Tesla solar roof installations are now coming online

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tesla in late 2016 shared plans for a line of glass roofing tiles with integrated solar cells. The high-tech shingles were designed to look and function like conventional roofing materials with the added benefit of harnessing solar energy from the sun.

Now roughly 18 months later, the first consumer installations (excluding early units installed at the homes of Tesla employees and other company brass) have taken place.

Electrek first reported on installations last week but at the time, the systems weren’t connected to the local electric utility. That has since changed as one user reported over the weekend that her system is now up and running, likely making it the first working public Tesla solar roof installation.

@Toblerhaus said the total price of the setup after federal kickbacks was in the mid-50K range in San Jose, California. Interestingly enough, she said that only about half of the panels on the roof are solar-collecting; the rest are “dummies” (only half a roof’s worth was needed to meet her energy needs).

Another user, Tri Huynh in the Bay Area, said his whole solar roof system with three Powerwall home battery systems checked in around $100,000. His system can reportedly generate pretty much all of the electricity the home needs and can store excess energy in the Powerwalls.

Tesla’s solution isn’t cheap by any stretch of the imagination although if you live in an area that receives abundant sunshine, it could be a worthwhile venture in the long run and increase the value of your home.

Permalink to story.

I did the calculations for my own home and the recovery time was 23.5 years ....... hardly economical!

I've spent more than $25,000 on solar electricity, solar heating and installation of low energy products for our home. My "greenie" friends have spent somewhere between zero and nothing on their homes. Whilst my electricity bills have reduced, like you it is going to take "forever" to recover my investment - and that's assuming nothing (more) goes wrong with any of the products :-(

If someone really wants to live in the middle of nowhere, presuming there is adequate sunshine year round, this system makes it possible to do so without losing modern conveniences. Throw in satellite phone and Internet, a shotgun and hunting rifle with thousands of shells, outdoor stove for grilling and cooking, and it should be a personal paradise. Now, to make the first million.

Everyone here always seems to moan about the monetary ROI forgetting that really on green issues we should be doing them for our future, the environment and because shiny and new :)

we should be doing them for our future, the environment
Tell that to Investors that monetize on everything. Which keeps prices inflated way more than necessary. They're not going to wait 20 years to get their money back. By half that time they want their money back 10 fold or more.

Everyone here always seems to moan about the monetary ROI forgetting that really on green issues we should be doing them for our future, the environment and because shiny and new :)
Great. Are you bankrolling these for everybody?

If the ROI isnt good, most people are not going to throw tons of money at something, especially as money isnt in abundance for many people. Replacing a roof is a major expense, and most people cant afford to throw everything into a tesla roof unless it saves them a metric ton of money.

Great. Are you bankrolling these for everybody?

If the ROI isnt good, most people are not going to throw tons of money at something, especially as money isnt in abundance for many people. Replacing a roof is a major expense, and most people cant afford to throw everything into a tesla roof unless it saves them a metric ton of money.

That is unfortunate. Still, there are quite a few people who are willing and have the money to invest in something like this. Then, it will trickle down to lower prices. This is dangerous for energy providers since self-sustainability is not something our current society wants us to be.

Lets not forget that in the past people made their own food, grew animals, didn't used electricity, petrol, gas. It cut some trees and made the fire during the winter. You couldn't earn any money over other people's lives. Now we are customers and live to pay debts to wealthy people. Simple as that.

Don't forget that if you're building a house, or it's time to replace the existing roof anyway, the cost of a conventional roof would have to be deducted from the cost of the solar roof to determine your solar investment.

Elon Musk is a myth.
Someone who shares my opinion! LOL

For most people, this is way too expensive, and, for the do-it-yourselfer, I am willing to bet that you could put together a similarly powered system with storage for around maybe $20K - $30K, like @onestepforward did, and not have to deal with Tesla or Musk.

Why all the Musk haters? He is doing all the things nobody else could do, or enough of it to get the ball rolling in the right direction. Getting the human race to try expanding to more planets (increasing our odds of racial survival) - NASA was about to be legislated out of existence by budget cuts, until Musk showed that a Mars colony could be feasible. Now NASA is talking about Mars missions, along with several other companies in the private sector.
GM, the largest corporation in the world, was killing off their lame EV program, even amid loud protests from consumers, until Musk showed that electric vehicles are viable alternatives to gas guzzlers - now every auto maker has one or plans for several.
The Powerwall batteries and solar systems have the potential to reduce carbon emissions by a large factor, and diversify our outdated power infrastructure into private ownership, another win for humanity.
His tunneling company aims to show that traffic problems are solvable, when governments just keep building more roads, making it worse.
So why all the hate? Because you didn't think of it first, or do anything to solve these problems? Not that people care what I think, but I lose all respect for the opinions of those who disrespect Elon Musk, just because I respect people with the vision and drive to get things done and bring about positive change, instead of just getting rich off the same old status quo.

