Tesla's Model X SUV earns five-star rating across the board in NHTSA crash testing

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tesla’s Model X has become the first SUV ever to earn a five-star safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in every category and sub-category. The Model X also has the lowest probability of injury of any SUV ever tested according to the NHTSA’s data.

Tesla is also quick to point out that of all the cars the NHTSA has ever tested, the Model X’s overall probability of injury was second only to the Model S (the company’s luxury sedan).

Elon Musk and company credit the Model X’s all-electric architecture and powertrain design versus a gas-powered SUV as the primary reason for its durability in a crash. The rigid, fortified battery pack mounted beneath the floor of the vehicle creates a center of gravity so low that it affords the vehicle the lowest rollover probability of any SUV on the road.

All things considered, Tesla says that in the event of a serious crash, Model X occupants have a 93 percent probability of walking away without a serious injury.

It’s a significant feather in Tesla’s cap and comes at what very well could be the turning point – for better or for worse – in the electric automaker’s history. That’s because Tesla next month is expected to unveil the finalized design of the Model 3, its first vehicle catering to the mainstream masses with a starting price of around $35,000.

Permalink to story.

93% chance of walking away after a crash? I'll take those odds!
Tesla's statement was very, very general and broad to even pay a slight bit of attention to. Take it with a healthy spoon of salt. What they should've said was "depending on your luck & the circumstances, you could have up to a 93%' chance of seeing the sun rise tomorrow".
I have no doubt their cars are about as safe as they possibly can be these days but that statement of theirs should be completely disregarded. It must've been made by a spokesperson who still believes in Santa Claus & the tooth fairy.

Last edited:
93% chance of walking away after a crash? I'll take those odds!
Tesla's statement was very, very general and broad to even pay a slight bit of attention to. Take it with a healthy spoon of salt. What they should've said was "depending on your luck & the circumstances, you could have up to a 93%' chance of seeing the sun rise tomorrow".
I have no doubt their cars are about as safe as they possibly can be these days but that statement of theirs should be completely disregarded. It must've been made by a spokesperson who still believes in Santa Claus & the tooth fairy.
Absolutely. There is no circumventing the laws of physics KE = 1/2*m*v^2, and if you happen to crash while pushing the top end of these EVs, well, luck will have to be a fairy.

Absolutely. There is no circumventing the laws of physics KE = 1/2*m*v^2, and if you happen to crash while pushing the top end of these EVs, well, luck will have to be a fairy.
It's just a cheap marketing ploy knowing that those who don't survive can't sue them. The sad thing is that many people will believe that fairy tale. And they say that the human species is an intelligent species... Sometimes I wonder.

Back