Tesla is quietly raising Supercharging costs in the United States

Polycount

Staff

Though electric cars have always had a dedicated fanbase, they've become quite a bit more popular lately. This is due in no small part to efforts from companies like Tesla to push electric vehicles into the mainstream with mass market options like the Model 3.

As popular as EVs may be, "range anxiety," or the fear that long-distance travel will be difficult or impossible with an EV, has always been a concern. Tesla mitigated these worries among their own customers by initially promising them free, unlimited access to lightning-fast Supercharger stations around the world. While that promise has since been rescinded for new customers, Supercharging fees have still remained relatively low, at least in comparison to traditional fuel costs.

Unfortunately for Tesla fans, that seems to be changing now. As reported by Electrek, Tesla's Supercharging fees appear to be quietly rising across the United States. The outlet reports Supercharging fees per kilowatt-hour in Oregon have doubled from 12 cents to 24 cents while California Tesla owners will see fees rise from 20 cents per kWh to 26 cents per kWh.

These price hikes may not seem terribly significant at first but small price increases can add up in the long term, particularly for Tesla owners that rely on Supercharging for more frequent long-distance trips.

When asked to comment on the situation, a Tesla spokesperson gave the following statement to Electrek:

We occasionally adjust rates to reflect current local electricity and usage. The overriding principle is that Supercharging will always remain significantly cheaper than gasoline, as we only aim to recover a portion of our costs while setting up a fair system for everyone. This will never be a profit center for Tesla.

Regardless of their reasoning behind this move, opting to silently raise the price of Supercharging might not be a popular decision among some of Tesla's more vocal customers.

Permalink to story.

It is only the low relative adaptation to thank for the prices not blowing up just yet.

By the time the market reaches 50/50 with gasoline/electrical cars, you'll be paying the same per mile, because it is not about the cost, it is about how much they can charge you and get away with it.

Happy driving!

Well thanks this has to a lot with the import tariffs with lithium, circuit boards and solar panels. The cost of nearly all of these things has gone up 30% and this increase in prices has to be made up somewhere. Tesla is a business after all not some Utopian star trek fantasy that all it's users think it is. If Tesla doesn't stop farting butterflies and pissing rainbows it will fail no matter how much money musk throws at it.

By the time everyone has an electric car, the cost of charging it, will be equivalent to gas!
not true, gasoline has to be drilled, processed and transported by land. Once power lines are up cost of transporting electricity is nearly null while Solar and renewables have recently shown themselves to be cheaper in the long run compared to recent years.

And don't get the wrong idea, there are few things I love more than the sound of a giant V8 screaming down the highway but there is no getting around that electric cars are the future.

LMAO...of course! Get everyone hooked, then DRIVE the cost to charge UP.
Just wait until more people drive alternative fuel vehicles, and the states start
losing out on tax revenue, then start charging PER MILE driven. Some states
are already doing or thinking about it. You think government is going to be all
happy with a DECREASE in money coming to their piggy bank? After all, they are
the ones PUSHING alternative fuel vehicles, C.A.F.E. fuel standards, encouraging
people to get vehicles with better fuel mileage. Now that we do, or, are doing that,
they are crying about not getting "their" cut.
Just drill & refine more gas, there is MORE than enough. The "fuel shortage" in the
70's was a ruse to drive up the price, as is a lot of the crap today, but the man made
global warming clowns have some people (especially the young, thanks to government
indoctrination) believing this "man's fault" garbage.
So now, we put up with vehicles devoid of METAL to keep us safe, cars so light, if you
lean against one, you might crush a fender, and, if you do get into a minor crash, of less
than 10-15mph, you are looking at several THOUSAND dollars in repair costs, because
to get those mileage rates up, there is more PLASTIC in a vehicle, than metal.

