Tesla starts selling $10,000-cheaper Model S and Model X variants with shorter ranges

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Tesla EVs are expensive, there's no arguing about that, but the company has now revealed cheaper versions of its Model S and Model X. The caveat is that they both have shorter ranges than the standard base and Plaid options and aren't as quick.

Tesla calls the new variants the Standard Range options, both of which are $10,000 cheaper than their base model counterparts.

Tesla's website lists the Model S Standard Range at $78,490, while the base version is $88,490 and the Tri-Motor Model S Plaid costs $108,490.

That lower price comes at the cost of a shorter range and less acceleration. The usual 405 miles in the base Model S is reduced to 320 miles, while the 3.1-second 0-60 mph acceleration time increases to 3.7 seconds, which is still blazing fast, of course.

It's the same story with the Model X. The $98,490 non-Plaid model drops to $88,490 for the new EV, while the range sees a significant decrease from 348 miles to 269 miles. The 0-60 mph time is also increased, from 3.8 seconds to 4.4 seconds.

The top speeds of both vehicles are unchanged, and prices don't include any applicable EV tax credits or optional extras like Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Capability.

As noted by Electrek, it's unclear if Tesla is creating a new battery pack for the new trims or if it is software-locking capacity in the Long Range battery pack. If it is software-locked, Tesla might allow owners to unlock the full capacity and range through a paid-for software update at some point in the future.

Tesla's configurator lists the estimated delivery dates for the new EVs as September to October this year.

The quiet arrival of the new Teslas comes less than a month after a report from Reuters claimed that the manufacturer has used overly optimistic range estimates and instructed staff to divert range-related complaints. Sources said Tesla at one point employed algorithms to give customers exaggerated estimates for the maximum driving range of its EVs and dedicated an entire office to silencing complaints on the issue.

Permalink to story.

I hope it's just a sleeker battery. We don't need any more of this software-locked BS...

Hmm, let's see. This suspiciously sounds like Tesla/Musk starting to feel the pressure of competition while also having bad press for their vehicles.
I hope it's just a sleeker battery. We don't need any more of this software-locked BS...
IMO, it is most certainly the software-locked BS as you put it.
Remember; being able to comfortably leave your own zip code is a privledge afforded only to the rich in this EV future.
For owners of Teslas - Absolutely. Then again, they were dumb enough to buy a Tesla.

Remember; being able to comfortably leave your own zip code is a privledge afforded only to the rich in this EV future.
I would probably go to a horse back or bicycle before spending 100K on a car. Last time I got a new car (VW Golf MK5 2017) even 15K looked a little much. Now the same car model is starting 25K on ICE and +40K electric.

I will bet you $1 that the car is physically identical to the more expensive version.
They just have stuff disabled in software.

All the ranges are false...!

It only considered the driver with nothing in the cargo space and under ideal climate...!

No AC, no heating one pasenger under 60Kg and 24 Celsius
You ever see a smoke pump get the advertised MPG rating?
No, you haven't.
Just using the AC lowers mileage 15 to 25%

"In the worst conditions, the EPA said that using the AC in your car can reduce your fuel economy by up to 25%"

"A study from AAA, for example, said that when it was 95 outside and the air conditioner was turned on, an EV can lose up to 17% of its range. Tesla disputes this and said that at 95 degrees, a Model S with the air conditioner on will lose about 1% of its range."

In my own experience AC hurts range more in city driving because otherwise the battery has very little load in slow moving traffic. On the highway, the AC drain is much less notable because the load of the motor FAR exceeds the power draw from the AC.

Last edited:
You ever see a smoke pump get the advertised MPG rating?
No, you haven't.
Just using the AC lowers mileage 15 to 25%
You left off a portion of that quote. I'll fill in the rest. From www.fueleconomy.gov:

"Running electrical accessories (e.g., air conditioner) decreases fuel economy. Operating the air conditioner on "Max" can reduce MPG by roughly 5%–25%...."

