"The drive cannot find the sector requested" - External hard disc is not working

My 1TB Western Digital External hard disc is not working. My laptop switched off suddenly while copying files. After restarted my laptop, when I try to open my External hard disc drive(G: \) I'm getting the message as

"Location is not available

G:\ is not accessible
The drive cannot find the sector requested"

The Properties of the drive shows as
Type: Local Disk
File system:
Used space : 0 bytes
Free space : 0 bytes

when clicking My computer->Manage->Disk Management(under Storage in left side), I can able to see my External hard disc drive(G: \). The File System shows as "RAW" before it was NTFS, % Free as 100% but I got around 1TB data. Also I checked in different laptops but it shows the same error.

And finally I checked with "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows", it passed the test.

I'm so afraid about my datas stored in the hard disc. All my projects, photos and many important files stored in that hard disc. I dont know what the problem is. I cant find any solutions in Internet. Please help me to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Hey Allen. I would call Western Digital support and see what they say.Since you have data on it you need, I wouldn't play around with it, get some answers from the drive makers, and as is always said, have important data backed up in at least 2 different places, with at least one being to CD/DVD.

Ya.. I called Western Digital support. they said that they cant help anything to recover datas. they asked me to contact some local data recovery companies. but they can replace the hardware. but I dont need that hard disc, I need only datas, that are more important than HD. the local data recovery companies telling that they can recover some files but not all the files at the cost of 10000SEK.

Do u know how to recover the datas..?

Something might be mechanically wrong with the drive, or some basic Windows files might have gotten corrupted. One thing you could try (if your system has a system restore option) is to do a non destructive reinstall of your OS. Many recovery procedures give you the option to do either a non destructive reinstall which will only restore the Windows files (leaving your data intact), or a full format before reinstalling Windows, which is what you DON'T want as it will erase everything. Look in your pc documentation or call your pc maker to see if your system has such a procedure to restore your OS, and weather there is an option to restore Windows without formatting the drive so as to save your data. If something is physically wrong with the drive, your only hope is to spend big bucks to see if a data recovery company can save your data. Hope things work out for you.

Back