The Best Headphones

Julio Franco

Staff member
This list isn't particularly great. It concentrates on best price-to-performance ratio's than actually "the best xxx headphones".

The Logitech Gaming Headset for example, is definitely not the best headphones for gaming, Steelseries, Sennheiser and Audio Technica to name a few, do better gaming headsets but they're more expensive.

For In-Ears, Something like Shure SE846's are way better than the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear M2 G/I's. But again are way more expensive.

Was this list just an advert for popular brands? Or more a value orientated selection rather than "The Best"?

Having the Logitech G930s I've had continued disconnect problems with them. Not sure I'd buy another set from Logitech and I'm a bit of a Logi fan boy. Although in ear I still love my Ultimate Ear Super.Fi 5 Pro. Not heard anything that comes close to these double driver units.

I still love my Ultimate Ear Super.Fi 5 Pro. Not heard anything that comes close to these double driver units.
Those are the exact units I have! Agreed as well, I'm still yet to hear In-Ears as good without having to pay well over double the price.

It's a highly subjective topic and although I don't consider myself an audiophile (personally I think audiophiles are as much a fantasy as 'mobile device power users') and I can only speak for myself regarding the Sennheiser Momentum in ear. I have a pair of them as well as a much cheaper pair of Sennheiser CX 3.00. I use both with my HTC 10's amp & DAC which is among the best right now and to me, the CX 3.00 suits my taste much better, they have a flat response curve and clear high's, mid's and low's which I personally like. The Momentum's are much more user friendly and convenient with in-line controls and straight 3.5 mm jack, the CX 3.00 has none of that, but the Momentum's are too bassy & boomy for my taste and I'm not a fan of bassy, boomy music so they tend to overpower the high's and mid's and and I tend to forsake them. The CX 3.00 does have it's drawbacks though, like that right angled 3.5 mm jack which I find to be more of a nuisance than a feature but in general they're ideal for me. As I said at the start, it's all about personal taste.

Last edited:
Having the Logitech G930s I've had continued disconnect problems with them. Not sure I'd buy another set from Logitech and I'm a bit of a Logi fan boy. Although in ear I still love my Ultimate Ear Super.Fi 5 Pro. Not heard anything that comes close to these double driver units.
I had the 930s and had the same issue. , I got the 633 which is the same as 933 but wired. It is much better and a pal bought the 933 and has had no disconnect problems. It might be worth the upgrade for you.

Good article. I still use a pair of old Sennheiser RS 120's for TV/Movies and the Asus Cerberus gaming headset on my main pc that I got for free with a graphics card. I also have some Sennheiser hd 218's for use with my phone.

What's a good over-ear headphone for max 50 us dolars? I want to use during my outside walks. HD 202 II seems good but some people don't recommend it. My mi5 phone doesn't provide high volume with my current loe-grade philips headphones, I'd appreciate headphones with good overall sound quality, acceptable bass and high volume

If you're going to recommend the senn hd-650 you should tell people that this is not a portable set of cans IE: you're phone will not drive these--- these are 300 ohm cans and they need a lot of juice.
where these cans shine is with a really good amp and dac combo to kick back at home and relax with the music.
im no audiophile but between these cans and a good amp (schiit lyr w/ good nos tubes )and dac (schiit bifrost )
my bill was around 1500.00 ------yeah I know,most of you are going WTF!!! but,this is now my main stereo rig and I dare you to put together an equal or better home unit for less.

It's a highly subjective topic and although I don't consider myself an audiophile (personally I think audiophiles are as much a fantasy as 'mobile device power users') and I can only speak for myself regarding the Sennheiser Momentum in ear. I have a pair of them as well as a much cheaper pair of Sennheiser CX 3.00. I use both with my HTC 10's amp & DAC which is among the best right now and to me, the CX 3.00 suits my taste much better, they have a flat response curve and clear high's, mid's and low's which I personally like. The Momentum's are much more user friendly and convenient with in-line controls and straight 3.5 mm jack, the CX 3.00 has none of that, but the Momentum's are too bassy & boomy for my taste and I'm not a fan of bassy, boomy music so they tend to overpower the high's and mid's and and I tend to forsake them. The CX 3.00 does have it's drawbacks though, like that right angled 3.5 mm jack which I find to be more of a nuisance than a feature but in general they're ideal for me. As I said at the start, it's all about personal taste.

Hope you don't take this wrong, but you sound like an audiophile even if you don't believe there is such a thing.

I had the 930s and had the same issue. , I got the 633 which is the same as 933 but wired. It is much better and a pal bought the 933 and has had no disconnect problems. It might be worth the upgrade for you.
Thanks for that, good to know. Although I'd be wanting to sell the 930s to fund the upgrade, and who would by them? That's my problem now. Will keep an eye on the 933s prices, thanks :)

Back