" The AC's effect on hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles (EVs) can be even larger on a percentage basis...."

You left off a portion of that quote. I'll fill in the rest. From www.fueleconomy.gov:

"Running electrical accessories (e.g., air conditioner) decreases fuel economy. Operating the air conditioner on "Max" can reduce MPG by roughly 5%–25%...."

" The AC's effect on hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles (EVs) can be even larger on a percentage basis...."
That's why I linked that article, so everyone can get the whole story.
Funny how that works, huh?

Last edited:
From what I've heard, it is software locked. The same gross vehicle weight rating is listed in the tech specs. It's unlikely they're using lower density battery cells the rely on different chemistry (Lithium Iron Phosphate).

I think a software lock is a fair tradeoff, it's not like they're increasing the price of the existing long range vehicle. In fact in many ways a software locked battery and acceleration is better for its longevity. It means vehicle components will be stressed less, similar to a non-overclocked processor. You could likely charge to 100% every day instead of the recommended 80-90% level and the battery would experience the same amount of wear and tear.

What Tesla should do however is allow owners to "overclock" the batteries and electric motors of their higher tier vehicles with in-vehicle software at your own risk. Every good EV battery is already software limited to protect its life, for instance the range shown is less than true max capacity to protect you if you go below 0. Teslas have a hidden not guaranteed 15-25mi range bottom buffer in case of an emergency where power decreases significantly and eventually it drives as slow as a VW bus before losing power. There is also a top buffer above the software-defined 100% capacity, and this would significantly increase battery degradation if Tesla allowed it (plus regenerative braking cannot function at full charge). Other components could wear out faster if the power (aka acceleration) was increased past 100%.

Well, if it's a battery that is by design bigger then it would last longer to operate on what's it's rated for.

The software bs is a thing that will be the future I'm affraid. You don't own that car you think you just bought.

All car brands are doing it.

I get software-locked when it is literally just software, which once already developed adds zero marginal cost to have available on standby for future purchase.

I don't understand how this concept works for expensive physical components, which includes batteries of the type used in these cars, yes? The capacity difference here is 26.5% - 320 vs 405 in the Model S. On what spreadsheet does it make sense to throw away 25% more battery?

Beyond just the cost of the batteries, we are talking about an ingredient that very possibly may be in short supply, eventually resulting in a capacity limit for how many EVs may be produced. It also adds weight to the vehicles, increases the costs and adverse effects of eventual disposal, and increases the danger of collisions.

I think a software lock is a fair tradeoff, it's not like they're increasing the price of the existing long range vehicle. In fact in many ways a software locked battery and acceleration is better for its longevity. It means vehicle components will be stressed less, similar to a non-overclocked processor. You could likely charge to 100% every day instead of the recommended 80-90% level and the battery would experience the same amount of wear and tear.
There might be some positives to it, but I will never like artificial limitations like that. If I bought the whole car, give me access to all available hardware.

As of yet there is no confirmation regarding the actual battery pack being implemented for the Model S/X standard range. Though a quick glance at Tesla's own webpage and some napkin math would suggest that they're much more likely to simply equip the new SKU's with the already in production packs from the model 3 Long range. Especially as starting about nowish the current Model 3 becomes the former model 3 as the Mk.2 Model 3 known as the "Highland" is beginning production this month for initial deliveries cited as October in Europe. As the Mk.2 Model 3 is widely rumored to be the first of Tesla's products to be equipped with the newer M3P batteries it would leave the former production capacity of packs for the outgoing Model 3 Long range available immediately to offer this newer scaled down version of the Model S/X

The suggestion of the new SKU Model S/X having artificially limited batteries doesn't fit with any of Tesla's previously ruthlessly efficient manufacturing processes. Repurposing of readily available capacity to further expand their land grab into a currently extremely vulnerable market while still making a very healthy margin on each unit shifted very much does fit the data set. Folks are still hamstrung by viewing Tesla through the outdated lens of what they've come to expect from an ossified and decrepit US centric automotive company, it has been well over a decade and that approach hasn't worked yet. I mean just ask the short sellers that have been dropping like flies over the last couple of months, also I wouldn't want to own Lucid stock after this announcement. Just for the record I personally love the Lucid product it just hasn't been their day, week, month or even year!

