The Rock teams up with JBL and Under Armour on a pair of over-ear sports headphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: American sports apparel company Under Armour is once again joining forces with audio equipment manufacturer JBL and Hollywood’s busiest man, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, on the launch of a new set of over-ear headphones that are ready to lay the smack down on your candy as... er, ears.

American sports apparel company Under Armour is once again joining forces with audio equipment manufacturer JBL and Hollywood’s busiest man, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, on the launch of a new set of over-ear headphones that are ready to lay the smack down on your candy as... er, ears.

The Under Armour Project Rock Over-Ear Training Headphones (that’s a mouthful) are true wireless (Bluetooth 5) sports headphones boasting up to 45 hours of playtime (or 35 hours with adaptive noise cancellation enabled) from their 610mAh polymer lithium-ion batteries. A five-minute recharge is all that’s needed to gain another two hours of playback time, we’re told.

Each can features washable ear cushions and a 40mm (1.57”) dynamic driver with the following audio specifications:

• Driver sensitivity at 1kHz/1mW (dB): 102 dB SPL@1 kHz / 1mW
  • Dynamic frequency response range (Hz): 20 Hz - 20 kHz
  • Impedance (ohms): 32

JBL said The Rock himself fine-tuned the JBL Charged Sound profile to his exact specification.

ANC comes standard, as does the IPX4 rating, which protects against water splashes from any direction. You also get hands-free commands that are compatible with both Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant.

Background noise can be controlled via two modes. TalkThru lowers the volume of music so you can chat with others without having to remove the headphones, while Ambient Aware is said to deliver a more immersive listening experience with increased ambient sound for safety outdoors.

The Under Armour Project Rock Over-Ear Training Headphones are available to purchase as of writing for $299.95 over on JBL’s website. They’re available in any color you choose, so long as it is black, and come with a 12-month subscription to MapMyFitness Premium (a $29.99 value).

Permalink to story.

It used to be that the cheap, cash-in, celebrity endorsed headphones at least went for celebrity musicians or people involved in the music industry but this?

This is just "You're famous? Ok: you're my marketing campaign now. No I don't care about what you do or your areas of expertise, I just need to literally transform the popularity of your name into sales"

It used to be that the cheap, cash-in, celebrity endorsed headphones at least went for celebrity musicians or people involved in the music industry but this?

This is just "You're famous? Ok: you're my marketing campaign now. No I don't care about what you do or your areas of expertise, I just need to literally transform the popularity of your name into sales"
Bruh for real. I love the Rock and all. But this guy is literally involved in everything.

Bruh for real. I love the Rock and all. But this guy is literally involved in everything.
Yeah and just to be clear if the dude is offered money to endorse a product, he should make his buck: the people that are putting their foot on their mouth are the headphones people not the rock by just grabbing endorsement from whomever they can find as if this was a commercial for snacks or cereal.

Yeah and just to be clear if the dude is offered money to endorse a product, he should make his buck: the people that are putting their foot on their mouth are the headphones people not the rock by just grabbing endorsement from whomever they can find as if this was a commercial for snacks or cereal.

I disagree. I think a celebrity has to believe in the product they are being paid to promote. I dont think Rock even needs this money. But then again taxes and insurance on luxurious mansions can be expensive on a yearly basis. Whatever.
I think Rock could be doing this out of kindness and his response would be "Why not?". I hear Michael Jordan is very selective about the products he endorses. I think that is the way it should be.
I started laughing, though, when I read the part about Mr.Johnson fine tuning the profile. Hehehe, that's like me fine tuning my GMail preferences. That takes all of, what, 5 minutes? Yep, hes invested in this project deep now. Hehehe.

There must be an abundance of kids under 13 years of age who want to be like the Rock. Probably many under the age of 30 too.

I wouldn't touch anything associated with him. He had to get all woke and political.
Couldn't just be a (fake) wrestling and actor. Had to get all up into everyone's face
about this or that. Sorry Dwayne...DONE!

About friggin' time! There's just no over-ear sport BT headphones, period. Can't wait.

To those whining about Johnson: grow up.

I started laughing, though, when I read the part about Mr.Johnson fine tuning the profile. Hehehe, that's like me fine tuning my GMail preferences. That takes all of, what, 5 minutes? Yep, hes invested in this project deep now. Hehehe.
This could be that lazily done, what if he actually had them tuned to sound the way he wants them to sound? This could be a good thing, or a very bad thing as how things sound is very subjective as well as a matter of taste and preference in music genres. Did they get tuned to reproduce classic music at it's finest or heavy metal, could be tuned for explosions and gun fire if it's too be based on his movie career.

I know I will never know as I have no need for such a headset.

Back