The Quest to Make a Better Video Game Controller

Off the top of my head my favorite 2D controller (non analogue stick) is probably the Sega Genesis. The D-Pad feels really good. Also the original PS1 controller.

The Game Cube controller was also pretty good. Especially for playing a game like Metroid Prime. The middle button is bigger than the others, which makes it more comfortable on a game like Metroid because that's the shooting button, and the Y and A buttons are next to it, which lets the thumb slide left or right to press it. It's very optimal.

Overall, my favorite controller is the PS4 controller.

I've despised flat "pad" controllers ever since the Intellivision (yes, I'm an old fart.)

I've always thought it was absurd to force players use their fat *thumbs* to perform the quickest most nimble movements. For decades, arcades used *joysticks* not "thumbpads" to control the action on screen because there is no question your Index finger is your most nimble finger. And if a game controller has more buttons than I have fingers... forget it. K.I.S.S. damnit.

The NES made "gamepads" the new standard and gamers have been paying for it ever since (not unlike how the QWERTY keyboard layout was invented for the first manual typewriters in order to *slow* typing to prevent the hammers from getting tangled up due to people typing too fast. And here we are in the 21st century still typing on computers using the irrational QWERTY layout.)

If I had my druthers, I'd toss "gamepads" on the ash-heap of history. Get rid of "controllers" entirely and move to "gesture" based controllers... first gloves (ala "Minority Report"), and eventually back to "camera" based control (which MS discontinued because the technology just isn't there yet.)

BTW: Get rid of keyboards too. Voice control is the future. The advent of "Smart Home Units" proves it.

Best controller? Keyboard + mouse. Second best was an old 6-button model I had, kind of a hybrid of a Genesis Street Fighter type and an XBbox controller. Best of all, the d-button was actually aligned with your thumb rather than your torso. It also had a throttle slider so your joystick could be used solely for looking around. Been tempted to get a game port to USB converter just to see if it would still work. I just ordered a Steelseries PSX-style Bluetooth controller that I'm hoping doesn't suck :p

Best controller? Keyboard + mouse. Second best was an old 6-button model I had, kind of a hybrid of a Genesis Street Fighter type and an XBbox controller. Best of all, the d-button was actually aligned with your thumb rather than your torso. It also had a throttle slider so your joystick could be used solely for looking around. Been tempted to get a game port to USB converter just to see if it would still work. I just ordered a Steelseries PSX-style Bluetooth controller that I'm hoping doesn't suck :p

The Stratus XL is pretty nice, however I have very little use on it so I can't speak for it's performance. I'm just saying, it's a sturdy good feeling controller. My friend has used it more to play GTA5 on my spare PC, because he's a console gamer primarily.

Er... mouse?

I thought everyone knew, the "best" controller is mouse and keyboard/G13, etc.
I play with two G13's, one for each foot....

I'd like to point out that the Xbox 360 controller is pretty much the best one ever made (I include the price in this assessment).

The Xbox One controller feels cheaper and wrong in comparison.

The PS2 was a big part of my childhood so it pains me to say but its awful. The whole design is just wrong. Also the PS3 controllers get sticky after a while and its analog buttons are weak. The PS4 dropped them completely so there's no gradual acceleration/breaking so that controller is a failure. Same goes for the Switch Pro controller.

Er... mouse?

I thought everyone knew, the "best" controller is mouse and keyboard/G13, etc.
I play with two G13's, one for each foot....

M&K is definitely superior in some genres, in others its the controller. I can barely enjoy FPS on console due to the lack of mouse support. But for racing games (yeah yeah steering wheel I know) and 3rd person adventures the controller is vastly superior.

The PS controller is uncomfortable for me. I have large hands and I don't like the symmetrical analog stick layout.

Xbox's controller is my favorite. It has asymmetrical analog sticks and slightly angular action buttons.

My problem is the materials used in the Xbox One controller are noticeably cheaper than the Xbox 360's. I've gone through 4 Xbox One controllers. The triggers and action buttons - and D-pad don't hold up well.

Last edited:
I really like the Xbox One controller, it's an updated and superior version of the Xbox 360 controller that was without doubt, the best controller.

Xbox one controller has got to be the best atm. Feels comfortable and natural to hold, reinventing the wheel is not necessary right now

If you're playing FPS, Keyboard and mouse is hands down better than a controller can be. You use every one of your left digits and then your right hand uses at least 3.

I'll stick with my Logitech Gamepad F310 - still under $20 in stores, and works great for a couple of years before the switches get unreliable, and then I buy another one ($15 on Amazon) (on my third one in 8 years). I certainly wouldn't pay $150 for a controller.

I just want quality, after two broken ps4 controllers I'm never buying firsthand sony controllers again even when they feel and are one of the best controllers otherwise. None of the "pro"-controllers (raiju, nacon, xboxeite) have had any problems, well nacon has a horrible removable cable that will have broken connection soon so wouldn't recommend that if you can't get it with fixed cable. Well maybe there's something other than quality, if it has removable cord make it micro usb or something standard, you should avoid nacon and their BS cable.

XBOX has had the best controller for a while. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Not really everytime the analog stick wears out after a short amount of time then need to rma or take it back for a refund.
That controller is not the best, ps3 - ps4 controllers are the sweet spot for gaming.
Then again with a price tag at 49.99 almost everywhere you may as well contend with xbox controllers and hope they don't break easily.
I've taken back 10+ xbox controllers since late 2010, I'm not really liking that or microsoft who makes them.

M&K is definitely superior in some genres, in others its the controller. I can barely enjoy FPS on console due to the lack of mouse support. But for racing games (yeah yeah steering wheel I know) and 3rd person adventures the controller is vastly superior.

This is where most PC gamers will disagree with you.

It doesnt matter what game.

You guys breaking your controllers... what the hell are ya'll doin?!!?!? damn

Been gaming since the NES, and I can't say I've ever broken a controller.... now my friends have when I beat them constantly... but when I get mad, I don't take it out on the controller. lol

Not really everytime the analog stick wears out after a short amount of time then need to rma or take it back for a refund.
That controller is not the best, ps3 - ps4 controllers are the sweet spot for gaming.
Then again with a price tag at 49.99 almost everywhere you may as well contend with xbox controllers and hope they don't break easily.
I've taken back 10+ xbox controllers since late 2010, I'm not really liking that or microsoft who makes them.

I haven't taken any back, and PS had convex thumbsticks too close together for far too long before they wised up and went concave.

I haven't taken any back, and PS had convex thumbsticks too close together for far too long before they wised up and went concave.
Well more power to you then however you need to check other reviews for Xbox one 360 controllers.
Then you can began to understand why I am fed up with microsofts 50 dollars controllers.

Back