Hmm, let's see. This suspiciously sounds like Tesla/Musk starting to feel the pressure of competition while also having bad press for their vehicles.

IMO, it is most certainly the software-locked BS as you put it.

For owners of Teslas - Absolutely. Then again, they were dumb enough to buy a Tesla.
Toyota seems to think Tesla's are great, or at least they thought that of the Model Y they tore down before declaring it "a work of art".

https://electrek.co/2023/01/26/toyota-ceo-steps-down-amid-electric-vehicle-movement/

https://electrek.co/2023/02/28/tesla-model-y-work-of-art-toyota-tearing-down/

https://www.reuters.com/technology/why-are-other-automakers-chasing-teslas-gigacasting-2023-06-14/

Let us unpack this a little, they removed their CEO who hadn't paid any attention to the EV players eating their lunch (realized how screwed they were), bought the top selling EV on the planet and did a full disassembly analysis of it before proclaiming it a work of art. Then 3 months later they announce that they're moving their entire production methodology over to Gigacasting which has been pioneered by none other than Tesla, that company who's extremely popular and profitable EV they had just recently did an in depth analysis of. This is a timeline of a company coming to the realization that their entire executive has been rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic for the last decade. All they need is for their cold fusion dream of a solid state battery to become more than rhetoric and they definitely won't go bankrupt before 2030.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-tokyo-toyota-battery-idUSKBN1CW27Y

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...ery-evs-2026-built-by-new-ev-unit-2023-06-13/

Notice the dates, they've been making these claims for over 6 years and now citing "possible commercialization" in the 2027-2028 range. This is another example of a legacy titan withering before our eyes, this is what disruption of an industry looks like. Poignantly Toyota claimed in 2017 that their SSB (solid state battery) tech would double ranges and now they're talking about 2027, in the same 10 year window going from the Roaster in 2012 ~244Mi (EPA) to Model S in 2022 ~405Mi (EPA) Tesla actually did this while bringing the cost down substantially and building an industry leading charging network that the rest of the industry is desperate to get access to (Except Toyota as they don't really sell EV's in the US). I went out of my way to steel man the hell out of this point as you could easily have cite a Model 3 extended range (the one that is about to be replaced by one with newer tech and higher energy density batteries) that comes in at more like 150% the range but at less than half the price of the roadster when adjusted for inflation while being better than an already decent EV (for its time) in every quantifiable metric.

Every time I enter a comment section these days I'm reminded of the conversation I had with my mother when she simply couldn't believe a huge old American company like Sears could possibly have gone bankrupt! As far as she was concerned it had always been "such a well managed and profitable business".

Last edited:
Toyota seems to think Tesla's are great, or at least they thought that of the Model Y they tore down before declaring it "a work of art".

https://electrek.co/2023/01/26/toyota-ceo-steps-down-amid-electric-vehicle-movement/

https://electrek.co/2023/02/28/tesla-model-y-work-of-art-toyota-tearing-down/

https://www.reuters.com/technology/why-are-other-automakers-chasing-teslas-gigacasting-2023-06-14/

Let us unpack this a little, they removed their CEO who hadn't paid any attention to the EV players eating their lunch (realized how screwed they were), bought the top selling EV on the planet and did a full disassembly analysis of it before proclaiming it a work of art. Then 3 months later they announce that they're moving their entire production methodology over to Gigacasting which has been pioneered by none other than Tesla, that company who's extremely popular and profitable EV they had just recently did an in depth analysis of. This is a timeline of a company coming to the realization that their entire executive has been rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic for the last decade. All they need is for their cold fusion dream of a solid state battery to become more than rhetoric and they definitely won't go bankrupt before 2030.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-tokyo-toyota-battery-idUSKBN1CW27Y

