The GPU Market Finally Gives In, Nvidia Prices Drop

It will be interesting to see how the market responds to the about-to-launch GPUs. They seem unexciting to me, but I’m not their target. Low sales on the bread-and-butter cards may hurt the bottom line more than the high end.

4 months from now you will get 4080 for 900euros and probably will go lower ,the market is declining and the reason is that either the technology is too early in the market or that people have more important things to cover than buying a Gpu without real world usage,nobody has the need for overpowered GPUs with no games to use it and not everybody is 4K gamer ,not even the competitive playets need it with 1080p ,a 2080 is sufficient to run mw2 in low settings in very good pace ,so why spend 1000 euros or more for the illusion DLSS or the ultra gfx setting that is a joke the most part ,so unless you are the type that buys future with no money object than you can wait for at least 12 months minimum,thinking that Al ready skipped 30xx series why hurry now and even if you didn't and got one ,you Surely can wait !Let them eat their profits from scalping with mining !!

If you're playing at anything above 1080p, the 3060 is the best out of all the mid-range options. It has the best VRAM and memory bandwidth selection. Yest the 4060 ti has the 16 GB version but it's at a 128 bit bus which is further gimped if you have an older PCIE 3.0 build, which if you're looking at mid-range maybe you do. You can play older games at 1440p and higher resolutions just fine but need the VRAM, especially modded games that get texture packs, but you need the bandwidth.

But as the article states the 3060 12 GB at $340 is a bit of a hard sell even if the 4060 8 GB is gimped at $300. It's already a 2+ year old GPU and a new gen would be out. So what I might do is see if the 3060 dips below $300, ideally it will shade closer to the 6600 at $200, which btw has those same bandwidth issues that people have been attacking Nvidia for and recommending the 6600 series over (which makes no sense and is pure fanboyism, but whatever).

I suspect when nothing moves for another 6 months Nvidia will further capitulate and release a refresh with actual full board counts and bandwidth at the historical pricing brackets. Inflation may bump up some 10% or so from the 10 series era but it wouldn't be more than that. This is called price discovery and is how free markets work. This assumes the crypto bubble artificially inflated the market and the old market was the real one, but we'll see, it's also possible it's permanently increased across the board and grew much larger.

Since console sales are at record highs I strongly suspect the GPU market and the PC gaming market in general has had the volume drop out of it. Maybe these companies turn it into a luxury designer brand, but in that case mid-range makes no sense either. There would be maybe a halo RTX product and then a different brand name to sell the volume GTX that way.

Well, both companies threw gamers out the window during the mining craze and all complains were met with "supply and demand, it`s that simple, you *****", even though they choked supply as much as they could to create even more demand, thus incentivizing scalpers and drove prices to the roof, but boy, oh boy, the tides are turning. Mining is officially dead. Most gamers don`t give a fck about their latest offerings and won`t buy their overpriced cards. More so, their image as predatory and despicable enterprises weights in, because a tarnished reputation makes people reluctant to spend money. I`m not saying gamers collectively, but most that use their brains will be picky as hell and only buying at substantial price cuts. So, what can I say, Nvidia and AMD? It`s not just supply and demand, you morons, ethics is a core value for any business! That is if you want customer loyalty and long-term sustainability.

So, what can I say, Nvidia and AMD? It`s not just supply and demand, you morons, ethics is a core value for any business! That is if you want customer loyalty and long-term sustainability.
the core value of any business is to make money for their share holders. They have a legal obligation to make money for their shareholders or they can be fined. We are no longer customers, we are "consumers"

Do not forget any of this.

I would like to point out that while nVidia does have documented freight shipments selling directly to miners, AMD does not. Not saying it didn't happen, just that there isn't any evidence that it did. I also think AMD saw that mining craze as an opportunity to build marketshare with marketshare being more valuable than just sales.

Some new cards dropped a few dollars and the old ones more than a few and "The GPU Market Finally Gives In". Not there yet mate.

The first sign was the "games bundle" and now this but we are still a long way from end of the line. I'm sure the discounts came from AIB partners and not GPU vendors for now. Nvidia will not take pressure from anybody for now since they ride on big horses with the AI market. AMD on the other hand will listen to AIB's and customers, they already dropped prices twice for old and new stuff.

Intel is bundling GPU's with CPU's these days = https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-unveils-cpu-and-gpu-bundles

This is getting interesting as each day passes and since I got the upgrade/s I wanted (not needed) some years will pass until I will reconsider getting a newer GPU than the 3070 I'm using now.

