Tesla rolls out Model X 60D with a base price of $74,000

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’re in the market for a new Tesla Model X SUV but can’t justify parting with such a large amount of money, today’s news may be right up your alley.

Tesla on Wednesday rolled out a new option for the Model X which it is calling the 60D. Starting at $74,000, the 60D’s battery is said to be good for a range of 200 miles between charges. In terms of performance, it’ll shoot you from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 6.0 seconds with a top speed of 130 miles per hour.

For comparison, the Model X 75D starts around $80,000 and carries a range rating of 237 miles. The high-end 90D is good for 257 miles between charges.

Interestingly enough, the 60D carries the same size battery as the more expensive Model X 75D which is a 75 kWh unit. To create this new entry-level class, Tesla has simply limited the output of the battery artificially via software. This means that, down the road, a Model X 60D owner can pay to have the additional range unlocked.

Tesla did the same thing with its Model S line in June, introducing two lower-end configurations in the Model S 60 and 60D. Like the Model X, both of these vehicles also carry a larger 75 kWh battery that’s been limited through software. Pricing for the base Model S starts at $66,000.

Permalink to story.

Nice to see "Elon", still has the salt of the earth, common man close to his heart.

Will we be able to cut Must a deposit check, so we might be able to take delivery of one, if and when, the Shanghai factory is built? I'm so hoping, because I'll definitely be able to afford one of these on Social Security..(y)

That is of course, as long as the "Irish Travelers" don't talk me out of my "life savings", in the false hope of having my "driveway repaired". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

Oh wait, I don't have a driveway! Elon baby, I'mma gonna grab my ankles, why doncha sell me a car?

Nice to see "Elon", still has the salt of the earth, common man close to his heart.

Will we be able to cut Must a deposit check, so we might be able to take delivery of one, if and when, the Shanghai factory is built? I'm so hoping, because I'll definitely be able to afford one of these on Social Security..(y)

That is of course, as long as the "Irish Travelers" don't talk me out of my "life savings", in the false hope of having my "driveway repaired". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

Oh wait, I don't have a driveway! Elon baby, I'mma gonna grab my ankles, why doncha sell me a car?
You know that if you send me your banking information I can wire money to you from one of my many Nigerian bank accounts!

Prince yRaz, I wouldn't want to impose. I would need money for the driveway, the roof, the Tesla, and hopefully have some left over credit for an underage Vietnamese bride. Mine has to be special though, and love hamburgers. :cool:

Prince yRaz, I wouldn't want to impose. I would need money for the driveway, the roof, the Tesla, and hopefully have some left over credit for an underage Vietnamese bride. Mine has to be special though, and love hamburgers. :cool:
I hear that in Vietnam they turn some underaged brides into hamburgers! You wouldn't be interested in any of my underage brides, would you? They're slightly used but still in "like new" condition. I can't imagine what it's like to live without a driveway, I have several. I can expand the amount of credit if you'd like to install a few and perhaps get a second Tesla for your bride!

Once you leave the EU you wont be able to either!

Ireland will never leave the EU.
Well the funny thing is that it's no longer up to Ireland. If Ireland wants to stay in the EU it has to leave the UK. Might want to stock up on potatoes, haggis or whatever it is you guys eat over there, because the UK just ****ed it's own economy

Well the funny thing is that it's no longer up to Ireland. If Ireland wants to stay in the EU it has to leave the UK. Might want to stock up on potatoes, haggis or whatever it is you guys eat over there, because the UK just ****ed it's own economy

That's just a hateful BS. The visa-free travel and various economical provisions between Ireland and UK go way back before the EU existed, and won't be cancelled.

That's just a hateful BS. The visa-free travel and various economical provisions between Ireland and UK go way back before the EU existed, and won't be cancelled.
sounds like Irelands leaving the EU then

or just a new mindset? or wait, you can't buy it :)...[ ]...
No, it's actually an "I wouldn't, even if I could". Does that meet your criteria for specificity?

Oh, and would you mind passing the potatoes?

.... [ ].....how about invoicing TechSpot for every like you get? ;)
Did you want to help me out with that?

Oh and FWIW, the next time I have 70 grand I absolutely have to spend on a car, I think I'd grab one of these:
481943.jpg

In lieu of a electric Hyundai "Sonata", which some ********, hung a set of gull wing doors on.

Last edited:
Ireland isn't part of the UK but it is part of the EU. You need to make the distinction between Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, and the separate independent country of Ireland.

Ireland isn't part of the UK but it is part of the EU. You need to make the distinction between Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, and the separate independent country of Ireland.
That border was drawn as recently as 1992(?) I just managed to fall into this discussion elsewhere.

FWIW, google maps clearly shows Northern Ireland as a separate country. Which is odd, curious, or really ironic depending on how you look at it. The reason for that is, there are no drawn borders between, England, Scotland & Wales.