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...ery-evs-2026-built-by-new-ev-unit-2023-06-13/

Notice the dates, they've been making these claims for over 6 years and now citing "possible commercialization" in the 2027-2028 range. This is another example of a legacy titan withering before our eyes, this is what disruption of an industry looks like. Poignantly Toyota claimed in 2017 that their SSB (solid state battery) tech would double ranges and now they're talking about 2027, in the same 10 year window going from the Roaster in 2012 ~244Mi (EPA) to Model S in 2022 ~405Mi (EPA) Tesla actually did this while bringing the cost down substantially and building an industry leading charging network that the rest of the industry is desperate to get access to (Except Toyota as they don't really sell EV's in the US). I went out of my way to steel man the hell out of this point as you could easily have cite a Model 3 extended range (the one that is about to be replaced by one with newer tech and higher energy density batteries) that comes in at more like 150% the range but at less than half the price of the roadster when adjusted for inflation while being better than an already decent EV (for its time) in every quantifiable metric.

Every time I enter a comment section these days I'm reminded of the conversation I had with my mother when she simply couldn't believe a huge old American company like Sears could possibly have gone bankrupt! As far as she was concerned it had always been "such a well managed and profitable business".
Are we really going to get into this again?

Your comments on Tesla and what they are doing with their battery are sheer speculation. Perhaps you should look at this - https://www.engadget.com/tesla-software-update-range-increase-2021-model-3-094041207.html
Or how about this - https://electrek.co/2023/08/15/tesl...ttery-pack-but-with-software-locked-capacity/
I think your argument about Tesla "channeling" their "old battery pack" into the X and S are quite off the mark.

And you are citing an article from 2017 as "proof" that Toyota's solid battery pack is mythological?

Well, everyone is entitled to their missteps.

Are we really going to get into this again?

Your comments on Tesla and what they are doing with their battery are sheer speculation. Perhaps you should look at this - https://www.engadget.com/tesla-software-update-range-increase-2021-model-3-094041207.html
Or how about this - https://electrek.co/2023/08/15/tesl...ttery-pack-but-with-software-locked-capacity/
I think your argument about Tesla "channeling" their "old battery pack" into the X and S are quite off the mark.

And you are citing an article from 2017 as "proof" that Toyota's solid battery pack is mythological?

Well, everyone is entitled to their missteps.
Light hearted ribbing only, my point was that we're all only speculating. Electrek is also speculating as no one has any hands on with the hardware as of yet and as it is only a refresh outfits like Munro and associates won't bother to do a tear down as no one will be interested in the research it produces. The advisors may have been correct in their statements but the EV hacker community will clear this up for all of us in short order and then there are Model S/X long range options for those interested at a shocking discount.

With regard to Toyota they've been promising the same miraculous leap forward for nearly a decade now, they do eventually have to make good on the claims. Better for all of us if its true but I expect CATL or Panasonic or Prologium will get to viable SSB tech long before Toyota as Prologium are already breaking ground on production facilities in France while Panasonic and CATL are just behind them.

I'll see myself out now.

Well, if it's a battery that is by design bigger then it would last longer to operate on what's it's rated for.

The software bs is a thing that will be the future I'm affraid. You don't own that car you think you just bought.

All car brands are doing it.
You will own nothing and be happy - WEF

I get software-locked when it is literally just software, which once already developed adds zero marginal cost to have available on standby for future purchase.

I don't understand how this concept works for expensive physical components, which includes batteries of the type used in these cars, yes? The capacity difference here is 26.5% - 320 vs 405 in the Model S. On what spreadsheet does it make sense to throw away 25% more battery?

