that the most efficient transport mechanism in the planet was for suckers, and that the second most efficient (yes, bikes are the second most efficient form of mass transit in urban areas) should be something only enjoyed by people whose second hobby is sky diving without a parachute.

Yes my glaciers are melting at an unprecedented pace, cheers from Greenland 🫣

And EVs will help jack **** with GHG emissions, try taking the train or biking… oh I forgot, Muricans decided that the most efficient transport mechanism in the planet was for suckers, and that the second most efficient (yes, bikes are the second most efficient form of mass transit in urban areas) should be something only enjoyed by people whose second hobby is sky diving without a parachute.
>Country of 55000 people
>MUH TRAINS, MUH BIKES

It's always hilarious watching non Americans struggle with the idea that America is larger then a patch of grass, and thus we dont live packed into dense urban dystopias like sardines. The concept that bikes are pretty useless for 25 mile commutes and that passenger rail is both unprofitable and unsustainable at such a scale totally fly over your heads. Just a thought, but the transportation that works in your country, which has more boats then cars and a capital city smaller then an american suburb, MIGHT not work in the 3rd largest country on earth.

Also, EVs still use less energy on the whole then ICE vehicles. In the case of your greenland, they would all be hydro powered, meaning a sharp drop in emissions.

Last edited:
Ok, muricans, tell me when it became the norm to casualy pay 100K$ for a mediocre car?
Around 2020 with record low interest rates and a government stimulus package during covid that saw people receiving amounts of money that make higher tax brackets nervous.

I saw my 2005 Honda CRV with 236,000 miles on it go from $3400 to $9000. I paid $5000 for it with 90,000 miles in 2013.

Then car manufacturers saw everyone going crazy and made ~$60,000 the "base" model.

Yeah, Musk isn't just a liar but dosen't know the first thing about costs and priceing and for this money you could buy a full sized truck with better range and mileage ...... Elon best be on his way to Mars and try to sell it to the suckers there ..... LOL

I'm looking at getting a 2023 Ford F150 (V8) with a supercharger installed for 60k. I don't like EVs and I especially dislike EV trucks. The energy density storage just isn't there. The practicality, reliability, and long term confidence remains elusive for EVs

I'm looking at getting a 2023 Ford F150 (V8) with a supercharger installed for 60k. I don't like EVs and I especially dislike EV trucks. The energy density storage just isn't there. The practicality, reliability, and long term confidence remains elusive for EVs

I agree...

But Elon isn't really intending to sell these trucks to Americans, there are plenty of virtue-signaling non-Americans living in California that will buy these up (They couldnt be caught dead in a Detroit gas-guzzler.)

And Elon is going to serve that pious niche beautifully... if only for a few years.

EV cars are a joke. It has already been shown/proven that the hybrid approach is the most economical and has zero impact on our infrastructure or grid... hybrids have far greater range before 7m fuel ups (and do not require proprietary plugs or pumps, etc)

But none of that technology is allowed because CCP (ie rare metals) and Bidenomics (paid for by CCP) that doesn't want 4-cyl gasoline engines recharging your cars battery in America... they want you 100% reliant on the power grid... so in case of an emergency, they can cut the power and Citizens are immobile.... bcz the World Climate is changing, or some other victimhood status.

Co2 is not a pollutant, yet so many people are triggered by it without looking themselves in the mirror.. what is polluting the world's seas and air is what China is doing and dumping all those unwanted heavy metals & byproducts into streams and ocean... is pollution.

But (again) CCP are paying the World's Politicians to look the other away and to bribe them to focus on Carbon... not pollution.

So now we have EV cars and elitists talking about One's carbon footprint. It's a charade..

250 miles?
Remember when Musk said the Roadster that was "in production" in 2017 was supposed to have a range of 500 miles? And now in 2023 he still can't do 500 with a big truck and an extended battery. Oh boy...
IMO, Musk has is head in the place where the Sun doesn't shine and he expects everyone wanting an EV truck to suck up his marketing crap. Tesla vehicles are over-rated for range.

@midian182 That said, the article states that EV makers overstate their range. Maybe some do, but not all. Though it is a plugin hybrid, my neighbor has a Prius Prime that is rated at 25-mi all electric. She gets 38-mi all electric. Her husband has a Hyundai "Ioniq" EV. He says its rated at something like 284-mi and he routinely gets over 300-mi out of it. The point being that some EV/PHEV makers UNDERRATE their vehicle's range.

With all the asinine performance specs in the article, top speed, 0-60 times, etc., if anyone drives it like that, they will not get anywhere near the rated miles out of it.

Musk/Tesla are counting on people buying their marketing crap to sell his cars when that marketing crap is EV Snake Oil.

But, it is very, VERY ugly. Even if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't buy that thing. Its boxy and just doesn't look appealing in the slightest.

It should be illegal to waste time money and resources building crap that doesn't benefit the planet and the people.
This is a dog sh1t waste of time.

I agree...

But Elon isn't really intending to sell these trucks to Americans, there are plenty of virtue-signaling non-Americans living in California that will buy these up (They couldnt be caught dead in a Detroit gas-guzzler.)

And Elon is going to serve that pious niche beautifully... if only for a few years.

EV cars are a joke. It has already been shown/proven that the hybrid approach is the most economical and has zero impact on our infrastructure or grid... hybrids have far greater range before 7m fuel ups (and do not require proprietary plugs or pumps, etc)

But none of that technology is allowed because CCP (ie rare metals) and Bidenomics (paid for by CCP) that doesn't want 4-cyl gasoline engines recharging your cars battery in America... they want you 100% reliant on the power grid... so in case of an emergency, they can cut the power and Citizens are immobile.... bcz the World Climate is changing, or some other victimhood status.

Co2 is not a pollutant, yet so many people are triggered by it without looking themselves in the mirror.. what is polluting the world's seas and air is what China is doing and dumping all those unwanted heavy metals & byproducts into streams and ocean... is pollution.

But (again) CCP are paying the World's Politicians to look the other away and to bribe them to focus on Carbon... not pollution.

So now we have EV cars and elitists talking about One's carbon footprint. It's a charade..
Why would China care so much about something that they would spend a massive amount of money paying off the world's politicians? China has a lot of money, but not that much. There are plenty of hybrids on the road in America, they just aren't halo products that people and the media lust after. Additionally, the Biden administration has applied sanctions on China's AI research limiting CPU and GPU technology, and it's the administration has been tasking experts with finding different sources of rare earth metals including domestic production to not rely on China. That sounds pretty anti-CCP to me.

Reducing our dependence on foreign oil is good, isn't it? Do you remember the two oil crises that hurt the American economy? It's not as if people are being forced to buy them in the US, they are just another choice and some of them are cheaper than other vehicles when the total cost of ownership is taken into account (gas price dependent). I prefer the convenience of gasoline powered vehicles along with their better handling, but I'm not going to tell people who want an EV they are wrong. Less demand should decrease the price of fuel. Let them buy an EV and hopefully we can spend less at the pump.

But, it is very, VERY ugly. Even if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't buy that thing. Its boxy and just doesn't look appealing in the slightest.
Correct. Anyone with even a passing understanding of structural physics can see it is weak structurally. Straight, flat panels with little if any curvature to aid rigidity. Couple that with the fantasy idea that it is going to be a load carrier on top of a huge weight of battery. It's like waking up to a totally different reality after too much LSD.

Back