The once revolutionary mobile phone industry is in complete stagnation

Jay Goldberg

Staff
The big picture: Somebody needs to reignite excitement in the software ecosystem for phones. Semiconductor vendors have an opportunity to rejuvenate the industry, but the changes it would require for their organizations likely means someone else will capture the opportunity.

After spending much time reading through the Arm IPO materials, watching results come in, and generally bemoaning the sorry state of the mobile phone industry today. All companies with heavy mobile exposure have seen their stocks beaten down this year, probably none more so than Qualcomm. This point was driven home when Qualcomm announced that they had extended their supply agreement with Apple, resolving a major overhang, only to see their stock rise a tiny amount. There is no love for mobile on the Street.

Editor's Note:
Guest author Jonathan Goldberg is the founder of D2D Advisory, a multi-functional consulting firm. Jonathan has developed growth strategies and alliances for companies in the mobile, networking, gaming, and software industries.

We highlighted the big problem that Qualcomm faces a few months back when we noted that company is largely constrained by its heavily reliance on mobile alone for revenue, a condition that's unlikely to change until 2025 when automotive revenue should start to become material.

More generally, Qualcomm's problem stems from the maturity of the smartphone business. By this point, everyone on the planet has a phone (or two), with growth determined largely by upgrade cycles. There are also only a handful of customers left: Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, BBK (Vivo, Oppo et al), Transsion, and a few niche players.

Moreover, the category has lost all excitement for consumers. Apple launched the iPhone 15 this month, and cutting through their slick presentations leaves us with four new phones with little differentiation from previous devices – more megapixels? more dynamic islands? USB-C chargers? Be still our beating hearts...

The mobile phone industry has been in stasis for at least five years and could really use something to spice it up. None of this is lost on the hardware industry. They have been searching for the next growth leg for some time, and that in part explains all the hype around XR/VR/AR. But Meta's slow sales and Apple's price tag brought all that marketing down to earth. When even market leader Apple struggles to come up with new compelling features, the rest of the industry struggles to hold onto share and consumers face a dwindling set of reasons to upgrade.

We think the missing piece in all of this is software. The launch of the iPhone in 2007 brought software to the forefront of mobile and catalyzed immense change and growth. But in the ensuing years the whole landscape has ossified to the point that we have not seen any major change in software for over a decade. Apple continues to churn out small tweaks to iOS user experience. Android remains mired in fragmentation and deep ambivalence among users. A few months ago, we proposed that the industry needed Google to let go of Android and move into an open source project. We maintain that opinion, albeit we do so in the absence of any sign Google would even consider it.

There are some signs of hope on the horizon, or at least a potential path forward.

If Google is reluctant to make any changes to Android, the task of changing the software experience on mobile falls to the device and silicon makers. There is no reason that Qualcomm couldn't push forward a set of new software features that might excite (or at least interest) consumers. Yes, they would need to fit these into Android, but that is not insurmountable. Moreover, Qualcomm's customers would likely welcome any innovation they can lay their hands on as they seek desperately to build bulwarks against Apple's steady services-driven share gains and lock-in.

The scope for improvement here is vast. Running the gamut from private local ad hoc wireless networks seamlessly connecting users local devices, to new interface methods, to clever services for exchanging data between users. And, of course, there is AI. One of our big sources of caution around the current AI mania is that there are no clear use cases for consumers. The advent of LLMs and transformer-based models do offer immense potential, it's just that no one is quite sure how to make use of them yet.

We think this is an area where the silicon vendors could shine and deliver a lot of value to their customers. The trouble is that neither Qualcomm nor Mediatek have deep experience with software. True, a huge portion of Qualcomm's core engineering team works on "software" but that is mostly low-level functionality around wireless standards and device drivers for Android and Windows.