OK, underneath this line_________________________________________________is pure bulls***....sprinkled with the truth now & again>

Now Scotland, IIRC, was annexed around the time Mel Gibson painted himself blue and fought on the wrong side of the whole sordid blood bath. Or perhaps it might have been the middle ages. Erstwhile, "Steeleye Span", sings a song how about England used mercenaries to annex Scotland, "for hireling traitors wages", and so forth. Of course Scotland didn't have Sean Connery or they obviously would have prevailed...(y)

Actually, that's a Scottish folk song, thus:

Fareweel to a' our Scottish fame,
Fareweel our ancient glory;
Fareweel ev'n to the Scottish name,
Sae fam'd in martial story.
Now Sark rins over Solway sands,
An' Tweed rins to the ocean,
To mark where England's province stands-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!
What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.
The English steel we could disdain,
Secure in valour's station;
But English gold has been our bane -
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!
O would, ere I had seen the day
That Treason thus could sell us,
My auld grey head had lien in clay,
Wi' Bruce and loyal Wallace!
But pith and power, till my last hour,
I'll mak this declaration;
We're bought and sold for English gold-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation![2]

OK, the song was a poem by Robert Burns, and it isn't about that at all, (I don't think).

And so ends cranky's fractured history lesson. Thank God, finally! (I know what you're thinking).

BS ends at this line________________________________________________________________________________

In any event, here's the Google map of the UK, which clearly shows a country border between North Ireland and Ireland: I hope it will hold my zoom settings, but I doubt it. So, be prepared to do a little clicking, zooming, and dragging. That is of course, if any of you are still listening...:D

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.5017212,-4.4423002,7z?hl=en-US

Son of a gun! It actually does hold my zoom settings....! Google is as impressive as it is omnipresent

In feeble attempt to bring this back to topic, perhaps Elon Musk, carpetbagger extraordinaire, might find it worthwhile to stage his headquarters in NI, so he can suck up the same tax breaks that Apple does.

Last edited:
FWIW, google maps clearly shows Northern Ireland as a separate country. Which is odd, curious, or really ironic depending on how you look at it. The reason for that is, there are no drawn borders between, England, Scotland & Wales.
Doesn't "clearly" show it but there is a border on the google maps images that shows the border between Scotland and England.

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.5690106,-2.2605955,12.39z

Not sure why it's so faint on the map.

Same type of delineation exists for Wales and England.

As for Tesla, its great you get lifetime use of their supercharger stations. Shame there are only 2 in Scotland (Previous time I checked the closest one was in Germany so looks like the network of stations is spreading).

Last edited:
So, if you can't justify parting with such a large sum of money, you can buy a Tesla, base price $74,000?
thanks for thinking of the common man, is it just me, or is that a boatload of cash in which 'justification' won't even enter into the picture, I simply don't have it.

Doesn't "clearly" show it but there is a border on the google maps images that shows the border between Scotland and England.
During my youth, it was difficult to watch a US newscast, without encountering something regarding the IRA's "exploits". So, (in my admittedly limited understanding of it), that particular border was hard fought to endure, (or to have been created).
Same type of delineation exists for Wales and England.
I know maps from way back! We actually gave them away for free! Of course this was at my first actual job, at a "petrol" station, some 50 years past.

But no,, those demarcation lines Google has drawn for Scotland and wales, are more suitable for the borders of "counties", not countries. I can only come to one of two conclusions. For political reasons, the Ireland / NI border is drawn as a "country", or Google has a great search engine, but lousy mapmakers.

As for Tesla, its great you get lifetime use of their supercharger stations. Shame there are only 2 in Scotland (Previous time I checked the closest one was in Germany so looks like the network of stations is spreading).
Regarding your dearth of "Supercharger" stations, you'll just have to wait until Musk gets off his landlubbing a**, and builds the "Tesla-Phibian", the design of which he could easily snatch from Philly's "Duck Boats", (the same way he borrows most of his sci-fi "visionary" patter, from a multitude of authors).

This is a duck boat, (which using a copious amount imagination), could just as well be plowing into the English Channel, full speed ahead:
Screen_Shot_2015-05-08_at_6.38.15_.65b686bd.fill-735x490.png

After which, it would be a short hop through France to get to the charging station. Of course, you'd still have to cross the Maginot Line. But not to worry, the Germans did it at the outset of WW2, and so can you! (Although, it was never meant to keep the Frenchmen in France. They stay for the wine, women (with hairy armpits), and song, while they dream of the opportunity to tour the Louvre themselves.

The following is a cruel reminder of the general dangers an "autopilot" system could expose the, "Phib" driver to, when faced with very large obstructions:

Never mind, that would be in extremely bad taste, even by my complete lack of standards. :D

Last edited:
So, if you can't justify parting with such a large sum of money, you can buy a Tesla, base price $74,000?
thanks for thinking of the common man, is it just me, or is that a boatload of cash in which 'justification' won't even enter into the picture, I simply don't have it.
Then's there's the matter of that Tesla being one f*** butt ugly automobile to contend with.

I mean ask yourself, "why would anybody put gull wing doors on a Hyundai "Sonata"? Not to mention the fact the first time one takes a substantial hit to the rear end, the doors won't work, and you'll have to break out the rear windshield to get in and out,. Plus, quit driving for Uber, which after all, was helping with the car payments...! (Not completely staving off repossession mind you, but "helping"). :eek::D

Back