The Last of Us Part I sales skyrocket as PC launch draws near

AlphaX

Staff
Something to look forward to: Initially launched on the PlayStation 3 in 2013, The Last of Us has been a wildly successful franchise. Its popularity spawned a PS4 remaster in 2014, a sequel in 2020, and a remake for current-gen hardware in 2022. The games were initially limited to PlayStation consoles only. However, Naughty Dog announced the series would make its way to PC, with a release slated for March.

The Last of Us Part I, announced and released in 2022, was a remake of the original 2013 game. Developer Naughty Dog wanted to re-release the game to bring it up to par with The Last of Us Part II. The remake features higher-quality graphics and animations compared to its previous counterpart and support for Dualsense exclusive features such as adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.

The studio also revealed a first for The Last of Us franchise: a PC port. Initially, the PC version didn't have a release date, but Naughty Dog later confirmed it would arrive on March 3, 2023. Although the game and story are now 10 years old, it was nice to see that PlayStation Studios didn't waste time bringing the high-fidelity remake to PC gamers.

Due to the massive success of the original, rumors began swirling way back in 2014 regarding potential movie adaptions of the video game. None of these panned out until 2020 when HBO announced a partnership with Naughty Dog to adapt The Last of Us into a TV series. Initially set to air in December 2020, the covid outbreak delayed production, pushing the release to 2023.

After nearly three years of delays, teasers, and trailers, the TV series finally aired on January 15, 2023. The first episode received warm praise from viewers, who greatly appreciated the show staying close to the source material, which is rare for video game adaptations. Industry experts expect the series to be renewed for a second and third season to cover the longer sequel, The Last of Us Part 2.

Due to the extensive hype and overall success of the HBO series, sales for both The Last of Us Part I and the PS4 remaster have jumped tremendously. GamesIndustry reports that The Last of Us Part I saw an increase in sales of 238 percent week-on-week, while the remaster's sales rose by 322 percent.

This recent spike for the game's PS4 and PS5 versions could be an excellent sign for the franchise's launch on PC, as the show has increased interest in the series heavily. The port's release also nearly coincides with the show's season finale. If this was intentional, perhaps a PC port of The Last of Us Part II could arrive alongside a second season.

The Last of Us Part I officially launches on PC on March 3, 2023, on Steam and the Epic Games Store.

Permalink to story.

Oh I love TLOU. I bought the PS3 because of it, then the PS4 because of the remaster, then the PS5 because of TLOU2.

Yeah, obviously I play other games too, but it's always TLOU that tips me over. Both games are so great. First one is 10/10 without hesitation, 2nd one is prolly 9/10 for me.

As for the show, I only saw the 1st episode yet, but so far so good. Let's hope the whole series turns out well.

Oh I love TLOU. I bought the PS3 because of it, then the PS4 because of the remaster, then the PS5 because of TLOU2.

Yeah, obviously I play other games too, but it's always TLOU that tips me over. Both games are so great. First one is 10/10 without hesitation, 2nd one is prolly 9/10 for me.

As for the show, I only saw the 1st episode yet, but so far so good. Let's hope the whole series turns out well.
Didnt TLOU 2 come to PS4 first before PS5 launched??

Looking forward to it's PC launch. Some PS series are just too great to leave out playing eg God of war, Uncharted, Last of us, Persona....

I remember when I picked up The Last of Us on PS2, back in 2014. It was a random pick, I didn't know anything about the game, nor watched any trailer. I'd never do that now, but actually, it was better, because I didn't know what to expect and it just blew my mind. I've played and replayed both games countless of hours. So, I'm very fond of the franchise and I had a bad feeling when they decided to make a show, because of the usual "creative freedom" trash, that ruins most of them. But wow, it turned out, this is the best adaptation of a game ever. I sure don't want to get ahead of myself, there have only been two episodes, but it looks they stuck religiously to the source material and the minor deviations are only there to explain the setting better. Who would have known that's the recipe for success? Just every gamer you'll ever ask. No wonder more people want to play the games, the Naughty Dog storytelling is amazing. The games are visually and action wise top notch and a PC port makes perfect sense.

