The latest version of Denuvo DRM has been cracked

William Gayde

If you're into playing AAA gaming titles, you've likely heard of Denuvo and their anti-tamper technology. It hasn't had a very strong track record given that previous generations have consistently been cracked. The newest release of the software, Denuvo 4.8, has now also been cracked.

A group of software hackers calling themselves "CPY" was able to crack Sonic Forces. Many games such as Assassin's Creed: Origins, Football Manager 2018 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 use Denuvo 4.8 but Sonic Forces is the first such title to be cracked. Prior to this, Denuvo version 4.8 was able to protect games from piracy for nearly three months. While this doesn't sound like much, in the world of software cracking, it is a rather big achievement.

The specific details of the crack haven't been released for obvious reasons but we do have a general overview of how things went down. The crack is known as a bypass crack which means Denuvo still runs in the background but with much of its functionality disabled. It's not clear if this limited crack on a single game means a full-blown Denuvo 4.8 crack is on its way or if the team just got lucky with Sonic Forces.

One of the biggest complaints gamers have of Denuvo is that it constantly runs in the background. This means the game and DRM always communicate with each other to make sure everything is legit. Many have reported considerable performance drops because of this. Since this crack still requires Denuvo to run in the background, there won't be much (if any) performance gain.

Permalink to story.

The funny part is that they're putting DRM on games that no one wants to play and calling them AAA.

What is the definition of a AAA game these days? Something that's heavily marketed and has microtransactions?

PIty they didn't have this cracked before I wasted my money on Assassin's Creed: Origins.

Still no SLI support, have literally played it for about 10 minutes since I bought it.

Terrible.

Edit: Just to clarify, the reason I'm a little annoyed is I'm trying to play in 4k with two GTX 1080s

Last edited:
The most efficient way to stop cracking is to release a game totally broken and then patch it once a week. After a month they'll give up and after 3 months or so the interest into the game will be gone and the game can receive some actual patches.

XD

A true Rome II Total War Story.

PIty they didn't have this cracked before I wasted my money on Assassin's Creed: Origins.

Still no SLI support, have literally played it for about 10 minutes since I bought it.

Terrible.

I have had absolutely no problems with the game, but I don't run an SLI setup. That being said, I really enjoy the game. This is the first Assassin's Creed game I've enjoyed since like Assassin's Creed 3 I think.

I have had absolutely no problems with the game, but I don't run an SLI setup. That being said, I really enjoy the game. This is the first Assassin's Creed game I've enjoyed since like Assassin's Creed 3 I think.

Well it certainly is a good game and a better AC. The performance however really is shocking. 1080p with sorta high settings gets me an average 45fps with a GTX 1070 so yeah in hindsight the Xbox one X version may would have been the better choice.

The most efficient way to stop cracking is to release a game totally broken and then patch it once a week. After a month they'll give up and after 3 months or so the interest into the game will be gone and the game can receive some actual patches.

XD

A true Rome II Total War Story.

The most efficient way to stop cracking is to release a game totally broken and then patch it once a week. After a month, the people that actually paid money for the game will give up and after 3 months or so the interest into the game will be gone and the game can receive some actual patches to make the game playable for the only people left playing the game - pirates.

Great idea!!!!

Well it certainly is a good game and a better AC. The performance however really is shocking. 1080p with sorta high settings gets me an average 45fps with a GTX 1070 so yeah in hindsight the Xbox one X version may would have been the better choice.
I actually do have it for both PC and Xbox One X. It plays solid for me on PC, but I have a 1080ti. On console it also plays great, but at 30fps capped. I don't have a 4K display for my PC, but playing with more frames is so awesome. What does suck is it does look better on my TV though because I play it in 4K. So really it's either frames or looks. Honestly, the game is fine in 30fps.

I'm going to test the FPS on PC real fast just as a comparison.

UPDATE:

So I tested the game out and with all settings completely maxed out at 1080p resolution, I get anywhere from 62fps to 155fps. It all just depends on what I'm doing. I'd say that's not too bad at all for an open world game run at the max settings.

Last edited:
Will DEFINITELY be installing this for Injustice 2... wew! What a scam of a gaming investment that was *slaps forehead* -- NEVER AGAIN. With most of said game's content locked behind Great Grind Walls of China, many, if not most [non pathological] paying customers [with a life] will never get to experience a large swathe of the game's locked content (...including many character SPECIAL MOVES!).

Something even more definite is that said game will be the last Denuvo cancer infected product I EVER buy. No way I'm (I) supporting this kind of Orwellian 'pre-cognition' incrimination ware, and (ii) the performance hits the games take (from stuttery menus to literal in-game stoppages) are tantamount to selling a faulty product! If they think that games = oxygen, and plebes cannot do without them, they're about to be in for a rude shock...

The crash of the Ponzi gaming industry is nigh (as with film) -- anyone with any market knowledge can smell it a mile off -- and it will be caused, in no small part, to malware (like, Denuvo) and money junkie games producer greed that has taken the little substantive take-away this pastime once had, and turned it all into a fleecing scheme directed at society's lowest common 'cents' denominators.

The funny part is that they're putting DRM on games that no one wants to play and calling them AAA.
What is the definition of a AAA game these days? Something that's heavily marketed and has microtransactions?
You're not wrong. Injustice 2, for example, is a real stinker -- universally panned as being a step (or ten) back from the last game -- yet it is infected up the wazoo with said DRM ebolAIDS, all the same.

Of course, suffice it to say that they did it, not so much to stop pirating (which is inevitable in an 1's and 0's world, and DRM actually LOSES them sales, rather than preserve them), but because of its infamous, invidious LOOT BOX E-GAMBLING SYSTEM -- where content is locked behind near-insurmountable grind walls, in order to goad weak-willed gamer goyim to throw more shekels at (((them))), so as to gain access to the content they have already paid for in full and rightfully own.

So, it's clearly nothing to do with the quality of the product per se -- in fact, I'd argue it's more likely they'll implement said malware in games that they sense WON'T do so well (thereby not risking as much). It's all do to with one, monosyllabic word that defines the one, true religion of this god-forsaken species:

G R E E D

Back