Just wait until more people drive alternative fuel vehicles, and the states start
the ones PUSHING alternative fuel vehicles, C.A.F.E. fuel standards, encouraging
people to get vehicles with better fuel mileage. Now that we do, or, are doing that,
Just drill & refine more gas, there is MORE than enough. The "fuel shortage" in the
70's was a ruse to drive up the price, as is a lot of the crap today, but the man made
global warming clowns have some people (especially the young, thanks to government
So now, we put up with vehicles devoid of METAL to keep us safe, cars so light, if you
lean against one, you might crush a fender, and, if you do get into a minor crash, of less
than 10-15mph, you are looking at several THOUSAND dollars in repair costs, because
There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to start. So, I wont. I'm going to pick up some Chipotle and comeback and argue with people on youtube instead.

There is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to start. So, I wont. I'm going to pick up some Chipotle and comeback and argue with people on youtube instead.
Did you get me anything?

By the time everyone has an electric car, the cost of charging it, will be equivalent to gas!
not true, gasoline has to be drilled, processed and transported by land. Once power lines are up cost of transporting electricity is nearly null while Solar and renewables have recently shown themselves to be cheaper in the long run compared to recent years.

And don't get the wrong idea, there are few things I love more than the sound of a giant V8 screaming down the highway but there is no getting around that electric cars are the future.

Ok buddy can you explain how a dual 16GB kit of RAM costs the same as an i7 CPU?

Ok buddy can you explain how a dual 16GB kit of RAM costs the same as an i7 CPU?
crypto miners have been increasing demand on GPUs thus the demand for GDDR to go with them. Fabs have offset DDR4 production to keep up with mining and ASIC demands for high speed GDDR or HBM2. The demand for DDR4 has stayed the same but availability has gone down thus raising the price. Don't blame the miners, this trend has been in the making for years now and after about 5 years the manufactures are looking for someone to blame since they haven't tried to renegotiate contracts with large fabs. further, despite the anticipated demand by all parties(due to the future being based on computing power) no one has done anything. Fabs haven't tried to expand, manufactures haven't tried to renegotiate contracts. So what do they do? They blame people like me for the shortages after advertising for years that this is the future of computing. Now that the future of computing is here they are completely unprepared and looking for anyone but themselves to blame.

It kinda hard not to blame the miners, after reading your first sentence though.
Read what I said as a whole. It isn't the miners fault that GPU manufacturers have been pushing "GPUs as the future of computing" but not securing contracts to increase production. It's isn't the future of computing's fault that these manufacturers won't do what it takes to make their vision a reality. Especially since this has been a problem creeping up steadily over the last 5 years.

"Nahh, were going to ignore our marketing and PR team and just say we're a gaming company now". Don't get made at people like me because manufacturers can't make good on their promises. After all, people just like me are using their products for the future they envisioned.

It's their fault that this shortage exists. It is their fault they didn't secure more production contracts. They(AMD and Nvidia) have been pushing this for years now. This has been going on for atleast 5 years now with major shortages starting over 3 years ago.

It isn't my fault I bought a product to use it for something. It isn't my fault these companies didn't secure contracts to produce more products to prevent these shortages.

Then, the fabs can't keep up because everyone wants a new cell phone every year but no one wants to invest in infustructure to expand.

They're yelling "future of computing!" But didn't take the nessicary steps to provide it to us. Now they managed to make the miners and gamers argue amongst themselves because of something they did themselves.

Further, this isn't going to be the end of the shortage. There is going to be shortages for atleast another 5 years because these contracts have to take place 2-3 years in advanced. Then an average production cycle is 18-24 months. This has been years in the making and we are still looking at years of inflated pricing and shortages.

Who's fault is it? Who's job is it to secure contracts for customer demand?

What? You probably also believe that the Earth is flat right?

I would guess maybe they were charging at a loss before? Now with price increases and the larger amount of tesla drivers out there, and the expect boom of them as Model 3 orders beginning mass delivery, they need to offer the service at a profitable price point (especially with the model 3 being so cheap). Nothing stops you from charging from home, and the vast majority of tesla users are prob not driving the 200-300 miles there cars offer in range in a day.

Back