Tesla's August Autopilot update will begin to enable "full self-driving features"

midian182

Staff member
In context: Tesla’s Autopilot has been under the spotlight recently for all the wrong reasons, but the company has just announced that it will soon improve the system’s autonomous abilities. Elon Musk said that Autopilot version 9 should arrive this August, and with it will come the first “self-driving features.”

In a tweet posted Sunday, the CEO confirmed version 9 and said that previous versions of Autopilot have “rightly focused entirely on safety," but now it appears that the emphasis will be on refining and adding to the self-driving capabilities, which will eventually lead to a fully autonomous system.

Precisely what changes we’ll see in version 9 is still unclear. In his reply to another user, Musk said it would include a fix for situations where two lanes merge in rush hour traffic.

Tesla repeatedly tells drivers to keep their hands on the wheel while Autopilot is engaged—the car warns anyone who doesn’t, disabling the feature and even stopping the vehicle should the alerts be ignored. It’s unlikely that version 9 will make the cars completely autonomous—at least not yet—but it could allow for better self-driving capabilities in certain situations.

2018 hasn’t been the best year for Tesla. A Model X crashed into a highway divider while in Autopilot mode in March, killing driver Walter Huang, and a Model S that also had the feature enabled hit a parked police SUV last month. The company has been dealing with production issues, NHTSA and NTSB investigations, lawsuits, and the (temporary) failure to receive Consumer Reports' recommendation. But at least we know the Model 3 has an amazing battery.

Permalink to story.

If crashing into a parked police SUV and a parked fire truck at high speed is what they call "rightly focused entirely on safety" then I'm not sure if they are ready to move to "full self-driving features" just yet.

It doesn't matter, no "self driving" car will pass a driver test. Each one should be certified and none are.

Too little, too late. Who would not be reluctant to trust this in a Tesla car especially when they have proven to speed up when approaching non-moving objects?
If crashing into a parked police SUV and a parked fire truck at high speed is what they call "rightly focused entirely on safety" then I'm not sure if they are ready to move to "full self-driving features" just yet.
Well, you know they have to say something to spin this in a positive manner for them. Marketing rules dictate such actions.

Here come's more Tesla crashes... things aren't going to get much better until they start using more sensors.

Here come's more Tesla crashes... things aren't going to get much better until they start using more sensors.
More sensors, better software, and stop calling it "Autopilot", which equates it with an aircraft's autopilot feature. Driving a car on the ground requires a lot more vigilance, and can get dangerous much more quickly. Musk made a mistake there, underestimating the power of human stupidity. I will never trust a car enough to let one do the driving. As an auto mechanic for 35+ years, I have seen too many parts fail to ever trust my life to a computer. A computer failure in a normal car results in a no-start situation; in a Tesla it can result in death, if you're stupid enough to let it do the driving. People need to understand this.

In my opinion, operating a vehicle in the real World require a human level of intelligence or higher.
However, as it is well known, programmable devices cannot possess the ability to behave in “Intelligent” manner on a human level or higher, due to the scalability problem, which is unsolvable with the programmable devices. Because of that, SDV of category 5 will not on roads as the mass-produced vehicles till their functionality controlled by a programmable device.

Back