Why all the Musk haters? He is doing all the things nobody else could do, or enough of it to get the ball rolling in the right direction. Getting the human race to try expanding to more planets (increasing our odds of racial survival) - NASA was about to be legislated out of existence by budget cuts, until Musk showed that a Mars colony could be feasible. Now NASA is talking about Mars missions, along with several other companies in the private sector.
Mars has been a goal of NASA for a long time and they have probably been studying it for more years than Musk is old. NASA is a technology driver and it is highly unlikely they will lose funding in the foreseeable future. They contract constantly with the private sector and drive jobs. And Musk, himself, has publicly stated not all that long ago that his Mars ambitions are going to take much longer than he originally thought - by 10-years or more. It has been my experience that when people start saying that things are going to take more than a year, they usually mean they have no clue when, or if, it will become reality. Fusion scientists have been saying practical fusion power is 20-years away since the mid-1970's or before, and we still don't have viable fusion power plants. You might think that colonizing Mars is technologically easier than developing practical fusion power plants, however, I would question that assessment.

As to the survival of the human race? It is a great dream, however, as I see it, that has to start here on Earth. Without Earth, at least for the foreseeable future, a Mars colony would not survive. Mars is far less a hospitable planet than Earth to an extreme, and to survive there without Earth to help would mean industrializing Mars to a technological capacity similar to what presently exists only on Earth. That, alone, would be an amazing achievement in this century, as I see it.

And Musk putting 1,000,000 people on Mars like he says he wants to in the near future? Need I ask about cost, for starters?

I also question anyone that thinks that NASA does not have the capability to or could not develop reusable rocket technology. They did so with the shuttle and they have some of the brightest minds on the planet working for them. They have chosen to encourage companies like SpaceX for the kind of missions that SpaceX is currently flying while they focus on the significantly more difficult tasks.

Lastly, NASA announced plans to send humans to Mars well before Musk did, and I would also credit them with giving Musk the idea. Musk has not shown that colonizing Mars is feasible. The feasibility of it has been known for a long time, however, the technology has not been and still is not up to the task yet.
GM, the largest corporation in the world, was killing off their lame EV program, even amid loud protests from consumers, until Musk showed that electric vehicles are viable alternatives to gas guzzlers - now every auto maker has one or plans for several.
I would not hold up GM as an example of a company interested in anything but profit. Typically, when there are serious problems with GM cars, they have to have their arms twisted by the NTSB to recall them.

As I see it, the inspiration comes from Toyota. Their first Prius version was released in Japan in 1997 well before Musk started Tesla, and in the US, the Prius has proven to be popular. If you would like, you can find the date Tesla was founded here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Motors

As I have said in other threads, Musk is not doing any advanced research into battery technology - rather he is building his cars with off-the-shelf parts, and his giga factory - now apparently well behind schedule - is producing more of the same old technology.

Toyota, on the other hand, and other companies are researching and developing better battery technology. I will put my money on these newer technologies and these companies making a much larger impact than Tesla Motors. I bet, also, that Tesla will become the modern-day equivalent of the Edsel because of these companies and their research.

As well, Toyota, from my experience, will voluntarily recall vehicles without the NTSB on their backs when they find problems. As I see it, that is a humanistic approach coming from a company that respects their customers.

The Powerwall batteries and solar systems have the potential to reduce carbon emissions by a large factor, and diversify our outdated power infrastructure into private ownership, another win for humanity.
The article mentioned that the cost of these systems are in the $100K range. With prices that high, it is highly unlikely that they will become the decentralized power system you are speaking of as the vast majority of the population anywhere in the world cannot afford them - nor is it even remotely economical at this point given current electricity prices. For a knowledgeable homeowner, it can be done for 1/5 to 1/3 the cost. Find a copy of the book "Wind Power" by Paul Gipe - a book that tells all about how to do something like this. At that price, my bet is that Musk's profits are on the order of 400 to 500 percent. He has employees he has to support, and the price he is selling these for tells me that his interests are more towards how much he can profit off it rather than the advancement of humanity.
His tunneling company aims to show that traffic problems are solvable, when governments just keep building more roads, making it worse.
I almost don't know where to start on this one. So, just how much is Musk going to charge to use it? How much ventilation will be needed to vent fumes? What happens to all the people trapped in there when things fail?
So why all the hate? Because you didn't think of it first, or do anything to solve these problems? Not that people care what I think, but I lose all respect for the opinions of those who disrespect Elon Musk, just because I respect people with the vision and drive to get things done and bring about positive change, instead of just getting rich off the same old status quo.
My apologies if you do not like what I have to say.

Maybe @captaincranky will address this in more depth. I'll just say that I think you are confusing riches gained from parasitic practices and showmanship for vision and humanitarianism.

