The Best Strategy Games on PC

No 1: StarCraft II ... only gets an honorable mention, whaaaat!

In my opinion Company of Heroes is good but SC2 is worlds better, anyway just my 2c.

It's a good list, I still think Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance deserved a bit of a mention though, that game I've sunk hundreds of hours into!

Agree with Company of Heroes though, It is an absolute classic.

I'd take divinity original sin any day over Xcom 2. At least with one I know that when it says 100% chance to hit it means it. It's utterly embarrassing that xcom has had such a broken hit chance generator for so long. You know that moment when you have 3 shotgunners point blank and they face away from the enemy and shoot, something is wrong. It was only funny the first time in the first game. It just pisses people off at this point. Crap optimization don't help either.

Where's my Dune 2000? :D

I miss Dune 2000, never managed to get hold of its sequel. Red Alert 2 was one of them best out of CnC series. Supreme Commander may be grand and all in terms of size and units but the pace is so slow that they resorted to 24 hour time lapse to showcase the game in the trailers.

The best RTS downright for me has been Populous: the Beginning; there is nothing like fire-balling dozens of advancing tribesmen off a land-bridge and turning the tides of battle.

The list seems a bit new game heavy to me, while newer games should always be better they often aren't. Look at Starcraft for example, this game has 3 times the content that the second game has, yet Starcraft is nowhere to be seen here. It's wonky man, just wonky.

I'd also have following in the main list:
Rise of Nations
HOMMIII
Warcraft 3
Red Alert 2
Starcraft

I knew it would be a subjective list, but I'm surprised to not see a single listing for any Westwoods game. I'm actually curious and may do a survey over which one people liked the most. Tiberian Sun was my favorite, but before EA completely dissolved Westwoods, they were all great including the Dune series.

No Master of Orion 2? Or how about Dune 2? Alright, I'm old... but fancy graphics doesn't always make for a good game. Those classics were great.

The original Starcraft will always hold a special place in my heart, I still can't think of any single game I played more than SC. The sequel was good but it just never felt the same, it became far too competitive too fast and because of that I can't get into it, it may have a huge community but it will never be the same as those days of dial up Battle.net with clans and bots and all the crazy custom use map settings games that seemed to never end, sadly it did.

The only current game on the list I can say I have truly enjoyed playing is Civ 5, but that in itself is a whole lot different from the Starcraft formula, mainly because it's turned based and not real time. I am glad AoE made the list at least, another great RTS game I played a whole lot of in high school. Company of Heros is also a good title on the list, but one I never found myself wanting to go back to, I have the box for it somewhere with the discs, but am not about to go looking for it.

Lastly, what the Gif for Crusader Kings II? Do I even want to know what that has to do with the game?

"A titan in the field, it stands as not just the best Civilizationgame"

Yeah, no. Civ IV had more depth and complexity. Civ V isn't a bad game per say, there's just far less sensible choices to make.

No mentiton of Blizzard titles really does make me wonder if this is a serious list.

Seriously!!!! How can you not mention TA or Supreme Commander. My father in law and I still play supreme commander through FA forever to this day. Hard to believe you failed to mention either of them.

Total Annihilation not being on the list, let alone an honorable mention is a travesty. If you want a modern successor then Supreme Commander (and/or Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance). So sad.
I love those games. Even ashes is similar. Perhaps they aren't included because they rely more on massing and attacking.

I love those games. Even ashes is similar. Perhaps they aren't included because they rely more on massing and attacking.
At the endgame sure, it often ends up being swarm battles if players leave each other alone for too long, but generally there's a lot of strategy in intelligence gathering, resource disruption, and area denial. All of which is even harder considering the scale of some maps.

I really need to get Ashes or start playing FA again ha ha ha...

I might get Shogun 2 because of this list, I never gave it a chance to be honest. I'm very shocked you omitted SupCom FA from this though. It is easily the best RTS I've played.

I Played TA since the first Demo in good ole 97' and still playing or more Spectating to this day via SpringRTS until the Day I die.

The Box on my Wall states:- Total Annihaltion will quite simply, erase Red Elert from your memory.

Yes it is so good I put it on the wall :)

Amen.

Back