The Matrix PowerWatch is powered entirely by your body heat

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Whether or not smartwatches are already on the way out the door is still up for debate. One thing that most people can agree on is that battery life remains an issue on almost every wearable currently on the market.

That won’t be an issue with the Matrix PowerWatch, however, as this particular wearable is powered entirely by your body heat using advanced thermoelectric technology.

As with other wearables, the PowerWatch is capable of syncing to an Android or iOS device where it can track your steps, monitor calories burned and keep tabs on the quality of your sleep. A single button press offers up the option to set a timer or access a stopwatch. It’s also capable of showing you how much electricity your body heat is generating in real-time.

At the heart of the Matrix PowerWatch is the AMBI Q which the company tells Engadget is the world’s lowest power-consuming microprocessor. It’s far from a full-featured smartwatch like you’d find from Samsung or Apple but again, it doesn’t ever require that you take it off to charge it.

Matrix Industries is seeking funding for the PowerWatch on Indiegogo. With two months remaining in its campaign, Matrix Industries has generated over $66,000 toward its $100,000 flexible funding goal. A pledge of $99 (free shipping in the US) gets you on the list to take delivery of a PowerWatch in July of next year.

Permalink to story.

Or just buy (like I did) when my 8 year old digital watch died, a 30 dollar Casio digital that tells time, date, stopwatch, multiple time zones, and a battery that is claimed to last 10 years. Beats having to charge it
or baby it, afraid you might scratch, dent, damage it.

Smartwatches are one of the dumbest ideas.

If we were harvesting our own methane, it would run our smart watch + smartphone.

The problem is - harvesting it isn't exactly marketable, not in the modern society.

If this is somewhat comparable to the fitbit trackers, I'd much rather have this, although I don't see a need to have either.

Or just buy (like I did) when my 8 year old digital watch died, a 30 dollar Casio digital that tells time, date, stopwatch, multiple time zones, and a battery that is claimed to last 10 years. Beats having to charge it

It's called innovation and technology. I know it's a crazy thought for a tech website to show an article about new tech. I guess smartphones are dumb too. Who needs one when you just need a burner phone to make phone calls, right? Smartwatches are the next step without a doubt. They are still young as far as the tech goes and there is a long way to go before they become the replacement for a standard watch. This watch is absolutely a step in the right direction and I fully support it.

Sure if I just wanted to look at time, I could also take my miniature sun dial which needs no power at all -Although I need to disclaim, it's a "female dog (Filtered)" on cloudy days-.

The idea sounds great, it's cheap, way too cheap for what we are used to and for my liking that smells fishy. Also, it's on indiegogo, everyone has had or read about bad experiences on crowdfunding, delays and things of the sort. Hell, NMS still doesn't ship the collectors edition lol.

Specially on this low prices, the guys that are building this could easily get a bank or another entity to fund them, it's not like we are talking about one trillion dollars -muahaha-.

PS: Manboobs on slow-mo... guys come on you are marketting it, slow-mo was good, man model was not, you know what to do.

I really hate to read about something like it exists then read in the last line that it is a crowdfund project
it does not have a fully working prototype
shame on you again, Shawn

I think I get it ! :)... It works by using the warm and a cold side technique. This means that you have to run all the time to body-heat the base and wind-chill the top. This watch is for outdoor activists only !

I think I get it ! :)... It works by using the warm and a cold side technique. This means that you have to run all the time to body-heat the base and wind-chill the top. This watch is for outdoor activists only !
only until the outer temperature reaches your body temperature. if air is over 37 deg celsius the watch will suck out your blood :)

Back