The impact of China's social credit system is already being felt

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A hot potato: Critics of the controversial social system argue that it doesn’t take personal circumstances into account, thus unfairly labeling some as untrustworthy. Others view it as a violation of basic human rights. Proponents see it as a way to keep citizens in line, encouraging good behavior while punishing troublemakers.

China’s attempt to strong-arm its inhabitants into behaving as model citizens is already having an impact, for better or for worse.

According to the National Public Credit Information Centre’s 2018 annual report (via South China Morning Post), approximately 17.46 million people were prohibited from buying plane tickets while 5.47 million were met with road blocks when trying to purchase high-speed train tickets last year. Others were banned from buying premium insurance, real estate and wealth management products as a result of their “untrustworthy conduct.”

More than 3.59 million Chinese businesses were also dinged for shady behavior, preventing them from accessing security markets, participating in land auctions, bidding on projects and more.

On the flip side, pressure from the social credit system encouraged 3.51 million individuals to repay debts or pay off taxes and fines last year.

Authorities behind the credit system collected more than 14.21 million pieces of information on individuals and businesses, ranging from failing to repay loans and taking reserved seats on trains to acting out in hospitals and misleading consumers with false advertising.

Lead image courtesy TotallyMJ via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Not gonna lie, I've been saying for years we need something like this here in the US, but only for drivers. I'd love to be able to label bad drivers and have other people's cars popup warnings they're around a bad driver.

"Proponents see it as a way to keep citizens in line, encouraging good behavior while punishing troublemakers"

Yes, totalitarian systems are very good at enforcing certain behaviors, much like holding a gun to somebody's head can readily convince them to do many things they would not normally do, like dig their own graves or commit heinous crimes. Doesnt make this method of enforcement good, just effective.

Those "proponents" of the Chinese system would be singing a very different tune if they were affected by the system in a negative way, or at all.

Last edited:
"Proponents see it as a way to keep citizens in line, encouraging good behavior while punishing troublemakers"

Yes, totalitarian systems are very good at enforcing certain behaviors, much like holding a gun to somebody's head can readily convince them to do many things they would not normally do, like dig their own graves or commit heinous crimes. Doesnt make this method of enforcement good, just effective.

Those "proponents" of the Chinese system would be singing a very different tune if they were affected by the system in a negative way, or at all.

No one in their right mind will willingly be part of a system which dehumanizes you and ignores all your personal circumstances.
This system will lead to further divide as once people get poor and are unable to pay fines/fees etc they are locked into an perpetual cycle of poverty as all opportunities are taken away from them.

There is no reason why this won't happen in the united states sometime down the road. The Chinese are paving a path and many other countries will follow. They'll convince us in that it's in the name of security when they do it to us here.

There is no reason why this won't happen in the united states sometime down the road. The Chinese are paving a path and many other countries will follow. They'll convince us in that it's in the name of security when they do it to us here.
Nope. Wrong country.

In the US we are taught throughout the entirety of our schooling that the individual is the most important. It’s not direct or overt, it’s merely the tone of all the historical stories we are taught. While liberty is emphasized as a founding principle of the country, its really applied to the individual and there’s little chance that the above type of groupthink will overcome our preferred brainwashing method.

Nope. Wrong country.

In the US we are taught throughout the entirety of our schooling that the individual is the most important. It’s not direct or overt, it’s merely the tone of all the historical stories we are taught. While liberty is emphasized as a founding principle of the country, its really applied to the individual and there’s little chance that the above type of groupthink will overcome our preferred brainwashing method.
I am not so sure that this does not already exist in the US. Apply for employment anywhere in the US ATM, and it is highly likely that people will search the internet for any information about you meaning any social profile anywhere fakebook, tweeter, stinked in, my space, you name it, and if anything is found, the potential applicant better hope there is nothing damning out there.

The one in China sounds like it is formally sanctioned by the government. Though in the US there is not one formal site, there is certainly an informal analog of this. Only people who have chosen to remain anonymous are likely to avoid the potential consequences.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There will be Civil War before this occurs. They cannot undo the Constitution of the United States, without destroying the United States. I am sure that you are correct that there will be attempts, but I doubt that 'certain' individuals are that willing to press the determination of a free people, with lots of Weapons :) Thank God for the Second Amendment right?

But who will be the judge? The police? Sounds like anyone with enough authority can give you bad credits and take away a large portion of your freedom.

I think this idea isn't bad. I mean if you have reserved tickets on any transport you must use them or cancel your reservation. Same situation with acting out in hospitals and misleading consumers with false advertising, this is simple rules for a decent person

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There will be Civil War before this occurs. They cannot undo the Constitution of the United States, without destroying the United States. I am sure that you are correct that there will be attempts, but I doubt that 'certain' individuals are that willing to press the determination of a free people, with lots of Weapons :) Thank God for the Second Amendment right?
I get what you are saying, however, IMO, anyone thinking that this is possible better hope that their side is the side on which the government rests. Those second amendment rights are pea shooters, sticks, stones, slings, and bows and arrows, etc., in comparison to the government arsenal.

Don't you know the "deep state" in the USA would LOVE THIS!
Both democrats & republicans WOULD LOVE to have this! It would turn the USA into a dictatorship faster than either party could do it!

No one in their right mind will willingly be part of a system which dehumanizes you and ignores all your personal circumstances.
This system will lead to further divide as once people get poor and are unable to pay fines/fees etc they are locked into an perpetual cycle of poverty as all opportunities are taken away from them.
Then they can start using an 'invention' from the English: the Workhouse.

I think this idea isn't bad. I mean if you have reserved tickets on any transport you must use them or cancel your reservation. Same situation with acting out in hospitals and misleading consumers with false advertising, this is simple rules for a decent person

Who enforces those rules on the enforcer? Totalitarian systems usually work ok for the system, but they tend to suck for subjects.

China seems to be preparing for a "lockdown" of their subjects. With the "permanent" president now, and stuff like this I have to wonder if they are trying to plan for the eventual cooling off of the economy and the potential of future protests for freedom/right/etc. It almost seems like their designing systems specifically to squash that potential future "protest" before it ever even happens.

Back