Anyone know if the PC version of TLOU will support the Dualsense exclusive features such as adaptive triggers and haptic feedback if I use a PS5 Dualsense (via wired or wireless) controller on my PC?

Anyone know if the PC version of TLOU will support the Dualsense exclusive features such as adaptive triggers and haptic feedback if I use a PS5 Dualsense (via wired or wireless) controller on my PC?
Nothing's been confirmed but I don't see why not, games like Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition kept the Duelsense features on the PC if used with a Duelsense controller.

I thought the first game was pretty good but somewhat overrated. But in this day and age I don't see why anyone would still be interested in it. It's very dated at this point....but hey to each his own.

The second one...oh man I just could not do it. I tried and found it too annoying.

But I have different taste than the majority on a lot of games. Like I HATE GTA for example. Never understood what people liked about it. Or even The Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption...I have tried multiple times to get into those games and just can't do it.

Maybe I'm weird....

Last edited:
I knew this was going to happen. People want to play with what they see on TV or in Movies.

I downloaded TLOU again, I never completed it as I often got bored compared to Uncharted games which I'll gladly replay over and over.

I thought the first game was pretty good but somewhat overrated. But in this day and age I don't see why anyone would still be interested in it. It's very dated at this point....but hey to each his own.

The second one...oh man I just could not do it. I tried and found it too annoying.

But I have different taste than the majority on a lot of games. Like I HATE GTA for example. Never understood what people liked about it. Or even The Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption...I have tried multiple times to get into those games and just can't do it.

Maybe I'm weird....

The original release on PS3 goes back to 2013. But that's not what this post is about so, the original concept is dated yes, but this is a highly upgraded experience.
Maybe PC gamers who have never played it at all? Just a wild guess...So you mentioned all the games you don't like. How about naming a few that you do enjoy? Just curious is all.

It only takes 2 episodes to claim a television series a "success" these days? Wow. How far the bar has fallen. :)
Well if it drove sales numbers of the game up that much then one could probably call that an initial success. Time only can tell if it stays this way. A few people I've spoken to have been somewhat dubious due to how they (HBO) bungled the end of game of thrones. The bar is pretty low indeed.

As for TLOU. I haven't watched it yet but I heard they removed the spores in this adaption. Which does not sound very true to the source material if you ask me.

I suppose time will tell if people will revile this like the witcher adaption or not...

The original release on PS3 goes back to 2013. But that's not what this post is about so, the original concept is dated yes, but this is a highly upgraded experience.
Maybe PC gamers who have never played it at all? Just a wild guess...So you mentioned all the games you don't like. How about naming a few that you do enjoy? Just curious is all.
You talking about the updated graphics version from a few years ago? Same game....still dated and the graphics are not impressive. If that is the highly upgraded experience you're talking about then I'm sorry but it's just not. I watched my daughter play the "remake" on PS5 and imo it was nothing to get excited about. But I have not seen much on the PC version so if they are adding something new to it then...ok.
But that said I also did say "to each his own" and that I tend to have different taste and even listed popular games I could not get into. Your reply comes off like I may have struck a nerve for some reason. Are you offended that I don't like a game that you like?

Generally I play MMOs, ARPGs and FPS with some 3rd person games here and there.
I liked some of the assassins creed games, Diablo, Elden Ring, WoW, FFXIV, Grim Dawn, Horizon (PS5), Fallout 4, Divinity, Metro, Elder Scrolls....just off the top of my head.
All those games are well liked by the masses but my point was that some really popular games I can't get into for whatever reason.

EDIT: Oh I forgot the Deadspace remake...that is one I will buy. Loved the original.

Last edited:
I'm not offended at all if you like a game I like or not. Why would I care?