Last edited:
Look, the English as a 4th language is cute, but incredibly tedious.

We'll shut up about ROI, when you start paying for our "greeny-ness". Kay?

Who buys a model S as an economy car??
Well Zach, it's time for some second grade math. If Tesla cars are going to save the world, people will have to buy them, now won't they?

But with the prices of said Tesla cars, particularly the Model "S", only those making more than say, $100,000 USD per year can afford them.

The percentage of people with that level of income, is perhaps under 5%....and that's in "first world countries".

In the meantime, many people in China, India, Pakistan, and Sub-Saharan Africa,, would have to have a 100 people chip in to buy a single car.

All the while, they'll be reproducing at a rate of 2 or 3 times that of people in the US, the UK, France, and other such countries..

So, before Teslas ever make a dent in "greenhouse gases", the 3rd world will have bred Tesla owners, off the face of the earth.

Last edited:
I'm betting that it won't be Musk who invents the warp drive.

Besides, if human beings could simply keep their underpants on, 90% of our problems would go away, without intervention, and without leaving earth for, "greener pastures"..

Any species that overcomes all of its predators and diseases, is doomed to overpopulate itself to starvation.

You've really been watching way too much Sci-Fi.

Last edited:

Besides, if human beings could simply keep their underpants on, 90% of our problems would go away, without intervention, and without leaving earth for, "greener pastures"..

Any species that overcomes all of its predators and diseases, is doomed to overpopulate itself to starvation.

Musk aside, I believe the reason that Stephen Hawking promulgated the idea of colonizing other planets was not only for these reasons but because of the belief that a large asteroid might one day hit earth and destroy its habitability. He may be correct or not but that's one of the reasons all the same.

Musk aside, I believe the reason that Stephen Hawking promulgated the idea of colonizing other planets was not only for these reasons but because of the belief that a large asteroid might one day hit earth and destroy its habitability. He may be correct or not but that's one of the reasons all the same.
Well, let's be realistic, Mr. Hawkins didn't have much else to do but sit around and think.

Human hubris fascinates me. I mean really, do we really think our seed needs to be spread across the galaxy as if it was a grandiose gift to the universe. It would be like moving on to the next place we'll strip of anything of value, and then turn into another dump site..

But when you start to talk of mass migration of the species, that's when all hell would break loose, courtesy and politesse be cast aside, and survival of the fittest, along with our kill or be killed animal instincts, would kick in, in full measure. Me first, I'm worthy. You could sell T-shirts with that on them by the millions, if not billions.

If you've never read this: http://mysite.du.edu/~treddell/3780/Kornbluth_The-Marching-Morons.pdf you should. It's only about 25 pages, and all you have to do, is substitute the name "Honest John Barlow", for "Elon Musk", and you'll have our future pretty much figured out.

While you're at it, read Orwell's "1984", and Huxley's "Brave New World" together. Both of those visions of dystopian societies have merged into what we call, "today".

518Qu93eU7L.jpg

Yes, there is the possibility of an extinction level event not only from asteroids, but perhaps from a nearby supernova blasting us with lethal radiation and just as well from crazy world leaders launching every nuclear missile they can get their hands on.

However, the statistical probability of any of these events, except perhaps the last one which I believe is the most likely, is extremely small.

As to an asteroid, there is constant research going on about how to mitigate this, and it is entirely possible that the problem will be solved before it is too late. The radiation scenario I mentioned, well, this is a problem well beyond our current technology, but also has the lowest probability of happening. I believe that some scientists believe that an extinction level event some 4 or 5 hundred million years ago was caused by that type of scenario, so statistically, you can extrapolate that to an extremely low probability of occurring.

Well, let's be realistic, Mr. Hawkins didn't have much else to do but sit around and think.

Human hubris fascinates me. I mean really, do we really think our seed needs to be spread across the galaxy as if it was a grandiose gift to the universe. It would be like moving on to the next place we'll strip of anything of value, and then turn into another dump site..

But when you start to talk of mass migration of the species, that's when all hell would break loose, courtesy and politesse be cast aside, and survival of the fittest, along with our kill or be killed animal instincts, would kick in, in full measure. Me first, I'm worthy. You could sell T-shirts with that on them by the millions, if not billions.

If you've never read this: http://mysite.du.edu/~treddell/3780/Kornbluth_The-Marching-Morons.pdf you should. It's only about 25 pages, and all you have to do, is substitute the name "Honest John Barlow", for "Elon Musk", and you'll have our future pretty much figured out.

While you're at it, read Orwell's "1984", and Huxley's "Brave New World" together. Both of those visions of dystopian societies have merged into what we call, "today".

518Qu93eU7L.jpg
I knew I could count on you, cranky! ;)

Back