The Razer Phone 2 could arrive in September alongside the Project Linda laptop

midian182

Staff member

It was just over two months ago when Razer unveiled its first-ever smartphone, the gamer-focused Razer Phone. Now, rumors have surfaced claiming that the successor could arrive this September, possibly at IFA 2018. Additionally, it could be unveiled alongside the Project Linda laptop first shown off at CES.

According to an “internal source” at Razer who spoke to FrAndroid, the Razer Phone 2 is set to arrive the same month as the Berlin-based IFA, which suggests the handset will debut at the consumer electronics and home appliances trade show.

The Razer phone was praised for its 120Hz screen, 4,000 mAh battery, 8GB of RAM, and front-facing Dolby Atmos speakers certified by THX. But the disappointing camera and lack of water-resistance let it down in some people’s eyes. No word on what we’ll see in the next version, but expect Razer to address these complaints.

Razer used the recent CES event to showcase its Project Linda concept—a modified Razer Blade containing a dock for the Razer Phone where you’d normally find a touchpad. As Linda is a “dumb laptop” consisting of little more than a chassis and a screen, you’re essentially using the phone’s power to turn it into an Android laptop.

FrAndroid’s source says Razer execs will be deciding whether to move Linda from the concept stage to production within the next few days, but such a move does look to be on the cards. In a tweet to popular YouTuber Marques Brownlee, a.k.a. MKBHD, company CEO Min-Liang Tan suggested it might happen.

Permalink to story.

On the one hand, t is an interesting idea.

Ont he other, there are some major flaws:

1) it requires razer's phone, which isnt super popular. battery life isnt long enough to convince me to switch from my moto z play, and it being GSM only means it wont work on verizon, sprint, or us cellular, which wipes out a lot of potential buyers.

2) Android gaming sucks. The one big game it has is XCOM: Enemy unknown. But iOS has that, FTL, CIV VI, and others.

3) production sucks on android, apps are too limited in how they can transfer files, and Android isnt great for using multiple apps at once, not to mention the limited power of a phone

4) for the price of a razr phone and laptop, you can purchase a decent mid range dedicated laptop and get a $200-300 phone instead, which offers a lot more flexibility.

5) this would require the phone to not have a case, which is an immediate NOPE from me. Any phone over $200 is gonna have a protective case of some kind.

6) every future version of this will need a new laptop, putting quite a restrictive lifespan on this machine.

Razr should be putting more effort (and way more power, AMD APU perhaps) into their current 12" machine instead of trying to turn their phone into a laptop.

Project Linda doesn't sound like something Razer would name. It doesn't sound gamery enough.

1) it requires razer's phone, which isnt super popular.
Ofcourse they are gonna make it exclusive to Razer phone. Can't make a layout that will fit every phone.
and Android isnt great for using multiple apps at once
It actually is really good. Where did you get that? iOS can't even use splitscreen like Android can, it can just switch between.

The reason I'm not interested in this is because you can just use the phone besides a laptop without attaching it inside the laptop. You don't get much.

Raise your hand if you want to buy a smartphone that's obsolete the moment you purchase it - attached to a laptop that'll be obsolete within a year or two...

While I like the idea of Laptops being able to access the internet through a smartphone, I believe that NO ONE wants to be forced to put down their smartphone and use it as a "touchpad".

Love the idea, But won't be buying anything Razor again any time soon.

Kinda waiting for something like this but I can't see it replacing my laptop until there is a different OS (I think Ubuntu gave up on their efforts too :( ).

Back