Beyond just the cost of the batteries, we are talking about an ingredient that very possibly may be in short supply, eventually resulting in a capacity limit for how many EVs may be produced. It also adds weight to the vehicles, increases the costs and adverse effects of eventual disposal, and increases the danger of collisions.

Even with 25% less battery it's still cheaper to keep one production line than alter the model. It would be more expensive to develop, build and integrate a smaller battery into the design. Also, the larger battery using less of it' capacity will last much longer so will be good for resale values down the line.

Light hearted ribbing only, my point was that we're all only speculating. Electrek is also speculating as no one has any hands on with the hardware as of yet and as it is only a refresh outfits like Munro and associates won't bother to do a tear down as no one will be interested in the research it produces. The advisors may have been correct in their statements but the EV hacker community will clear this up for all of us in short order and then there are Model S/X long range options for those interested at a shocking discount.
Apologies. It was late and I was very tired when I wrote that.

FWIW, I used to work for a big company that purchased its competitors products and tore them apart for analysis. Its commonly done. Personally, I think Tesla should worry about that. If Toyota truly does think the product is a work of art (which I doubt given Japanese culture and the plethora of complaints about Teslas and these Tesla news items
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/01/business/tesla-steering-investigation/index.html )
Hot stuff. I want to own a Tesla - so I can have headaches for the entire time I own one. :rolleyes:
Anything Tesla can do Toyota will do better.

That said, one of the articles you referenced panned Toyota's EV sales because they are in the single-digits percentage wise. The article, however, seemed to fail to pay any attention to the fact that Toyota currently has only one full EV model for sale. One EV model and some talking head is panning Toyota's EV sales because they are only in the single digits percentage wise while other manufacturers have multiple EV only models and the other manufacturers are selling more of them? Wow! That's dire news for Toyota.

And how about the article that reference the problems with the bZX4? Unlike Tesla, which seems to think its customers qualify as beta testers, Toyota stopped bZX4 production to address the issues before it went on sale. No other automobile manufacturer does that. Tesla among many others, OTOH, needs to have their arms twisted by the NHSTA/NTSB in the US to recall vehicles. Toyota is an example of what I call integrity - an integrity that no other automobile manufacturer has or has demonstrated by their actions.
With regard to Toyota they've been promising the same miraculous leap forward for nearly a decade now, they do eventually have to make good on the claims. Better for all of us if its true but I expect CATL or Panasonic or Prologium will get to viable SSB tech long before Toyota as Prologium are already breaking ground on production facilities in France while Panasonic and CATL are just behind them.
Product development takes a long time. With Toyota's recent announcement of when they expect to have it in production, I would not at all be surprised if they do.

That's the thing about Toyota. Although one can arguably claim that they are not perfect, after all, what company is, they tend to keep quiet about their R & D and product development until they have something. IIRC, their public statements about the Mirai were similarly done - and yet the Mirai is available to purchase even though it took probably more than a decade to develop it.

And there are other battery manufacturers out there testing advanced batteries. For instance, this - https://graphenemg.com/energy-storage-solutions/aluminum-ion-battery/

With all the research and product development going on in the battery industry, what does it matter who ends up producing a battery suitable to the task? The point is that an advancement in electric storage technology is one of the steps needed to make EVs a reality.

And one of those articles mentioned the change in Toyota leadership. Personally, I was not happy with the policy on EVs that Toyota publicly announced a couple of years ago, and others were equally disappointed. I highly suspect that that announcement was the reason that Toyota hired a new CEO. Companies that realize their missteps and take action to correct them are the ones that survive.

I worked for a company (the same company I mentioned above) that once employed in excess of 70,000 employees, and they refused to change course. Even if they knew a decision was bad, they stuck with it and refused to reverse it or change course to a better path. As I understood it, it was literally company policy. Now, that company employs something like 1,200 employees and is a distant memory of its former self. IMO, no one and no company can BS their way through a bad decision and expect to survive without taking action to correct the BS and eliminate it.

Back