In studying AI recently, we realized that there is a huge divide between chip companies like Nvidia who have trained their own AI models and pretty much everyone else who has not. We have to wonder if Qualcomm has built their own model, and we suspect the answer is no, at least not at any real scale. Qualcomm has an immense amount of data on how consumers use their devices (not as much as Google or Apple, but still a lot). They should task a team to work through that data at a very large scale, and then pair that team with a few hundred experts in user interfaces and consumer software usage. We imagine that combination could come up with some important advances very quickly.

We recognize that all of this is probably beyond the realm of the possible. Asking Qualcomm, or any other semis company, to transform themselves into a software company is unlikely to happen, at least to the scale that we envision. More than anything, all these companies would have to contend with their own organizational structures, and carving out space in those for a 1,000 person software engineering team with an intangible goal is something that few companies can ever really manage. We have actually had some version of this conversation with several companies but the response has always been a blank, uncomprehending state or a polite suggestion to turn the conversation to Bluetooth drivers, a much more manageable topic.

All that said, the stakes are incredibly high. Absent some significant change in the ecosystem, there is nothing on the horizon that is going to break the mobile industry out of its torpor. Or more likely, some tiny software team today is building an AI app that will up-end the industry, but leave no incremental value for the semis suppliers.

The industry's current stasis, as well as the potential offered by AI, provide an opportunity to rejuvenate the market, but as things stand now, it looks unlikely that any of the incumbents will be the ones to spark that fire.

Permalink to story.

Windows 10 Mobile was a cool operating system, but everyone dumped it for Android and iOS. Now the market is stagnant, who would have thought…
No, it wasn't cool. I've owned a Lumia 710, then a 720, then a 830, then a 950. Many features were missing, the rest were often slow or buggy. They lacked even the most basic capabilities for years, like VPN or even copy-paste. Or proper multi-tasking with background services. They also rebooted their mobile platform at least THRICE. No wonder everyone jumped ship eventually. They were in constant catch-up with the rest, and they were losing. Then acquired Nokia, and then let it die, too.

If you think this is the player that would drive innovation in the field, you're delusional.

Oh nooo, the market is finally mature, and we don't have to dump our phones every year for them to remain relevant. This is horrible, how can we remain mindless consumers now?! Someone, quick, throw a pie or something!!

What a nonsensical article, really. There's no long-standing market that stays "fresh" forever. The current buzz is around EVs and RE, just leave smartphones be, they're fine. I don't need "excitement" to settle my phone purchases.

Here's a new idea for the stagnant-and-bored mobile industry: get rid of software bloat. There's simply no reason for nearly every app to require >100mb for the trivial functionality most apps provide. At this point the only selling points of new phones for me are the increase in storage that comes from newer kit and a refresh of a tired battery.

Here's a new idea for the stagnant-and-bored mobile industry: get rid of software bloat. There's simply no reason for nearly every app to require >100mb for the trivial functionality most apps provide. At this point the only selling points of new phones for me are the increase in storage that comes from newer kit and a refresh of a tired battery.

Get rid of built in software bloat. My Apple devices now load with so much crap from Apple that we never use. I personally only use email, messenger, health/fitness, music and the phone. That's it. Everything else apple loads on the phone is bloat.

Getting rid of bloatware and "charge to play" software like photo editors, etc. will be needed to rejuvenate the market. People are simply tired to being nickle'd and dime'd to death by these people to the point that we very well may see the demise of the smart phone. Hard to believe but it's been known to happen to other industries ...

Get rid of built in software bloat. My Apple devices now load with so much crap from Apple that we never use. I personally only use email, messenger, health/fitness, music and the phone. That's it. Everything else apple loads on the phone is bloat.
True, but unlike on the Android side, you can uninstall the majority of Apple's bloat, down to their core apps. Here I am, stuck with disabling 19 apps on my S23+, wishing I could disable another 20, but don't get the option. I don't even get the option to uninstall this **** from my device.

If NVIDIA get the hands on ARM maybe we will have DLLS on phones also. And then you should change your phone with every new iteration of DLSS.

Now seriously talking what more redisign of the UI or APP's can we have?
Back in the days all phones had different menus and ways of input, now the touch interface is mature and I dont think there is much to improve.