If you're playing at anything above 1080p, the 3060 is the best out of all the mid-range options. It has the best VRAM and memory bandwidth selection. Yest the 4060 ti has the 16 GB version but it's at a 128 bit bus which is further gimped if you have an older PCIE 3.0 build, which if you're looking at mid-range maybe you do. You can play older games at 1440p and higher resolutions just fine but need the VRAM, especially modded games that get texture packs, but you need the bandwidth.

But as the article states the 3060 12 GB at $340 is a bit of a hard sell even if the 4060 8 GB is gimped at $300. It's already a 2+ year old GPU and a new gen would be out. So what I might do is see if the 3060 dips below $300, ideally it will shade closer to the 6600 at $200, which btw has those same bandwidth issues that people have been attacking Nvidia for and recommending the 6600 series over (which makes no sense and is pure fanboyism, but whatever).

I suspect when nothing moves for another 6 months Nvidia will further capitulate and release a refresh with actual full board counts and bandwidth at the historical pricing brackets. Inflation may bump up some 10% or so from the 10 series era but it wouldn't be more than that. This is called price discovery and is how free markets work. This assumes the crypto bubble artificially inflated the market and the old market was the real one, but we'll see, it's also possible it's permanently increased across the board and grew much larger.

Since console sales are at record highs I strongly suspect the GPU market and the PC gaming market in general has had the volume drop out of it. Maybe these companies turn it into a luxury designer brand, but in that case mid-range makes no sense either. There would be maybe a halo RTX product and then a different brand name to sell the volume GTX that way.
"If you're playing at anything above 1080p, the 3060 is the best out of all the mid-range options." that's valid only for short while, because if you look at the trend which will grow exponentially, the 8GB VRAM will become absolute minimum soon enough. There are a couple of reason for this: the current generation of consoles(exclusing Series S) have 16GB (total) RAM, which mean around 12GB for video. The publishers and share-holders dont want to pay for optimization but only to make quick buck. And there's also another capitalism effect - the GPU manufacturers push as much as possible toward the maximum planned obsolescence, to force us to buy the next one as quickly as possible.
So the 3060 with its 8GB VRAM is bound to fail in a year or two.

As I live in Brazil, GPU prices are even crazier than the ones in USA or Europe. I currently use an GFX 1050 Ti and I am thinking about replacing it. What GPU would you guys suggest as the best upgrade?

the core value of any business is to make money for their share holders. They have a legal obligation to make money for their shareholders or they can be fined. We are no longer customers, we are "consumers"

Do not forget any of this.

I would like to point out that while nVidia does have documented freight shipments selling directly to miners, AMD does not. Not saying it didn't happen, just that there isn't any evidence that it did. I also think AMD saw that mining craze as an opportunity to build marketshare with marketshare being more valuable than just sales.
Well, if they disconsidered any ethics, just profits for shareholders, how is it when they lose money because of that. Ethics is a part of any sustainable business. I didn't say this is more important than profits, but rather is a prerequisite for making profits in the long run. Case in point, everybody more or less hates Nvidia for their practices and AMD for playing along, so, they will be less tempted to spend money with ease. How is that helping for shareholders?

As I live in Brazil, GPU prices are even crazier than the ones in USA or Europe. I currently use an GFX 1050 Ti and I am thinking about replacing it. What GPU would you guys suggest as the best upgrade?
Depends on your budget and needs. ( resolution of display, vram application requirements). I would say the 6600XT which currently sells as low as $250 ( performance similar to a 1080ti from that generation) naturally the 7500 xt and rtx 4050 might have similar performance but hopefully lower price point. Either way I would wait for that tiere to drop to get the best potential price drop in the near term.

It is all about the shareholders as some mention earlier, but they are and will take their money by AI ,so Gamers are probably in luck if there are more players in the game as intel right now , prices will drop more just because it won't matter financially any more, it would just be extra cash to feed AI progression,ask it !?:)It is Already stated by both leadership teams also gaming development is on stagnation and too slow to follow new formats . So what's the rush to play old games with new graphics technologies!
Just saying !

"If you're playing at anything above 1080p, the 3060 is the best out of all the mid-range options." that's valid only for short while, because if you look at the trend which will grow exponentially, the 8GB VRAM will become absolute minimum soon enough. There are a couple of reason for this: the current generation of consoles(exclusing Series S) have 16GB (total) RAM, which mean around 12GB for video. The publishers and share-holders dont want to pay for optimization but only to make quick buck. And there's also another capitalism effect - the GPU manufacturers push as much as possible toward the maximum planned obsolescence, to force us to buy the next one as quickly as possible.
So the 3060 with its 8GB VRAM is bound to fail in a year or two.

