TFT monitor as HDTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as HD quality on TVs are the pale in respect to the video quality of monitors made YEARS ago. HDTV is great but my CRT monitor will runs circles around a 1080P TV
Now for those out there who traded in your CRT monitors for the small ergonomic flatscreen LCD models that are easy to carry and lightweight this is a different thing altogether as a CRT (quality) looks better then a LCD or DLP
Plasma is a different altogether and is probably equal to or better then a CRT

LCD's have come along way in the last few years and have improved a lot but quality still falls way short of a CRT and when comparing I mean not the cheap run of the mill LCD monitors but the expensive ones.

I never make predictions, especially about the future. However, I can show you LCD monitors by Sharp and Samsung that will match a Trinitron in image quality... contrast, DMax, color, resolution... whatever you want. They are expensive but the equal to the best older CRT by Sony Trinitron, Optiquest, ViewSonic and the like. There is no reason not to get one based on quality. The problems: Extremely expensive so far, and they only last four to six years instead of the seven to 12 year life of a good CRT.
The future is clearly in LCD. You can hardly ever find a high quality CRT monitor any more at any price. The LCD monitors are larger in screen size, and becoming larger still. Yet they only take up 8 inches of depth on the desk instead of 30. By next Christmas, you will be able to buy a high quality 30" LCD monitor for $500... maybe sooner I expect you will someday be able to get 36"or 40" LCD monitors relatively cheaply. You will never find a CRT screen that wide due to weight and depth size.
Prepare for the future because it is coming.

Thanks guys, I now have a monitor and it's as good as can be expected, very bright and extremely sharp.

And yes, LCD is the future. I've never been able to see the supposed superiority of CRTs, I really haven't. Maybe I just need to see one of each side by side.

The superiority happens on a technical level with correct color representation, true contrast ratios not the advertised ratios. There is a whole range of things that are technically better on a CRT.

Take an average person though and up the brightness on the screen a whole lot, and make the colors vivid and they think its better. This is probably why people are really happy with their LCDs, and why most people use the 9300K temp on their CRT monitor and not the 6800K temp.

Percieved superiority and technical superiority aren't the same for Televisions for the average person. Pick up a copy of Home Theater magazine where they review televisions for examples.

Edit: Here is an example of the technical ratings used http://hometheatermag.com/lcds/606lcdfo/index6.html

Take a LCD and run it side by side with a Quality CRT not one of your $85 cheapies and the difference is night and day. Do not base the difference on desk top wall paper and spreadsheets. Go full screen with vivid high quality photos and the difference will become painstakingly clear.

LCD's are the wave of the future mainly because the take up less space are lighter and cheaper to build ship and a store can stock more monitors with less shelf space and there is a much higher profit margin. The technology is improving greatly year after year and I would more then love to switch to a LCD as soon as the quality matches or exceeds my CRT.

The cost of a high quality CRT was around $550 last 2 years ago and I have run it up against LCD units around $995 recently and still there is a vast difference in quality. Although they have made a very significant change in response time so that high speed motion on some LCD models no longer freeze or stutter.

I would have purchased a newer monitor this year but High quality CRT are no longer being produced by anyone anymore and only available second hand.

The absolute best CRT is a Mitsubishi diamondtron 21 or 22 inch and even has DVI hook ups

My guess is you haven't seen the top LCD units, if you believe that. We are not talking about $85 cheapies but same price as the top CRT's.
We will just have to agree to disagree. We run those tests all the time, side by side in our shop, for customers.

No offense but do you wear glasses perhaps?
I mean the difference in quality is subjective to the eyesight of the person observing the picture.

I can count the individual pixels that make up a TV picture from 30 feet away in anything less then bluray or HD DVD or a high definition signal.

For someone with less then perfect vision then sure the difference may not be apparent. And yes I have seen the newer expensive models and occasionally purchase one every couple of months to take home and compare side by side and have yet to find one as good as my CRT if so I would not have returned it.

Granted I have not run the CRT side by side with a $1500 or $2000 desk top CRT as that is a little much to pay for a quality I already have in my CRT

Would more then love to upgrade to a wide screen LCD for around $800 but the quality is not in that range and probably will not be for 2-3 years or more.

raybay said:
My guess is you haven't seen the top LCD units, if you believe that. We are not talking about $85 cheapies but same price as the top CRT's.
We will just have to agree to disagree. We run those tests all the time, side by side in our shop, for customers.

If the quality on a LCD is so good then why do YOU use a CRT 21 inch ?? I mean no offense if you truly believed the LCD has a better picture then why did you not upgrade to one? You spent the money for one of the most current video cards so you are evidently a very intense gamer who demands the best in video quality so why did you not replace the bulky CRT?

Can it be that you noticed just as I that the high end video card visual quality goes down greatly when using a LCD Monitor.

Although Console games such as PS3 and X-box 360 look absolutely phenomenal on HD TV's as well as LCD's but then again 1080P is great for a TV but actually one of the lower resolutions of a quality CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back