Your post just struck me as odd as though you didn't really think before you posted the message. The article you are replying to was written about the upcoming PC release of 'The Last of Us' part 1.

You asked 'who would care about a game so dated' and I answered the question. PC gamers who have never played it, that's who. I don't have a PlayStation or any other gaming console. I never buy them. I'm a PC gamer, through and through. So, I have never experienced the game at all, save a brief exposure to the demo on PlayStation 3 (or 4) ... this was years ago on a relative's console. It looked good but I never bothered with it then because I don't have a console.

You say you watched your daughter play the PS5 remake and you wasn't impressed. Well, that's because you're no longer a virgin to the game. You gave up your virginity years ago and you can't get it back now. Yes, it's the same game it always was..for you...nothing for you to see here.

But most PC players are probably looking forward to this since it will be their first experience with the title and it's ultimate form. Same game yes, being released with updated graphics to a whole entirely separate universe, PC gamers.

I'm not offended at all if you like a game I like or not. Why would I care?

Your post just struck me as odd as though you didn't really think before you posted the message. The article you are replying to was written about the upcoming PC release of 'The Last of Us' part 1.

You asked 'who would care about a game so dated' and I answered the question. PC gamers who have never played it, that's who. I don't have a PlayStation or any other gaming console. I never buy them. I'm a PC gamer, through and through. So, I have never experienced the game at all, save a brief exposure to the demo on PlayStation 3 (or 4) ... this was years ago on a relative's console. It looked good but I never bothered with it then because I don't have a console.

You say you watched your daughter play the PS5 remake and you wasn't impressed. Well, that's because you're no longer a virgin to the game. You gave up your virginity years ago and you can't get it back now. Yes, it's the same game it always was..for you...nothing for you to see here.

But most PC players are probably looking forward to this since it will be their first experience with the title and it's ultimate form. Same game yes, being released with updated graphics to a whole entirely separate universe, PC gamers.
The gameplay remains the same and the graphics are not going to blow you away. It's like when I bought the Diablo II remake....new graphics and all and I could not go back to the old gameplay. It was just too dated imo. That is how TLOU is for me....but like I said that's just my opinion. I personally didn't think it was as good as the majority thought it was even when it was new so maybe that's part of it as well. But that said you may love it. Everyone may love it....who knows? I just don't see the hype justification myself but I hope I'm wrong and that everyone loves it. Good luck and give me some honest feedback once you play it and let me know what you think. I'm curious to find out.

The gameplay remains the same and the graphics are not going to blow you away. It's like when I bought the Diablo II remake....new graphics and all and I could not go back to the old gameplay. It was just too dated imo. That is how TLOU is for me....but like I said that's just my opinion. I personally didn't think it was as good as the majority thought it was even when it was new so maybe that's part of it as well. But that said you may love it. Everyone may love it....who knows? I just don't see the hype justification myself but I hope I'm wrong and that everyone loves it. Good luck and give me some honest feedback once you play it and let me know what you think. I'm curious to find out.

But the gameplay is supposed to remain mostly the same and I say mostly the same because I heard they actually tweaked the gameplay a bit to make it better, nothing dramatic to alter the core gameplay. Otherwise if they changed the gameplay then they would probably call it 'The Last of Us Part 2'. That would seem to make sense.
I was pretty impressed with the game when I saw the demo years ago. It seems to me what got this game the attention and praise and awards is the attention to details. IIRC. But this is a long time ago.

Not everyone is going to love it. There's always going to be a small percentage of people that are gonna ***** about something. That's just statistics of life. I just looked. The PlayStation 3 version of this game has 4 and 5 star ratings totaling 92% on Amazon's store page.

But that's a snapshot in time. Those same people who gave it 5 stars 10 years ago might only give 3 stars today because they're comparing it to todays games. I don't know if that's fair or not.

God Of War just released on PC also. That's another PlayStation series I've heard great things about but never actually played. So, I'll probably pick that one up someday on a sale also.

Last edited:
Back