The BBC is developing its own voice assistant called Beeb

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Beeb won’t be part of a standalone hardware product like Amazon’s Echo but rather, a software solution that works on other platforms like smart TVs and on the BBC’s website. It will likely be voiced by a single person although a decision on who that will be hasn’t yet been made.

Digital voice assistants have become so popular that even public service broadcasters are jumping on the bandwagon.

According to a recent report from The Guardian, the British Broadcasting Corporation – better known as the BBC – is planning to launch its own voice assistant that excels at understanding British accents. The assistant, dubbed Beeb, is being developed in-house and will help users interact with online services and find their favorite programming.

Because it is being built by the BBC, there won’t be an attempt to replicate the many features offered by commercial rivals.

“Beeb” will also be the wake word for the assistant, the publication reports, which is scheduled for launch sometime in 2020.

One in five households in the UK own a smart speaker, according to The Guardian, meaning locals are already accustomed to using personal voice assistants. That’s unsurprising, considering smart speakers are sweeping markets worldwide.

In the second quarter alone, more than 26 million smart speakers shipped globally.

Masthead credit: smart speaker by beeboys

Permalink to story.

I will NEVER put one of those spy devices in my house. I don't care how many cales on em they have or how cheap they get.

And ironically, this isn't a tin foil hat issue - they've already CONFESSED to spying on us.
1) "Spy" is just a term used by the average paranoid person. They have clips for quality assurance (so they know things are working). I hope you don't also have cameras/speakers/mics near you or use social media at any point of the day lol.

2) You (along with the millions of people who would have one) are not important enough to waste the time or money to "spy" on. Plain and simple. Your life just isn't interesting enough to listen in on :p

Be realistic here.

I'm not worried about spyware....

I built my own voice assisted speaker

You've heard of Alexa, and now I have ALEX!!!

It contains the insane rantings of Alex Jones and it screams at me whenever I ask it anything

It never answers the questions I ask it, but goes off on an unrelated tangent of insults

The best voice assistant is useless and this one seems like it's the worst of the bunch. What a silly name as well.

I will NEVER put one of those spy devices in my house. I don't care how many cales on em they have or how cheap they get.

And ironically, this isn't a tin foil hat issue - they've already CONFESSED to spying on us.

I believe the only people who have this obsession about being spyed on are people who have something to hide.

I have multiple smart speakers, and if they want to spy on me they can. All they will hear is me arguing with the Mrs, shouting at the kids, discussing on what we're going to have for dinner and having a deep conversation about what to watch on netflix.

Im sure if they were spying on me, they would be bored within 10 seconds and never bother again.

Last edited:
I believe the only people who have this obsession about being spyed on are people who have something to hide.

I have multiple smart speakers, and if they want to spy on me they can. All they will hear is me arguing with the Mrs, shouting at the kids, discussing on what we're going to have for dinner and having a deep conversation about what to watch on netflix.

Im sure if they were spying on me, they would be bored within 10 seconds and never bother again.

I have LOTS to hide.

I'm also not stupid enough to let them KGB my house.

1) "Spy" is just a term used by the average paranoid person. They have clips for quality assurance (so they know things are working). I hope you don't also have cameras/speakers/mics near you or use social media at any point of the day lol.

2) You (along with the millions of people who would have one) are not important enough to waste the time or money to "spy" on. Plain and simple. Your life just isn't interesting enough to listen in on :p

Be realistic here.

Yeah, like, duh, it's like current year, bro. Just let megacorps listen and catalog everything you say.

The best voice assistant is useless and this one seems like it's the worst of the bunch. What a silly name as well.
Well, BBC has been called the Beeb for many years so it's a good name. I can't comment on how useful or useless it will be. It will, however, be entertaining to see if it can handle Scottish accents.

I'm not worried about spyware....

I built my own voice assisted speaker

You've heard of Alexa, and now I have ALEX!!!

It contains the insane rantings of Alex Jones and it screams at me whenever I ask it anything

It never answers the questions I ask it, but goes off on an unrelated tangent of insults
I've got one of those. It's called a wife.

Its shocking how spot on Orwell was but not as shocking as all the muppets lapping this stuff up. bring in a Chinese style social credit system and we will be complete. goodbye freedom.

Back