True, but unlike on the Android side, you can uninstall the majority of Apple's bloat, down to their core apps. Here I am, stuck with disabling 19 apps on my S23+, wishing I could disable another 20, but don't get the option. I don't even get the option to uninstall this **** from my device.

Quite easy but with warranty loss, root the damn thing and kill KNOX but you would have a clean phone. The way apps are marked as system apps in Android it's shlt.

They aren't going to get rid of bloatware because companies are paying them to put it there. Phone makers would have to raise the price of the phone to get rid of it and still break even and then people would just switch to a different brand instead of pay more.

Windows 10 Mobile was a cool operating system, but everyone dumped it for Android and iOS. Now the market is stagnant, who would have thought…
I use Square Home launcher for the aesthetic. It's really great and highly customizable. If you really liked that UI like I did, totally worth doing. I've got mine set to translucent glass-like tiles but you can make it straight up Windows-like.

I actually think phones are getting exciting again with midrange phones being the best they've ever been and foldables becoming kind of affordable (got my Fold 3 for $600 last year). Foldables are SERIOUSLY underrated for how much they improve the experience. Small screens suck and always will suck for the entertainment and productivity experiences we use phones for today.

Compared to other platforms, Apple has the least amount of bloat, and most of the included apps are actually quite useful to many people.

And furthermore, this is not like Windows, where DLLs and other junk are allover the registry and you spent lots of time to uninstall one program / app!. It takes literally 1 second to delete an app on Apple phones.

You should learn how to do it before criticizing something so benign!

No, it wasn't cool. I've owned a Lumia 710, then a 720, then a 830, then a 950. Many features were missing, the rest were often slow or buggy. They lacked even the most basic capabilities for years, like VPN or even copy-paste. Or proper multi-tasking with background services. They also rebooted their mobile platform at least THRICE. No wonder everyone jumped ship eventually. They were in constant catch-up with the rest, and they were losing. Then acquired Nokia, and then let it die, too.

If you think this is the player that would drive innovation in the field, you're delusional.
Let's clarify this. Windows 8 Mobile had no copy/paste or VPN, Windows 8.1 and onward did (including Windows 10 which you were responding to). In other words, there was a period of just under 2 years without these features, which is shorter than it was for iOS. The obvious and primary reason why Windows Mobile failed is because it started years too late.

Let's clarify this. Windows 8 Mobile had no copy/paste or VPN, Windows 8.1 and onward did (including Windows 10 which you were responding to). In other words, there was a period of just under 2 years without these features, which is shorter than it was for iOS. The obvious and primary reason why Windows Mobile failed is because it started years too late.
That ans the app situation. I used Windows Mobile and really liked it. I liked the user interface and I liked the phone it came on. If I could reasonably/responsibly use the phone still...I think I would.

I still think Microsoft should have stuck to Windows Mobile, with today's processors, a Samsung "Dex" style Windows desktop on a phone would be seriously powerful, it would also start to persuade developers to support Windows on ARM.

I'm still using a Pixel 3A as I don't play games on my phone, it still does what I need. Why waste money buying a new bit of shiny.

Smartphones, in just few years they got to surpass consoles GPU's in power. One may ask, where are the games, the apps? How is that power used?

This lack of graphical demanding and cpu intensive apps is what slowed the grow.

OK, phones like Samsung galaxy can be used as on desktop by simply connecting through USB 3.0 to a monitor. How crazy is that? Again, lack of computational need.

I think Google is kind off the culprit here. If on apple side there are some demanding games through their arcade. On Google there is little...

Play store is almost the same as it used to be back then... Didn't see to evolve at all.
Phones have to move from small apps to bigger more demanding ones.

If the pc games would start to be ported on little screens more often.

About bloat ware. After doing some tweaking, the difference was pretty good. Had 83h on standby and 36h predicted. There is that method through adb that is viable and doesn't require root. Look for adb bloat removal and do your bidding.

