Tesla receives over 200,000 pre-orders for the Cybertruck in less than a week

Humza

Staff member
What just happened? Tesla's Cybertruck unveiling wasn't without its faults, but it did manage to garner a lot of interest from early adopters, over 200,000 of whom placed pre-orders for the electric pickup over the weekend.

It's fairly easy to imagine the hype when Elon Musk gets onstage with an electric pickup nearly as divisive as the man himself. Although Tesla's stock price dipped by 6 percent after the Cybertruck's recent unveiling, pre-orders continued to pile up over the weekend and reached an impressive 200,000 as of Sunday night.

The pickup is still a few years away, but the company's marketing and the lower price of admission have resulted in a healthy number of prospective buyers. Keeping them as such would be a challenge for Tesla, as the company's track record of actually delivering its cars on schedule has run into various issues in the past, leading many to cancel their reservations last year after running out of patience for the Model 3 to make it to their driveways.

Nevertheless, the pickup truck remains a favorite class of vehicle among US buyers, most of whom are likely behind these pre-order figures. It also helps that the $100 refundable fee needed to reserve the Cybertruck is Tesla's lowest price yet, as compared to the $1,000 deposit required for the Model 3 and the $2,500 fee for the Model Y SUV.

Reaching such a high number of pre-orders for the Cybertruck was made possible "with no advertising & no paid endorsement" boasted Musk on Twitter, but then that duty was taken over by the internet itself, which unleashed a sea of Cybertruck memes over the weekend and made sure the electric pickup remained a hot topic of most discussions, online and offline.

Highlighting the Cybertruck's utility and speed, Musk compared it to America's current favorite pickup and one of the world's best sports cars, calling it a "better truck than an F-150 [and] faster than a Porsche 911." For what it's worth, he also shared a brief clip of the Ford pickup being pulled uphill by the supposedly more powerful and heavier Cybertruck.

Although Tesla's latest product might not be to everyone's taste, the company can certainly do with the $20 million or so which it has generated through the Cybertruck's pre-orders in such a short period. The company has only managed to record five profitable quarters to date, including its latest Q3'19, and the Cybertruck could potentially provide a much needed, if temporary, financial relief.

Also, unlike the Model 3 that was touted as the cheapest Tesla but launched with its most expensive trim, the Cybertruck will be made the other way round. Its cheaper single and dual-motor versions will be produced initially in the latter part of 2021, followed by the flagship tri-motor spec that's expected to arrive no sooner than late 2022.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, to make the longest charge time the "high end" is simple deception and frankly, this is about as ugly as a vehicle can get. I can't say I'd own one even if they only cost 20K.

Am I the only one that notices how bad the "truck" squats with just a 4-wheeler in the back? This makes me very leery about any kind of towing capacity they claim, or even any kind of utility use. What's the point of a "truck" if you can't haul anything with it? Unless the suspension has some kind of "squat mode" (air bags) to help with loading?

Last edited:
Am I the only one that notices how bad the "truck" squats with just a 4-wheeler in the back? This makes me very leery about any kind of towing capacity they claim, or even any kind of utility use. What's the point of a "truck" if you can't haul anything with it? Unless the suspension has some kind of "squat mode" (air bags) to help with loading?

It does. It has an air suspension that regenerates the battery with motion. It can also lower down for loading. It can also function as an air compressor line built in to the car for inflating tires.

I got one too. The design is stunning in person. Pictures do not make it justice. Also it is the best truck specs wise.

I noticed that too. According to Tesla's website:
ADAPTIVE AIR SUSPENSION
Raise and lower suspension four inches in either direction for easy access to Cybertruck or the vault, while self-leveling capabilities adapt to any occasion and assist with every job.

I noticed that too. My assumption is that it is for loading.
That's what I was assuming. However, depending on how it does that, that part of the suspension could be a major reliability issue. Just look at the airbag suspension that they use in Range Rovers(or land rovers? I never know what to call them). Anyway, they need replaced constantly, they are the most expensive part of out of warranty maintenance

That f-150 wasn't even in 4x4 in the video clip, what a stupid comparison?! At least do it right when you want to show something like that off.

There is no such thing as bad press. In Fact the more "mistakes" you make with a launch the more people will know about your product.
Just like the $999 apple monitor stand this will quickly spread.
Then after the initial "omg the window shattered when they threw a steel ball at it" people might start to think.. "oh uhm that actually happens to all windows on all cars/trucks right now and at $40k this is cheap enough to justify the fuglyness"

Squats low and can raise to give 16" of clearance.

Last edited:
That f-150 wasn't even in 4x4 in the video clip, what a stupid comparison?! At least do it right when you want to show something like that off.

There is no such thing as bad press. In Fact the more "mistakes" you make with a launch the more people will know about your product.
Just like the $999 apple monitor stand this will quickly spread.
Then after the initial "omg the window shattered when they threw a steel ball at it" people might start to think.. "oh uhm that actually happens to all windows on all cars/trucks right now and at $40k this is cheap enough to justify the fuglyness"

The tug of war demo might have been misleading, but until Ford uses a 4x4 to pull a Cybertruck, it's still an impressive demo.

That's what I was assuming. However, depending on how it does that, that part of the suspension could be a major reliability issue. Just look at the airbag suspension that they use in Range Rovers(or land rovers? I never know what to call them). Anyway, they need replaced constantly, they are the most expensive part of out of warranty maintenance

I have three cousins and several friends that are dealer Land Rover mechanics. Oh yes, there are stories. haha

I have three cousins and several friends that are dealer Land Rover mechanics. Oh yes, there are stories. haha
The unfortunate side of it is that they are wonderful vehicles and I have friends who are so passionate about them the put up with the maintenance. There is something to be said for that, but I'll stick to my old Hondas, lol

The unfortunate side of it is that they are wonderful vehicles and I have friends who are so passionate about them the put up with the maintenance. There is something to be said for that, but I'll stick to my old Hondas, lol

Land Rover has some real turds (like going 25-40k miles then overhaul the engine), but so does every brand. They said the newer ones since ford took over are much better, but they are cramming so much stuff in them that even they have difficulty repairing. I hear a lot and they hate them, but again they are seeing only the problem cases.

This should be a fun truck with TRUMP stickers plastered all over it... which inevitably, will happen.

Land Rover has some real turds (like going 25-40k miles then overhaul the engine), but so does every brand. They said the newer ones since ford took over are much better, but they are cramming so much stuff in them that even they have difficulty repairing. I hear a lot and they hate them, but again they are seeing only the problem cases.
267k on my 2004 CRV and all I've done are oil changes, brakes and tires.

But when I get to drive one of my friends I can certainly see why they love them so much.

It was my understanding that land rovers was bought by jaguar and now they're both owned by a Chinese company

Back