3060 is 12 GB, the 3060 ti is 8 GB, that's why it's so dumb. The 3070 actually also had 8 GB I believe. So yeah it's Nvidia playing dumb games, although AMD's 6600 series also only has 8 GB. So keeping in mind all of these options, even the 4060 ti with 16 GB, the low bandwidth there is problematic and it's way too expensive for mid-range. But between the 4070 12 GB and 3060 12 GB, the 4070 is faster but the memory bandwidth is roughly the same. So if 3060 is way cheaper then it could work as a stop gap for a couple of years, but that depends on price. I'm thinking around $200-275 maybe. It's unfortunate there is no 12 or 16 gb 4060 with ~400 gb/s bandwidth but that's on purpose. Anything below around 300 GB/s is going to struggle at anything other than 1080p.

3060 is 12 GB, the 3060 ti is 8 GB, that's why it's so dumb. The 3070 actually also had 8 GB I believe. So yeah it's Nvidia playing dumb games, although AMD's 6600 series also only has 8 GB. So keeping in mind all of these options, even the 4060 ti with 16 GB, the low bandwidth there is problematic and it's way too expensive for mid-range. But between the 4070 12 GB and 3060 12 GB, the 4070 is faster but the memory bandwidth is roughly the same. So if 3060 is way cheaper then it could work as a stop gap for a couple of years, but that depends on price. I'm thinking around $200-275 maybe. It's unfortunate there is no 12 or 16 gb 4060 with ~400 gb/s bandwidth but that's on purpose. Anything below around 300 GB/s is going to struggle at anything other than 1080p.
It's crazy that the 3060 tiere cards performance is similar to the 2017 flagship 1080ti but that card came with 11 gigs of vram. The problem with upgrading to an 8 gig vram card is that you probably have to upgrade twice or 3 times as fast as one is used to due to higher vram requirements with current games. We aren't even seeing unreal engine 5 games yet.

3060 is 12 GB, the 3060 ti is 8 GB, that's why it's so dumb. The 3070 actually also had 8 GB I believe. So yeah it's Nvidia playing dumb games
That is not dumb. Is Apple dumb for putting less than it is usable storage in their entry level devices?
It literally pushes people "willfully" to buy overpriced devices.
Nvidia just learned a useful trick and now is using it. RTX 3070 with 8gb is just a reminder to buyers; "we have a much better card at just a slightly higher price..."

Boy I'm glad I'm "not into" gaming any more. I mean I started out with space invaders in the arcades,
original doom, wolfenstein, and the like. There isn't any way I'd spend what Nvidia and the like want for
a video card.

That is not dumb. Is Apple dumb for putting less than it is usable storage in their entry level devices?
It literally pushes people "willfully" to buy overpriced devices.
Nvidia just learned a useful trick and now is using it. RTX 3070 with 8gb is just a reminder to buyers; "we have a much better card at just a slightly higher price..."
They didn't just learn this trick. They were stagnating vram for years around the 8 gig vram and especially the 12 gig vram cards. Apple has a lot of competition in their space while Nvidia only has AMD. Apple consumers willing buy overpriced products Nvidia consumers often have no choice due to the lack of competition in that space. This was their multi generational strategy for years to force gamers on premature mid upgrade cycles. Let's observe all those 8 gig vram cards that came before that are going to be forced to upgrade to more vram cards because of the higher vram requirements that doesn't scale linearly in terms of visual assets and vram requirements like they use to. Now all texture assets are lazily brute forced instead of clever linear optimization like a variable or slightly lower quality texture assets aka mips ( mipmaps) . Nvidia knows exactly what they are doing. They benefit the most from brute forced computing especially in the PC gaming space.

Better pricing, but still not good. I'll just keep skipping these expensive generations until I "need" to buy. I can wait. My card is 3 years old and while it would be nice to get a new one, it's still good enough for me.

If you don't do 3D, and don't care much about raytracing, I would go for an AMD with a lot of VRAM. 6800, 6700, something like this.

If you need 3D / cuda, or raytracing, probably rtx 2080 or higher (3000 series better). It should be ok for some years, but I wouldn't go for the lowest line of any series.

This is not enough.
Products are bad and prices are worse.

Unless they *really* drop the prices, and / or you need to upgrade, these cards don't seem to be worth it.

Unless they pack the 4070 with 16GB and good bandwidth, this is not very charming.

I can't be bothered to upgrade my 2080ti because most AAA games suck & crazy electric bill (special thanks to the USA & Norway for blowing up the pipe).

Well definitely move to Russia, electricity is cheaper there and the internet is so much better and I'll bet you'll get Stalker 2 for a great price in Roubles.

Back