Tesla's third recall of the month affects an additional 320,000 vehicles

Jimmy2x

Staff
In brief: A software glitch has prompted yet another November safety recall for Tesla, this time for the Model 3 and Model Y lines of vehicles. According to the recall, the vehicles may experience intermittently illuminating taillights due to a firmware anomaly. The announcement follows two previous recalls this same month, affecting the electric vehicle maker's Model S and Model X lineups.

The recall report was issued by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) for specific 2023 Model 3 and 2020-2023 Model Y electric vehicles. The report states that affected vehicles may experience randomly illuminating rear taillights on one or both sides of the vehicle, resulting in a potentially increased collision risk.

The random illumination is the result of a firmware anomaly causing false fault detections during the vehicle's startup sequence. Based on the report's defect description, these false detections appear isolated to the vehicle's taillights and do not affect brake lamps, backup lamps, or turn signals.

The recall impacts 321,628 units, all of which were identified using specific manufacturing, configuration, and firmware records. Tesla's firmware versions 2022.28 through 2022.40.4 were identified as the cause of the anomaly. The most recent version, 2022.40.4.1, appears to be unaffected and is excluded from the recall.

While recalls are not uncommon, this latest news marks another ding in an already busy recall month for Tesla. Earlier this month, the NHTSA released recall information for 2017-2021 Tesla Model S and X vehicles to address power steering assist failures that occurred after driving on rough roads or hitting potholes.

The second recall of the month, announced just prior to the firmware issue above, identified front passenger airbag calibration and deployment issues affecting almost 30,000 units. According to the report's description, a restraint control module calibration on certain 2021 to 2023 Model X vehicles may result in the airbag deploying in an unintended and non-compliant configuration during a low-speed collision.

The airbag-related safety recall coincided with a 3% drop in Tesla's share prices, bringing the EV maker's stock value to its lowest point in two years.

Tesla is addressing the issues related to all three recalls using their over-the-air software updates. The hands-off approach allows the recall issues to be resolved far more quickly than typical physical vehicle recalls that require appointment scheduling and hands-on remediation.

Permalink to story.

You know, if he would just do one thing really, really good it would be a testament to his intellect. The fact that he has problems with ALL of his businesses is a testament to his lack of attention to detail and thus, far from the smartest man in business, industry, or anything else .....

I wonder if someday the phrase "recall" will be changed to something else for anything that can be fixed via a downloadable software update. Something like "safety directive".

You know, if he would just do one thing really, really good it would be a testament to his intellect. The fact that he has problems with ALL of his businesses is a testament to his lack of attention to detail and thus, far from the smartest man in business, industry, or anything else .....

He is a billionaire adult with a mind of a two year old.

Such a lovely future of daily patches, all because Elon doesn't want to spend money on a standard second ecu (for environmental controls with hardware switches for interactions)

It's not really a recall if you didn't notice the problems to start with and then they get fixed while you're asleep.

And it's still only the beginning... more computer technologies on cars = more problems you'll get ... software, hardware or pure stupidity of the driver, just look at our PCs ... you can call me a boomer and see if I care... but those techs should be kept as minimal in cars imo...

He's not personally coding this tech. What does he have to directly do with a few bugs in software (besides owning the company)?

He's not personally coding this tech. What does he have to directly do with a few bugs in software (besides owning the company)?
I bet it's his idea to include all car functions in the software though. Hence any problems resulting from that decision are his fault.

Someone asked me how hard the machines are that we work on. I said mechanically, they are easy.
The problem, is the SOFTWARE. Every time they make an update, I tell the rest of the techs unless it
fixes a severe bug, LEAVE it alone for a week. Let someone else be the test mule.

I bet it's his idea to include all car functions in the software though. Hence any problems resulting from that decision are his fault.
I bet that's just another dumb assumption, which is the point of my earlier question...

I bet that's just another dumb assumption, which is the point of my earlier question...
lol then why does he want twitter SWE to submit their codes and commits for him to review?

"
Anyone who actually writes software, please report to the 10th floor at 2pm today.

Before doing so, please email me a bullet point summary of what your code commits have achieved in the past ~6 months, along with up to 10 screenshots of the most salient lines of code.