Each new model is still a rectangular slab of metal & plastic, with a glass front & back.
Oh, but with a HIGHER price.
It's a phone. What else do you want it to do? Look like the "Homer Simpson car" he thought of?

After reading your article, I think you have identified the problem without ever stating it or really understanding it. You state that you think new and exciting software is the answer, which I think is on the right track, then you start throwing ideas on the wall to see what sticks. New networking and/or connection methods, new interfaces, improvements/changes to how to we interact basically. I think the answer is both simpler yet much harder to come up with or imagine. What's needed is the next killer app. The first was the spreadsheet, which are now commodities. Now the cell phone and all that goes with it is a commodity. All you need is a brand new use case for the phone that will sweep the market. A new killer app.

Not as easy to do as it was to write.

1. need different form factor
2. need weight lighter than the lightest phone now
3. need form factor that doesn't require to use your hands

Engineers worked hard to implement something new but because everybody is trying hard to be apple look where are now. I'm just glad at least android manufacturers still made phones with built-in fingerprint reader because apparently apple think it's not needed.

LG used to be the "odd one out" making weird phones which only a handful of people want. LG did a lot of things right, but apparently their lack of aftersales (bootloop which was due to factory defect, few software updates) killed them. now with them gone we start to see Apple and Samsung slacking because the next competitors are so far behind.

if you look back LG did a lot of things right and often early. first wireless charging (LG Nexus 4), first ultrawide camera (G5), manual video recording (V10), first EIS (2007 Viewty), first few android with OIS (G2), one of the first to use USB-C 3.0 instead of 2.0 (G5), first 21:9 display (2009 BL40), first global phone with 1440p display (G3) and don't forget LG iconic dual-tap to wake and sleep. also LG noise suppression system works really well, you don't realize it until you use other phone to make a call that the other person can hear more noise than if you're using late LG flagship phones.

all these hardware innovations are practically dead except for foldable screen tech. now it's a just a normal race for the best chipset, most storage, fastest display, longest software update support. look at apple, practically no major design change from the past 4 years. you can put S21U on a softcase and normal people may mistake it for S23U.

This article is kinda of nonsense and talking a lot about Google and Qualcomm/AI and it has not to much to do with it. There IS something new:

- foldables but the tech is still not mature enough (screens too sensible, overall phones are too thick and expensive, Qualcomm chipsare still too power hungry)

- laptop market but Qualcomm chips are still too slow for it. That's why Apple did it and is having success

- to have more good software you need more space, if brands are charging for 256 GB models over 1000€ when I buy a fast 2 TB Samsung T7 SSD for less than 150€... then something is wrong. It's obvious that we can't have 50 GB games or a desktop-like experience

- DeX is fantastic but few other brands offer that possibility. If all brands including Apple offered that, the software would improve and a good part of the client's wouldn't need an extra desktop. But also 256 GB of internal storage without microsd limit a lot what people can do.

I actually think phones are getting exciting again with midrange phones being the best they've ever been and foldables becoming kind of affordable

It's the next thing but it will be adopted slowly until someone finds a way to make those phones as durable and as expensive as standard phones.

Its a phone, what more is there to bolt onto it?

Well it was a phone, now it is...a phone, a camera, multimedia editing machine, personal notebook, personal computer, home tech remote, gaming console, social networking and much more.

There is much to be done yet but brands (but Samsung) are not jumping in for more because they are bored and the stockholders want to earn, not to invest in new tech (foldables, much more storage, much better gaming, cooling solutions...).

If you had an iPhone that can unfold, you get home and plug it to a magsafe and keep using it as you Mac "Micro" M3 it would be awesome. But here Apple wouldn't be selling as many iPad Air and Mac Mini as it does. They don't want that. They search for another "source" of changes...

Ever since they sanctioned Huawei, competition lost one important player. Their phones were amazing every year, forcing Samsung and Apple to throw the best they had. Now, I own a S23 which is 99 percent the same as the S21 I replaced, all that for more money than I paid for my last Huawei P30.

Back