Tesla reaches profitability for the first time in its 10-year history

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Tesla Motors reported a quarterly profit for the first time in its 10-year history during the first quarter of 2013. This was done by exceeding their own targets for deliveries, expanding gross margin and improving execution throughout the company according...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/52535-tesla-reaches-profitability-for-the-first-time-in-its-10-year-history.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

Denxnis

Glad to see the company is making a profit, goes to show some people are finally embracing the fact that we cannot rely on oil for the rest of our lives.

Jad Chaar

Great stuff. I really hope they introduce more cars into the lineup. But seriously, 10 years without turning a profit is tough! Way to stick with it.

9Nails

Just watched "Revenge of the Electric Car", and I'm happy to see Tesla reach this most impressive milestone! I also couldn't believe that it's been 10 years of Tesla this far.

TomSEA

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but one of my buddies has a Tesla S and it is without a doubt the most impressive car I've ridden in. Glad to see that innovation is alive and well in the auto industry and this company is now starting to make a buck for that innovation.

St1ckM4n

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but one of my buddies has a Tesla S and it is without a doubt the most impressive car I've ridden in. Glad to see that innovation is alive and well in the auto industry and this company is now starting to make a buck for that innovation.
What innovation? I'm being serious. Tesla takes a nice shell and shoves 5+year old poor technology batteries in them. Where is the innovation?

cliffordcooley

What innovation? I'm being serious. Tesla takes a nice shell and shoves 5+year old poor technology batteries in them. Where is the innovation?
Yeah, if it hadn't been for gasoline engines booming, this tech could have taken off in the 40's. I can't imagine where we would be if electric cars would have evolved with the PC world.

G

....and the power required to charge these cars exceeds the carbon footprint of burning fuel.

Go figure.

Mister_K

^ depends how the power is attained

Even if that statement is true, if no development is done on this, we are heading for a collapse. These technologies NEED to be developed, even at the cost you have stated (which could be completely false, I don't know).

Keep it up Tesla, innovate!

Reactions: cliffordcooley

QWales

This is what is going to change everything, incl the carbon footprint issue mentioned above:

"Battery Breakthrough Offers 30 Times More Power, Charges 1,000 Times Faster:"
http://mashable.com/2013/04/17/battery-breakthrough/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22191650
Actualy I retract the later part of that statement if it uses more carbon to generate the electricity needed to power a vehicle a specific distance than is used by a traditional oil based machine.