Thanks,

Elon"

lol then why does he want twitter SWE to submit their codes and commits for him to review?

"
Anyone who actually writes software, please report to the 10th floor at 2pm today.

Before doing so, please email me a bullet point summary of what your code commits have achieved in the past ~6 months, along with up to 10 screenshots of the most salient lines of code.

Thanks,

Elon"

Your point?

Your point?
So according to you Musk is not responsible for anything because he's not responsible for coding yet he's reviewing twitter codes. He's embedding himself into the nitty gitty. So the bucks stops with him. Can't have it both ways, he's a genius that's not responsible for anything and he's a genius that responsible for everything. But you can't make an objective criticism because of the blind personality cult/hero worship.

So according to you Musk is not responsible for anything because he's not responsible for coding yet he's reviewing twitter codes. He's embedding himself into the nitty gitty. So the bucks stops with him. Can't have it both ways, he's a genius that's not responsible for anything and he's a genius that responsible for everything. But you can't make an objective criticism because of the blind personality cult/hero worship.
So, your point was that he was personally committing code to Tesla updates recently to cause this bug? Is that it? Because that's what I called out in this thread?

Because if that's not it, and you're trying to justify your manufactured hate for the guy, then that's just sad...

PS. calling out BS doesn't mean I worship him. However, assuming it does purely on me calling someone out is a pretty weak logical fallacy 😂

So, your point was that he was personally committing code to Tesla updates recently to cause this bug? Is that it? Because that's what I called out in this thread?

Because if that's not it, and you're trying to justify your manufactured hate for the guy, then that's just sad...

PS. calling out BS doesn't mean I worship him. However, assuming it does purely on me calling someone out is a pretty weak logical fallacy 😂
what's sad is you keep on worshipping at his altar LOL

what's sad is you keep on worshipping at his altar LOL
Yeah, that's what I thought, you have no argument. Musk didn't code in the bug above, so what's the point acting like he did?

And if you think that's worship to ask that, then boy you need to step away from the internet for a while...

Otherwise, I'm done arguing against such childish "logic".

Yeah, that's what I thought, you have no argument. Musk didn't code in the bug above, so what's the point acting like he did?

And if you think that's worship to ask that, then boy you need to step away from the internet for a while...

Otherwise, I'm done arguing against such childish "logic".
Look. I feel for you. Getting your panties in a bunch because your hero got exposed is a common feeling.

Serves you right for buying a smartphone on wheels.
Yep such a shame that such minor problems are fixed via software update with 0 effort/planning from an owner’s perspective.

Meanwhile traditional car companies are incentivized to hide the same kind of problems unless they get caught. At that point the vehicle owner has to find out via mail and then call to schedule an appointment to visit the dealership so they can fix it, all of which is costly.

As both an vehicle owner and investor of Tesla, you can tell which solution I prefer more.

Yep such a shame that such minor problems are fixed via software update with 0 effort/planning from an owner’s perspective.

Meanwhile traditional car companies are incentivized to hide the same kind of problems unless they get caught. At that point the vehicle owner has to find out via mail and then call to schedule an appointment to visit the dealership so they can fix it, all of which is costly.

As both an vehicle owner and investor of Tesla, you can tell which solution I prefer more.
You know how many "easily fixed software bugs" my "traditional cars have had"? Zero.
My smartphone on the other hand...

You know how many "easily fixed software bugs" my "traditional cars have had"? Zero.
You have never had a MAF sensor go bad? An O2 sensor? Lucky dude. Those are often fixed by flashing the ECU et al. with an update.

Teslas weren't always like this. A lady on my staff was on her 3rd Model S (14-17-21) when all hell broke loose in a matter of weeks. Rusty screws under the trunk lid, water leaks, sudden and huge loss of power, (many) false warning messages on the info screen, and the battery showed 38% loss in just 16 days. They replaced it, of course, but in the next few months it had lost 15%. (I have a 5-year-old Focus EV that has lost 11% in that 5 years).

She had to take them to court before they settled and gave her money back.
She has had a Mach-E since.

Back